Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on July 13, 2017, 03:32:53 AM
Quote from: Librarian on July 12, 2017, 05:58:21 AM
I take it from these posts that the Hasegawa kit doesn't cut the mustard...haven't built it but can't see anything wrong with it (apart from a usual lack of ordnance).

I've not seen the Hasegawa one.  Only the Heller/Airfix.
<off to google>
Hmmm, Scalemates says Hasegawa dates from '96.  It doesn't look bad.  Better than the Airfix one anyway.
Fujimi and Hobbycraft also produced them.
I can get a new Hasegawa 1/72 Skyraider from an LHS for a mere $47.  This is why Airfix should do one.

And Monogram did the AD-5

The Hasegawa ones are very nice, got a couple of them in the stash, along with at least one of every other manufacturers offerings
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: king of men on July 10, 2017, 07:15:04 PM
My B-26 Marauder needs are fully met by the Hasegawa kit,

I've one in the stash and it looks a nice kit, but the problem in the UK is that it's £48.67 inc postage on Amazon. Hannants don't have it in stock, or at least their idiot search engine won't find it for me  :banghead:

As a comparison the Hasegawa B-25 Mitchell is £41.99 at Hannants whilst they have the forthcoming Airfix kit listed as £22.04
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Nearly £50 for a 1/72 B-26?  :o

They must think we're a licence to print money!

The old Airfix kit isn't THAT bad, and can look great with a bit of work.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

The HobbyCraft kits are not bad at all, but pretty simple - and despite other infos on some of its boxings an AD-6. The Hasegawa kit looks as if it has much finer surface and interior detail, but (like anything Hasegawa on the market) these kit go at ridiculous prices. But they seem to get paid, for whatever reason.
AFAIK, the Fujimi Skyraider suffers from severe scale issues.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 13, 2017, 06:10:27 AM
Nearly £50 for a 1/72 B-26?  :o <...>

Hasegawa's MSRP is 3500 Yen, about  24 GBP. Someone's trying to rob you, but it's not Hasegawa.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Librarian

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on July 13, 2017, 10:33:41 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 13, 2017, 06:10:27 AM
Nearly £50 for a 1/72 B-26?  :o <...>

Hasegawa's MSRP is 3500 Yen, about  24 GBP. Someone's trying to rob you, but it's not Hasegawa.

In UK its the Exchequer...disgusting mark-ups. I only buy now from Eastern Europe (kit and postage can be half the UK price).

Librarian

...but even in Poland the new Hasegawa H8K is an eye-watering £84 (incl. P&P)...love to build it but way out of my league right now :banghead:

KiwiZac

Quote from: Librarian on July 12, 2017, 06:45:41 AM
A really nice new A-1E/AD-5 etc would be lovely :wub:. A-1E is in my top five faves.
Hear hear. One of my "lottery planes" - a great family wagon!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

king of men

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 13, 2017, 06:07:47 AM
Quote from: king of men on July 10, 2017, 07:15:04 PM
My B-26 Marauder needs are fully met by the Hasegawa kit,

I've one in the stash and it looks a nice kit, but the problem in the UK is that it's £48.67 inc postage on Amazon. Hannants don't have it in stock, or at least their idiot search engine won't find it for me  :banghead:

As a comparison the Hasegawa B-25 Mitchell is £41.99 at Hannants whilst they have the forthcoming Airfix kit listed as £22.04

When I said "fully met", I meant that I have all the B-26s I will ever build in the display case or stash (one complete, one unbuilt). That was just a personal POV. Airfix has always been good on price point, especially when compared to a runaway train like Hasegawa. I would just like to see them concentrate their new tooling on types that haven't been done well elsewhere, like the Battle or Scimitar. As always, YMMV.
All hail 1:72!
Visit the blog at http://72land.blogspot.com/
Visit 72 Scale Aircraft forum at http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php

jcf

The Hasegawa B-26 kits are currently discontinued, so anyone selling one is asking above the
original price, even the ebay sellers from Japan, who are usually a source for good deals, are
asking above the norm prices. Also if you note the ones for sale on Amazon (US and UK) are
all being sold by the same Japanese 'store-fronts' at the same prices.

NARSES2

Quote from: king of men on July 13, 2017, 10:03:38 PM

When I said "fully met", I meant that I have all the B-26s I will ever build in the display case or stash (one complete, one unbuilt). That was just a personal POV.

Understood  :thumbsup:

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 13, 2017, 11:08:40 PM
The Hasegawa B-26 kits are currently discontinued, so anyone selling one is asking above the
original price, even the ebay sellers from Japan, who are usually a source for good deals, are
asking above the norm prices. Also if you note the ones for sale on Amazon (US and UK) are
all being sold by the same Japanese 'store-fronts' at the same prices.

Must admit I didn't look that deeply Jon. But the Amazon UK B-26 was only a little bit more than Hannant's price for the B-25 and the Amazon UK price inc. postage. So a fairly good guide to what it will go for when it comes out with different transfers I would have thought ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Japanese list for the kits was around 3450 yen, but they were
available for less than 3000. At the time of release the US list
was $40 - $45, so about 5 to 10 dollars higher than Yen price,
at the time exchange was hovering around 100¥ = 1$ for quite
a while. If the usual pattern holds then the re-release will probably
be in the range of 4000 to 4200, using the higher figure around £28.50
at today's exchange rate, even if it jumps to around 5000 that's just
under £34.
So you can probably expect UK retail to be around £60.  :-\

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 14, 2017, 08:27:14 AM

So you can probably expect UK retail to be around £60.  :-\

Very much so Jon. We do seem to get ripped off when it comes to a lot of Far Eastern kits. It may be import duties ? But if I'm honest I can't be bothered to check it out. I'd swear blind that sometimes our importers simply take a US $ price and call it £'s. I did catch one UK retailer doing that once with Euros to £'s and after I complained they reduced the price. Some of the UK lads will remember that  affair.

Mind you if I want a kit badly enough then I will pay the price

jcf

According to the international tariff and duty agreements to which the UK, US, Japan, etc., are signatories
there are no tariffs or duties on plastic model kits, they fall under the Toy category.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 15, 2017, 02:28:52 PM

According to the international tariff and duty agreements to which the UK, US, Japan, etc., are signatories
there are no tariffs or duties on plastic model kits, they fall under the Toy category.

Yeah, right.  :banghead:

Unfortunately the combined forces of HM Revenue and Customs, the UK Border Agency and the Post Office, not only don't believe that, but go out of their way to prevent modellers like us importing such 'toys' without charging us horrendous rates of duty and 'handling fees'. As I don't have the finances to take all three of them to court there's nothing I can do about it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit