Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crudebuteffective

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 22, 2024, 06:16:09 AMI'd prefer a new subject; a 1/350 Black Swan class sloop from WW2.

Some videos from Drachinifel to whet your appetite & explain why I'd like to see this particular class of ship in this (my) ship scale;

There is one more to come.

YEP HMS STARLING OR AMETHYST
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

Weaver

Okay I've replied to Airfix's tweet with everything relevent to Vintage Classics from here.  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitbasher

Quote from: Weaver on July 22, 2024, 11:03:25 AMOkay I've replied to Airfix's tweet with everything relevent to Vintage Classics from here.  :thumbsup:

Top chap, thank you 👍
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Beermonster58

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 22, 2024, 05:53:39 AMThe problem with some of these requests for Vintage Classic releases is that the moulds don't exist anymore, or at least no one knows where they are as Airfix have moved/changed ownership so many times over the years. Some that do exist possibly should have been "lost" years ago as well, but that's a different story.
A reasonable point and, perhaps one Airfix could address by actually telling us what CANNOT be introduced into the range because moulds are not available?
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Beermonster58

Quote from: zenrat on July 22, 2024, 05:34:51 AM
Quote from: Beermonster58 on July 21, 2024, 10:00:48 PM
Quote from: Weaver on July 21, 2024, 06:59:54 AMAirfix are on Twitter ("X" :rolleyes: ) asking if they should re-pop the Boeing Vertol 107-11 kit as a Vintage Classic.

https://x.com/Airfix/status/1814631601654923371

Thoughts?
Only positive thoughts  ;D  I'd be happy with it. The Swedish "fields and meadows" scheme would be real fun!. However, I'd rather they first issued the oft requested but still ignored B N Islander/Defender & Short Skyvan. I'm sure we all have our lists of possible Vintage Classic contenders too ;
Fokker F.27
Super Mystere B.2
McDonnell F-2H Banshee
F-86D Sabre
F-84F Thunderstreak
F-4D Skyray
Dornier Do -17E/F
Grumman Duck
Vought Kingfisher
Maybe even the B-26 Marauder (though, I appreciate it WAS reissued just a few years back)
A-1D Skyraider

Ariel Arrow
BSA C15
BMW R69
All the 54mm figures (especially the cavalry)
Ford Zodiac
Ford Capri
Austin Maxi

They can keep the wheely things but, certainly agree on the 54mm figures - recently managed to get the English Civil War Collection! ;)  ;D  :thumbsup:
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 22, 2024, 05:53:39 AMSome that do exist possibly should have been "lost" years ago as well, but that's a different story.

I think I've built all of those!  ;D  ;D  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

scooter

Quote from: Beermonster58 on July 22, 2024, 09:53:01 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 22, 2024, 05:53:39 AMThe problem with some of these requests for Vintage Classic releases is that the moulds don't exist anymore, or at least no one knows where they are as Airfix have moved/changed ownership so many times over the years. Some that do exist possibly should have been "lost" years ago as well, but that's a different story.
A reasonable point and, perhaps one Airfix could address by actually telling us what CANNOT be introduced into the range because moulds are not available?
Depends on whether or not they even know what moulds they have
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: scooter on July 23, 2024, 12:15:51 AMDepends on whether or not they even know what moulds they have

It surely can't be THAT difficult to take a look?  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

They should make sure they are viable for use and if not, either put in the work to restore them or not bother.  The Rotodyne is a real disappointment as the moulds need some love.  They managed to upgrade the clear parts on the Auster so they can do it if they want.

I built some of the 1/16 motorcycles in my youth.  Badly.  I'd love a chance to do them justice and add detail.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 23, 2024, 12:31:11 AM
Quote from: scooter on July 23, 2024, 12:15:51 AMDepends on whether or not they even know what moulds they have

Problem is Kit have they got the people who know what they are actually looking for ? When they find something that they think is it, is it ? Is it complete ? Is it good order ?  When a company changes hands and changes its production base so many times over the years then what appears to be a simple task like that is in actual fact a very difficult one. And when you start bringing cost/benefit analysis into it you have no chance.  :-\  Some of this stuff is so old you'd be better off bringing in a team of archaeologists  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: The Rat on July 22, 2024, 10:26:36 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 22, 2024, 05:53:39 AMSome that do exist possibly should have been "lost" years ago as well, but that's a different story.

I think I've built all of those!  ;D  ;D  ;D

;D  ;D

Quote from: Beermonster58 on July 22, 2024, 09:57:28 PMThey can keep the wheely things but, certainly agree on the 54mm figures - recently managed to get the English Civil War Collection! ;)  ;D  :thumbsup:

Fond memories of those, built all of them as it was before I could afford "lead" 54mm figures. They almost certainly still hold their own now, the horses in particular were very good.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

I know I probably come over as defending the, what is to some anyway, indefencible, but someone has to be their defence lawyer  :angel:

Anyway maybe we should form a Task Group and volunteer to go through and sort their old moulds out ? As long as they are in this country of course , and I'm only half joking  ;)

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 23, 2024, 05:17:52 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 23, 2024, 12:31:11 AM

Problem is Kit have they got the people who know what they are actually looking for ? When they find something that they think is it, is it ? Is it complete ? Is it good order ?  When a company changes hands and changes its production base so many times over the years then what appears to be a simple task like that is in actual fact a very difficult one. And when you start bringing cost/benefit analysis into it you have no chance.  :-\  Some of this stuff is so old you'd be better off bringing in a team of archaeologists  :angel:

Kit's already got The Hat.  But does he have the leather jacket to go with it?
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 23, 2024, 05:25:23 AMI know I probably come over as defending the, what is to some anyway, indefencible, but someone has to be their defence lawyer  :angel:

Anyway maybe we should form a Task Group and volunteer to go through and sort their old moulds out ? As long as they are in this country of course , and I'm only half joking  ;)
I'd volunteer.  As long as Airfix provides suitable transport (I'd be happy with round trip steerage on RMS QM2), a cot, a tent, a case or two of MoD MREs, and beer.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Weaver

As I understand it, they pretty much know what moulds they have and haven't got. The issue is that of getting an experienced person to assess the state of the mould, and then the cost/benefit of any repairs it might need.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 23, 2024, 05:17:52 AMSome of this stuff is so old you'd be better off bringing in a team of archaeologists  :angel:

Yeah, like US!

We'd know which moulds were which right away so long as could see the mould surfaces and not just the outer casings.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit