Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 12, 2024, 08:07:41 AM
Quote from: Gondor on October 12, 2024, 08:00:17 AMYes, Paragon did it in both 1/72 and 1/48 if I remember correctly, certainly in 1/72. I still have most of the parts in 1/72.

Veeeeery interesting Alastair, thank you.  :thumbsup:

Is it the whole Lincoln conversion from a suitable Lanc kit. or just the long nose?

Going by Scalemates, the Mk 31 nose was separate. The glazing being vac-formed had rather soft detail.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

That would be an interesting article.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Beermonster58

Well, I'm glad I didn't order the Airfix £10 "Mystery" kit this week. It's the 1/72 Bf-109G. Now, I do actually have several and, I'm not interested in a discussion about whatever faults it has. I built them because I liked the marking options and, it was cheap. ;)  ;D . However, even someone with my limited perspective can see that that this "bargain" isn't much of a bargain!

I took a chance last week and, got the Swordfish. Not one I would normally have chosen but, a very nice kit and, a bargain for £10. I'll be wary before I choose any more of these "mystery" kits.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Gondor

On X, formally known as Twitter, Airfix are asking for ideas for next year's catalogue. I have yet to reply but I am thinking 1/72 Scimitar and Venom, the Venom in three versions, Single seat, two-seat RAF and Naval.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

zenrat

Quote from: Gondor on October 12, 2024, 09:30:00 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 12, 2024, 08:07:41 AM
Quote from: Gondor on October 12, 2024, 08:00:17 AMYes, Paragon did it in both 1/72 and 1/48 if I remember correctly, certainly in 1/72. I still have most of the parts in 1/72.

Veeeeery interesting Alastair, thank you.  :thumbsup:

Is it the whole Lincoln conversion from a suitable Lanc kit. or just the long nose?

Going by Scalemates, the Mk 31 nose was separate. The glazing being vac-formed had rather soft detail.

Gondor

Red Roo were selling the Blackbird Models Lincoln conversion set...
https://www.redroomodels.com/product/blackbird-models-avro-lincoln-conversion-1-72-scale/
...and their own enhancement set.
https://www.redroomodels.com/product/gaf-avro-raaf-lincoln-enhancement-set-1-72-scale/
When they had the conversion set in stock I was tempted but was put off by doubt over which Airfix Lanc kit it was designed for and just how easy it would be to source one.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on October 13, 2024, 03:05:59 AMRed Roo were selling the Blackbird Models Lincoln conversion set...
https://www.redroomodels.com/product/blackbird-models-avro-lincoln-conversion-1-72-scale/
...and their own enhancement set.
https://www.redroomodels.com/product/gaf-avro-raaf-lincoln-enhancement-set-1-72-scale/
When they had the conversion set in stock I was tempted but was put off by doubt over which Airfix Lanc kit it was designed for and just how easy it would be to source one.

Any of the modern Airfix Lancaster kits would do, even the Dambuster version.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

Geared to go with the 2013 tooling.  Woody did an excellent build on Britmodeller.

The Blackbird conversion, and the older DB and Flightpath ones if you can find them, are vastly better than the Paragon one.  The engine shape is off on those and I think underscale.  Paragon's was more complete than the Flightpath, as it has the correct rudders and wheels.  Another Paragon error was cutting the nose in the wrong place and as a result the new one doesn't fit.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Wooksta!

And yes, Scimitar and a Venom family in 72nd would be fab. 
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Doug K

Quote from: Gondor on October 13, 2024, 02:15:39 AMOn X, formally known as Twitter, Airfix are asking for ideas for next year's catalogue. I have yet to reply but I am thinking 1/72 Scimitar and Venom, the Venom in three versions, Single seat, two-seat RAF and Naval.

Gondor

Good ideas, I suggested all the Fairey Fireflys. MkI to AS7... ;)

scautomoton

Quote from: Gondor on October 13, 2024, 02:15:39 AMOn X, formally known as Twitter, Airfix are asking for ideas for next year's catalogue. I have yet to reply but I am thinking 1/72 Scimitar and Venom, the Venom in three versions, Single seat, two-seat RAF and Naval.

Gondor

If I was on X I'd suggest Javelin in 1/72 since the 1/48 is so highly regarded

Gondor

I have, since posting the information, made my suggestion adding that with careful design the three versions of Venom could be done. The more common parts that can be used for different versions then the less cost for the moulds, also more versions can be made so more options to sell the items as, so more revenue against the cost for the moulds.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

The single seaters are easy enough, with a new pod for the two seater, but a Sea Venom would need new undercarriage cut out, as well as wing fold and new roots. 

If Airfix were to do it, I suspect we'd just get the single seaters.  The whole family doesn't fit with their business model.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Weaver

Gondor

I've already made three replies to that post, using all 280 characters each time... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

Quote from: Weaver on October 13, 2024, 01:26:17 PM

Gondor

I've already made three replies to that post, using all 280 characters each time... :wacko:

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Weaver

Quote from: scautomoton on October 13, 2024, 09:38:37 AM

Gondor

If I was on X I'd suggest Javelin in 1/72 since the 1/48 is so highly regarded

Already done it for you. Done the Sea Vixen too: I even made the point that the Cyber-Hobby one is rubbish and they've already got the CAD data from the 1/48th one.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones