Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: Thorvic on January 14, 2016, 12:18:22 AM
Aircraft in Miniature are doing a 1/72nd multimedia conversion set to convert the Airfix Vickers Valiant B1 into the low level Valiant B2 version that was built but not put into production.  :thumbsup:

http://www.aim72.co.uk/page163.htmlhttp://www.aim72.co.uk/page163.html

Perfect Whiff Fodder for doing a Valiant with a difference, and the chances are the low level version would have been able to carry on post 1964 possibly serving along side the Victor and Vulcan into the 70's (possibly 80s).

Well it was bound to come, I have the 1/72 Valiant B.2 vacuform AiM produced in the stash. I'll have to buy one of these conversions now though   ;)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Thorvic on January 14, 2016, 12:18:22 AM
Aircraft in Miniature are doing a 1/72nd multimedia conversion set to convert the Airfix Vickers Valiant B1 into the low level Valiant B2 version that was built but not put into production.  :thumbsup:

http://www.aim72.co.uk/page163.html

Perfect Whiff Fodder for doing a Valiant with a difference, and the chances are the low level version would have been able to carry on post 1964 possibly serving along side the Victor and Vulcan into the 70's (possibly 80s).

Like the sound of that, even if it is priceless on the Big H site so far.

Hopefully it'll fit the Mach 2 Valiant I've had taking up space in The Loft for some time now.

Dark camo finish with some Shrikes under the wings for a 'different' 1982 scenario maybe?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Flyer on January 17, 2016, 02:40:19 AM

Do any early model Stuka kits have the twin fins as a option?

I've not seen one as It was only on a couple of the early prototypes ? It may be that there has been a resin one but again I've not seen one.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Didn't the twin fin tail fail during a test flight?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 19, 2016, 01:37:50 AM
Didn't the twin fin tail fail during a test flight?

I thought it was changed simply because of a lack of surface area and controlability/stability ?

Got the new tool Ju 87 yesterday and it's gorgeous
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KiwiZac

Ian the Kiwi-Gatherer lent me a great book on the Stuka, I'll take a look tonight for info on the tail issue - there's one photo of the V1 on the ground.*

Airfix has released its 1/72 kits of the Fokker E.II (late) Eindecker and Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c. There are stop-motion builds videos of both on their respective pages, they really are leaps and bounds beyond the classic Airfix WW1 kits. I'll be holding off on the E.II as it doesn't do much for me but, with half-a-dozen or so BE2 types based a few hours' drive from me (praying for good weather on Sunday), the BE2c is a must-have for me.

* Sorry, I totally forgot. However, Wikipedia has this to say:
Quote from: WikiThe Ju 87 V1, powered by a Rolls-Royce Kestrel V12 cylinder liquid-cooled engine, and with a twin tail, crashed on 24 January 1936 at Kleutsch near Dresden, killing Junkers' chief test pilot, Willy Neuenhofen, and his engineer, Heinrich Kreft. The square twin fins and rudders proved too weak; they collapsed and the aircraft crashed after it entered an inverted spin during the testing of the terminal dynamic pressure in a dive. The crash prompted a change to a single vertical stabiliser tail design.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

A rare sighting on Monday of an Airfix Shackleton in an Australian Toy Shop.

Alas I was with Mrs z so I couldn't impulse purchase.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

KiwiZac

Lucky devil. What I'd give to actually see one in the wild!

Unfortunately the Curse of NZ Pricing strikes hard with the Shack kit - the only place I've seen it online has it for $127, which really is too rich for me when I got the new-tool Lanc I/III for $68. That said, not long after launch two were on auction site TradeMe for $100....yes, I am kicking myself for not snagging one.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

The one I saw was $99.99 but they were having a 10% off promotion on Airfix kits - both of them.  They only had the Shack & a B24 on the shelf.
Fred

Old Wombat

Toy World in Mount Barker stocks Airfix kits as its primary supplier & there was a Shack in there the other day - not a plane that grabs me, so I didn't check the price. :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Steel Penguin

Ill add this here as well as the dedicated link I put up
http://www.empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart31.htm
metal crew for the op Herrick vehicles
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

1/72 Blenheim 1F and 1/48 Defiant are out

Nick

Airfix have seen the light and listened to their retailers. In today's email they announced an end to exclusive models from their website. From now on all model kits will be available via retail outlets and their website now has a shop finder map.

PR19_Kit

New broom sweeping clean hopefully?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Why hold something back from your customers? Makes much more sense to distribute all your products to everyone.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise