Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: Weaver on July 25, 2024, 02:38:08 PMOff the top of the my head, I think the Frdnch ones now have a sight called Viviane with IR capability, and export customers might have different ones again.

Does it have four starts in a row on the top front of it?
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Beermonster58 on July 25, 2024, 02:36:15 AMI had a look at the site and, regretted it instantly! ;)  ;D . They're still quite expensive but, I may have to treat myself regardless! ;D

You and me both  ;D  However I quickly reminded myself that there is no way I'd be able to paint one nowadays and my heart stopped pounding  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Another one for you Vintage Classics fans.

Out at Hannants now

Belvedere
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I want to read the reviews on the Belvedere first, let's hope they've re-done the clear bits, the old ones were DIABOLICAL!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 26, 2024, 10:35:03 AMI want to read the reviews on the Belvedere first, let's hope they've re-done the clear bits, the old ones were DIABOLICAL!

For what it's worth, the second reply on their Twitter("X" :rolleyes:) post announcing that it's out is me making exactly that point to them.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 26, 2024, 10:35:03 AMI want to read the reviews on the Belvedere first, let's hope they've re-done the clear bits, the old ones were DIABOLICAL!

I've just asked their spares department for a replacement port side canopy, my original issue one came with two starboard ones. If they supply it, I'll send the spare to them.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Gondor

If Airfix hasn't issued an improved set of clear parts, very likely, then perhaps some after-market company may do so. Very easy to make an accurate vac-form buck by 3D printing it.

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

Maintrack/Whirlybird did that with the original kit, but they also included a whole lot of parts to update the model to a proper RAF version, which made the whole lot pretty expensive, specially when it was in Whirlybird's hands!

I think OGL did one using that kit, and Whiffed it very nicely too into an AEW variant.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

The Belvedere clear parts are the same old tat.
You cannot view this attachment.

Screenshot from a rather horrible unboxing video. Shot way too close and the dude seems to think that we need to see his flippin' fingers all the time.
Belvedere

PR19_Kit

Grooooooooooooooooooan! :(

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Couple of other things from that video:

The instructions and decals have a scheme for an aircraft from the Belvedere Trials Unit at Odiham (1960). The instructions tell you to leave off the end-plate fins and cut off the tabs on the original tailplanes. I'm not sure if this is a poor attempt to replicate the production aircraft tail planes, or if the BTU aircraft were to some intermediate standard and it's accurate.

The video maker says a company is already working on a mask set for the cockpit glazings.

It might be worth it for somebody to do a resin correction kit. It'd be fairly complicated though: you'd need hollow cockpit halves with, at least, a separate chin glazing, new intakes (brass mesh?), new tailplanes and a new door.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Gondor

I think a whole new kit is the real answer as the Airfix one is "not fit for purpose" shall we say?

zenrat

Quote from: Gondor on July 27, 2024, 03:04:39 AMI think a whole new kit is the real answer as the Airfix one is "not fit for purpose" shall we say?

They can do that after they've done the new Rotodyne Mould I feel they owe me.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Airfix have just announced a 1/48th scale Curtiss  Tomahawk Mk.II:

https://uk.airfix.com/products/curtiss-tomahawk-mkii-a05133a?

£28.99 - seems reasonable to me, but then I don't build 1/48th so I don't really know the market.

- Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Quote from: Weaver on July 28, 2024, 05:41:55 AMAirfix have just announced a 1/48th scale Curtiss  Tomahawk Mk.II:

https://uk.airfix.com/products/curtiss-tomahawk-mkii-a05133a?

£28.99 - seems reasonable to me, but then I don't build 1/48th so I don't really know the market.

This is, basically, just a re-pop of their 1/48 Curtiss P-40B Warhawk which sells for about AU$55.00 (₤27.99) here, which is in the upper range for a 1/48 Kittyhawk/P-40 kit (HobbyBoss P-40M Kittyhawk = AU$21.95 (GB₤11.18) & Italeri RAAF P-40E/K Kittyhawk = AU$54.95 (GB₤27.98)) but not unreasonable.

The question is "Do I need a P-40B in the stash?" & the answer is "No", I would much rather a Merlin-powered P-40F/L.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est