Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Don't Humbrol Acrylics thin with water then?

I thought all acrylics worked like that, could be why I've not had much success with them.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

IME you can thin acrylics with both water or acrylic thinners which is basically methylated spirits (AKA denatured alcohol).
However as you lot up there put purple dye in your metho it might not be a good idea to try using that.  Not in light colours anyway.
When brushing on acrylics I thin with water (or thinner if I want a longer drying time).  When hair brushing them I thin with thinner (usually Tamiya).
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

pyro-manic

It's isopropyl alcohol, not meths.

I find using acrylic thinner (Tamiya) is helpful for getting even coats, particularly of light colours, and for washes. You don't get the surface tension issues that you do when using water, so it will spread nicely along seams etc via capillary action, and won't "clump up". Only problem is that it evaporates rather quickly! This is good for painting as the coats dry nice and fast, not so much for accidentally leaving the lid off the bottle and losing it to the atmosphere...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

The Wooksta!

I've used screenwash for about a decade with little or no problem.  Big 2 litre tub is about a fiver at Wilkinsons.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 18, 2014, 04:20:47 PM
Don't Humbrol Acrylics thin with water then?

I thought all acrylics worked like that, could be why I've not had much success with them.  ;D

Yes they do and that's what I normally use but I want to try it on a couple of the metallic colours that have given me a problem. I'll also use it for cleaning. Keep small containers (old Tamiya jars) with various brands for cleaning.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on October 19, 2014, 05:42:41 AM
I've used screenwash for about a decade with little or no problem. 

Neat ? Or added to water ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Neat for paint and in water when cleaning the airbrush.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

Quote from: pyro-manic on October 18, 2014, 07:42:47 PM
It's isopropyl alcohol, not meths...

From Wikipedia Denatured alcohol or methylated spirits is ethanol that has additives to make it poisonous, extremely bad tasting, foul smelling or nauseating, to discourage recreational consumption. In some cases it is also dyed.
Denatured alcohol is used as a solvent and as fuel for spirit burners and camping stoves. Because of the diversity of industrial uses for denatured alcohol, hundreds of additives and denaturing methods have been used. The main additive has traditionally been 10% methanol, giving rise to the term "methylated spirits". Other typical additives include isopropyl alcohol, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone, and denatonium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol
So I wasn't going completely bonkers.  I was just getting my alcohols muddled.
I have some (clear) metho in the shed.  To satisfy my curiosity I shall experiment and see if it will work as thinners.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Quote from: zenrat on October 19, 2014, 07:36:32 PM...I have some (clear) metho in the shed.  To satisfy my curiosity I shall experiment and see if it will work as thinners.

Yes and no.  I thinned some Vallejo Modelcolor acrylic with methylated spirits (clear not purple) and while it worked just fine to thin the paint, when brushed onto a model it dried almost as soon as it was brushed out.
Not very useful if painting a large area like a wing but could be handy to know if you needed to paint a small part in a hurry - the night before a show for example.
The thinned paint left sitting on the palette separated into different colours more than usual but returned to it's original shade when mixed again and when brushed onto the model did not separate.
I did not airbrush paint thinned with metho but I feel it would dry before it hit the model and thus would not be successful unless you were deliberately seeking a rough textured finish such as a vinyl roof on a model car.

Fred

zenrat

The bloke in the kayak has obviously been working out and has increased his top speed as I just picked up the September Airfix Model World from the newsos.
Fred

Leading Observer

Got an email from Airfix to advise that the Swift is avaliable for pre-order for release 21/11/14 ;D
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

NARSES2

Great, thank you  :thumbsup:

Just need the Do 17 now

Captain Canada

Sweet ! I can see three or four in RCAF service.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Leading Observer

Also on pre-order 12/12/14 :thumbsup: Trouble is I can't find my Airfix Club discount code :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
LO

Leading Observer

Quote from: Leading Observer on October 27, 2014, 09:32:45 AM
Also on pre-order 12/12/14 :thumbsup: Trouble is I can't find my Airfix Club discount code :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
= Do17
LO