Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Does this mean that Airfix will be releasing the 1/72 N.A. RA-5C Vigilante again?

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 28, 2024, 07:16:53 AM
Quote from: Weaver on July 28, 2024, 05:41:55 AMAirfix have just announced a 1/48th scale Curtiss  Tomahawk Mk.II:

https://uk.airfix.com/products/curtiss-tomahawk-mkii-a05133a?

£28.99 - seems reasonable to me, but then I don't build 1/48th so I don't really know the market.

This is, basically, just a re-pop of their 1/48 Curtiss P-40B Warhawk which sells for about AU$55.00 (₤27.99) here, which is in the upper range for a 1/48 Kittyhawk/P-40 kit (HobbyBoss P-40M Kittyhawk = AU$21.95 (GB₤11.18) & Italeri RAAF P-40E/K Kittyhawk = AU$54.95 (GB₤27.98)) but not unreasonable.

The question is "Do I need a P-40B in the stash?" & the answer is "No", I would much rather a Merlin-powered P-40F/L.
Get rid of the carb scoop on the top and say it's powered by a Merlin with a V-1710-C type "long nose" planetary gearbox.

;D
You cannot view this attachment.

Beermonster58

Quote from: McColm on July 28, 2024, 11:50:13 AMDoes this mean that Airfix will be releasing the 1/72 N.A. RA-5C Vigilante again?

It's possible but, personally, it's not one I'd bother with.. It's not a bad kit and, I've got a couple which I will use for fun builds but, it's now up against the much better 2004 Trumpeter kit. Offhand, I could list several kits (as I'm sure others could) that I'd rather see reissued first. I personally love the concept of the Vintage Classic range and,most of my recent Airfix purchases have been from this range rather than new kits but, there are some that, quite frankly, should never have been allowed to see the light of day again. Still, nobody is forced to buy them! ;)  ;D
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

McColm

Quote from: Beermonster58 on July 29, 2024, 12:05:19 AM
Quote from: McColm on July 28, 2024, 11:50:13 AMDoes this mean that Airfix will be releasing the 1/72 N.A. RA-5C Vigilante again?

It's possible but, personally, it's not one I'd bother with.. It's not a bad kit and, I've got a couple which I will use for fun builds but, it's now up against the much better 2004 Trumpeter kit. Offhand, I could list several kits (as I'm sure others could) that I'd rather see reissued first. I personally love the concept of the Vintage Classic range and,most of my recent Airfix purchases have been from this range rather than new kits but, there are some that, quite frankly, should never have been allowed to see the light of day again. Still, nobody is forced to buy them! ;)  ;D
With Airfix's new plastic a lot of people will be disappointed especially those who bought the Fairey Rotodyne .I have built the Trumpeter kit but it has a few niggles to which a bit of photo research is required to get the parts to fit. I've always thought that the Vigilante would have made a good fighter bomber aircraft.
I read somewhere that the F-15 Eagle is celebrating 50 years in service .Yes there's better kits than the Airfix ones, any new releases?

Weaver

Which is fine as long as they know what they're getting. However it's a bit rough on a kid who's just done his first modern "shake'n'bake" kit, then opens a Vintage Classic expecting the same experience.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Some forthcoming releases in the Vintage Classics range :-

1/72 P.1127 (Kestrel)
1/72 Hampden
1/600 HMS Iron Duke
1/600 HMS Ajax
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 29, 2024, 07:46:56 AMSome forthcoming releases in the Vintage Classics range :-

1/72 P.1127 (Kestrel)
1/72 Hampden
1/600 HMS Iron Duke
1/600 HMS Ajax

The P.1127 is the one I'm waiting for. Note that it ISN'T a Kestrel though. The P.1127 had a delta wing, but the Kestrel had a swept one very similar to the final Harrier. The Kestrel looked very similar to the Harrier, but with an eyelid-covered camera in a rounded nose instead of a pointed "tin" one. It had flexible rubber intake lips which inflated in the hover and deflated in forward flight, but these were disable fairlly early on in the trials (I think).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rick Lowe

I still want to see some of the old 1/32 cars come out - even when the moulds have been modified.
And hopefully with new parts to return the modded ones to standard - plugs for bonnet holes, replacement wheels, etc.

Well, a fella can dream, can't he?  ;)

Beermonster58

Quote from: Weaver on July 29, 2024, 02:38:15 AM

Which is fine as long as they know what they're getting. However it's a bit rough on a kid who's just done his first modern "shake'n'bake" kit, then opens a Vintage Classic expecting the same experience.
I think we've all been there. That's a chance we all take with the hobby and, indeed, it's a chance we've surely all taken from the day we started. One could just as easily pick up, for example, a Hasegawa kit in a lovely, shiny new box and, find a 50+ year old kit inside!.

The Wooksta!

Hasegawa have been guilty of the "Old kit in new box at new prices" for years, just as much as Revell or Airfix yet much of the modelling press and community give Hasegawa a free pass yet Airfix were utterly slated for it. 
For some reason, the sun shines out of Hasegawa's arse and they can do no wrong.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Beermonster58

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 30, 2024, 12:41:53 AMHasegawa have been guilty of the "Old kit in new box at new prices" for years, just as much as Revell or Airfix yet much of the modelling press and community give Hasegawa a free pass yet Airfix were utterly slated for it. 
For some reason, the sun shines out of Hasegawa's arse and they can do no wrong.
No argument here.

zenrat

Hasegawa at least made a slight effort and put in new transfers and paint schemes.
Airfix don't even bother to do that.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

Yes, Airfix certainly did new schemes and decal options.  The Tucano was released in various boxings with new schemes, ditto the Hs 125 Dominie and the Bv141.  I can give quite a few more examples from the Humbrol/pre Hornby era. 

Even in the Hornby era, the older tools rereleased before the Classics, older kits were given new markings or parts Buccaneer S2, B-24, Fw 189, Fairey Battle, the 1979 tool Lancaster, the Halifax.  Need I go on?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 30, 2024, 04:05:12 AMYes, Airfix certainly did new schemes and decal options.  The Tucano was released in various boxings with new schemes, ditto the Hs 125 Dominie and the Bv141.  I can give quite a few more examples from the Humbrol/pre Hornby era. 

Even in the Hornby era, the older tools rereleased before the Classics, older kits were given new markings or parts Buccaneer S2, B-24, Fw 189, Fairey Battle, the 1979 tool Lancaster, the Halifax.  Need I go on?

Not in the vintage classics.  Same old same old.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..