Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

I've kept most of the lid-type boxes to reuse, so whenever I start a kit that comes in a flappy box I move it to a proper one and throw out the flappy box.

NARSES2

Quote from: Hobbes on May 31, 2015, 06:25:17 AM
I've kept most of the lid-type boxes to reuse, so whenever I start a kit that comes in a flappy box I move it to a proper one and throw out the flappy box.

Absolutely Harro. I find the Revell boxes in particular are terrible
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

You can get cheap plastic boxes from Hobbycraft that are the same shape as a top-opening kit box. I use them for on-going projects where the original box is tatty or an end-opener.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Airfix have added the 1/72nd Meteor F.8 with Coronation Review markings back to the Airfix Club Special Editions kit list. Makes the list somewhat more attractive to me and maybe others too?

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/airfix-club-exclusive-kits.html
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

That's a cracking decal sheet in the Meteor F8 Club kit, well worth the money as you get a complete Meteor F8 kit as well.  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

What's the Meteor kit like? I wouldn't mind an F.8. I get the feeling it's not an Airfix mould.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

PR19_Kit

IIRC it's the Xtrakit/Sword mould. It's not bad, tons better than the ancient FROG Mk 8 that I used to have!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Mossie

The originals by MPM, the basic kit has made it way into many boxes, including Airfix (F.8 ) briefly as Hannants weren't too happy as the F.8 was being released by their Xtrakit label at the time, Revell (F.4), Xtrakit (F.8 and T.7) and Special Hobby (T.71/2).    All of those are in MPM boxes, also the F.I, F.III, FR.9, PR.10, prone pilot and Trent turboprop.  Just about the only major variants they don't do are the night fighters (the Xtrakit kit is the old Matchbox kit).

I've got the Xtrakit boxings of the F.8 and T.7.  Both pretty good in the box, top end of short run.  Review on t'web says it goes together well, no location pins so you'll need to add tabs.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Darn it, I meant MPM, not Sword, sorry.  :banghead:

Thanks for putting me right Mossie.

I have the prone pilot MPM kit and the parts are an exact match to the Airfix Club kit of course. At the price Airfix are asking I reckon it's s steal, specially with that superb decal sheet.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 07, 2015, 05:42:46 PM
IIRC it's the Xtrakit/Sword mould. It's not bad, tons better than the ancient FROG Mk 8 that I used to have!
Got one of the XtraKit ones myself, did a comparison with the Aeroclub kit I have and found it about the same.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Quick heads-up for anyone trying to buy that Meteor kit - you can't yet.

I rejoined the Airfix Club last night and tried to order a couple of the Meteors, but the shopping basket page wouldn't accept the £20 voucher code. Rang them up this morning and it looks like the item hasn't been uploaded to the website correctly and they're working to fix the problem. I'll keep retrying until it works.

- Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Those Meteors have gorgeous markings ! The Spits, the Torch set and the Harriers are nice too ! I'm moving to the UK  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: Flyer on June 08, 2015, 02:23:11 AM
I'll be keeping a eye out for a MPM Trent Meteor though now I know who does one.
:cheers:

It's a nice kit. I built mine as a Coastal Command torpedo bomber  ;D. She's moulded in two types of plastic. The original model parts are nice and smooth whereas the extra bits for the turbo prop conversion are quite rough in comparison. Wouldn't mind getting another
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Airfix are doing a Father's Day 4-for-2 offer on selected kits that only lasts until 22 June. Some interesting stuff:

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/father-s-day/multibuy.html

EDIT: JUNE, not Dec... I'm an idiot. :banghead:

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on June 09, 2015, 02:41:52 AM
Quick heads-up for anyone trying to buy that Meteor kit - you can't yet.

I rejoined the Airfix Club last night and tried to order a couple of the Meteors, but the shopping basket page wouldn't accept the £20 voucher code. Rang them up this morning and it looks like the item hasn't been uploaded to the website correctly and they're working to fix the problem. I'll keep retrying until it works.

It's working now: you can order the Meteor with your £20 Club voucher. However the website wouldn't accept a paypal payment from me all day yesterday, but took it with no problem this morning. Not the first time they've had that problem, so somebody on Airfix's web team needs to do some digging.

Anyway, good news is that I just used the Airfix Club voucher and the Father's Day offer to buy two Meteors and four Lightning F.6s for £40, which is a pretty good deal by any measure. :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones