Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Reet.

After doing some examining of the sprues, it's clearly a jump over the Hasegawa kit in most areas.  Better internal detail, better fit (so far) and oodles of spare bits for those who want to fill the spares boxes with rockets and torpedoes.  Where it doesn't match the Hasegawa kit is the engines, well the internals anyway, although under a coat of paint they may look a little better.  They are a bit clumsy and for my money, the Hasegawa ones are better.  Even the Matchbox representations, albeit done down to a price for the kiddies, are marginally better.  I would have liked to see alternate hubs and the later tailwheel with the knuckle, which are options in all the Hasegawa kits.  No strike camera fairing either.

Plus sides for the whiffers - the way the fin is broken down for a possible fin fillet means a twin fin option is doable with minor work.  I'm also of the opinion that with a bit of surgery, that it may be the best option for the early Brigand and possibly the stillborn Bristol 162 "Beaumont".

No doubt the aftermarket people will have a field day with this one, which will ironically push the price of the completed model up to Hasegawa prices, if not higher!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Librarian

I'm sure they've been done but I'm looking forward to a slew of Bomber Command RAF46 builds, maybe a Dambuster Shack :wub:. Lots of whiff-potential there.

I think my New Year res. is a final switch over to 1/72. So maybe beautiful planes available to build, both real and whiffed, unavailable in mainstream 1/48 or hopelessly out of date :banghead:. I'm a huge fan of twin-engined prop aircraft and the last ten-fifteen years have seen so many new kits appearing, so I need to bite the bullet.

Captain Canada

Nice. Thanks for the update. The Shak box looks nice as well.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Could you turn the Shack into a nuclear-armed "super-Lincoln" for a scenario in which we didn't get B-50 Washingtons?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rheged

Here in Whiffworld ANYTHING is possible!  Go for it!

I should imagine that a Shackleton (as we know it) would be gasping for air at 35000 feet, but it's a challenge.    In lieu of the B50,  I'd like to see Vickers Windsors.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 19, 2015, 12:08:37 PM
Hands up all those with the new Beaufighter!

Mine arrived this morning.  ;D

I deliberately grabbed an example of the old Airfix TF-X recently so I can relive my childhood, and then build a modern kit of one when they finally get shipped to here and Canadia in the early 2030's...

That big radar (? i'm guessing - yes?)  hanging out of the Shak's belly puts me in mind of a 1930's ventral dustbin gun position.  So how about one backdated to pre war using Heyford parts?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

JayBee

JMN mode on.

The RAF never had B-50s they were B-29s.

Normality mode back on.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Weaver

Quote from: Rheged on August 20, 2015, 02:02:56 AM
Here in Whiffworld ANYTHING is possible!  Go for it!

I should imagine that a Shackleton (as we know it) would be gasping for air at 35000 feet, but it's a challenge.    In lieu of the B50,  I'd like to see Vickers Windsors.

I'm not suggesting it would have the same performance as the B-29, just that it would be the only option for carrying a British A-bomb in the B-29's absence.

Maybe you could do a pressurised high-altitude version of it with ultra-supercharged engines, mostly opaque canopy and remote MG turrets?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: JayBee on August 20, 2015, 03:36:49 AM
JMN mode on.

The RAF never had B-50s they were B-29s.

Normality mode back on.

Quite right, my bad. Education gratefully received.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

There's a new BoB bundle on Airfix's website: LINK

Airfix Churchill Gift Set Bundle - ABUBOB155 

1 x Spitfire Mk.la, Messerschmitt Bf110 - A50128

1 x RAF Battle of Britain Airfield Set - A50015

1 x A4 Cutting Mat - AG9155

1 x  Workstation - AG9156

£45.75  (RRP=£65.96  Save £20.21)

- Indiana Jones

Gondor

Received an email from Squadron this afternoon saying that they have received a lot of Airfix products. Might be the place for our North American residents to get hold of a few items they are after.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

Thanks for the heads up I'd better check before they are gone ! Or maybe ( even better !) it's a sign of things to come ?

;D
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Weaver on August 20, 2015, 04:25:43 AM
Quote from: Rheged on August 20, 2015, 02:02:56 AM
Here in Whiffworld ANYTHING is possible!  Go for it!

I should imagine that a Shackleton (as we know it) would be gasping for air at 35000 feet, but it's a challenge.    In lieu of the B50,  I'd like to see Vickers Windsors.

I'm not suggesting it would have the same performance as the B-29, just that it would be the only option for carrying a British A-bomb in the B-29's absence.

Maybe you could do a pressurised high-altitude version of it with ultra-supercharged engines, mostly opaque canopy and remote MG turrets?

Someone may have got there first, but I couldn't possibly comment.  ;D
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Captain Canada

Looked at the list from Squadron, and basically the Viscount is the only kit I haven't seen around. Not saying that the others have been back in stock, but I was certainly hoping for more.... :unsure:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Quote from: Captain Canada on August 20, 2015, 02:35:40 PM
Looked at the list from Squadron, and basically the Viscount is the only kit I haven't seen around. Not saying that the others have been back in stock, but I was certainly hoping for more.... :unsure:

Sorry Captain, I didn't look at the list  :banghead:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....