Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Harry Turtledove made a career out of writing that sort of alternate history.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 13, 2018, 02:36:39 AM

Absolutely and some of the earlier books are quite reasonable reads. I enjoyed Guns of the South whilst on a tour of US Civil War battlefields, but the latter ones got a bit formulatic. I still have an unread one he did about Elizabethan England.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 13, 2018, 02:44:15 AM
Quote from: zenrat on January 13, 2018, 02:36:39 AM

Absolutely and some of the earlier books are quite reasonable reads. I enjoyed Guns of the South whilst on a tour of US Civil War battlefields, but the latter ones got a bit formulatic. I still have an unread one he did about Elizabethan England.

Britannia Ruled.  I've got that one as well.  Shakespeare as a partisan propagandist, and makes for a very interesting read, and Turtledove admits that he doesn't like writing in blank verse.  Another interesting one, that I mention frequently, is The Two Georges- What if the Crown and American colonies were able to sort out their differences?  A lot of OTL history is predicated on the belief that the American Revolution was the pebble that started the avalanche. 
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on January 12, 2018, 07:51:38 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on January 12, 2018, 06:10:01 AM
Quote from: zenrat on January 11, 2018, 03:41:19 AM
Now there's a GB theme.
Adding it to my list.

I'm intrigued  :unsure: Public/general misconceptions ?

Nothing so intellectual i'm afraid.  My thought was a Civil War GB.  Either bringing a historic one to a different time period or inventing a new one.
So royalist motorcycle troopers fighting parliamentarian motorised infantry or aircraft from the North Island/South Island Kiwi civil war.

There's an entire wargaming background, rule books, supplements etc, called A Very British Civil War, set in 1938 as the UK splits into warring factions, the spark being the refusal of Edward VIII to abdicate. It's hard to integrate modelling into the gaming because of clash-of-scales (they use 25mm ~ 1/56th(ish) ) and the rules are focused on small-unit actions with a general trend to avoid too much hardware, but you could always do display models based in the setting.

AFAIK there's no dedicated website for VBCW, but you can find out a lot through the miniatures sellers who support it. For instance: http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=21&page=1

BTW Zenrat, were you still around the biker group long enough to meet Miss Demeanour and her boyfriend, later husband, Mort? Mort was one of the group that invented VBCW: I remember talking to him a lot about it when it was in the very early stages. He liked my Patchwork World background and we swapped some ideas.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Don't think I met them H.

The only Turtledove I have read is Guns of the South.  I've been tempted by others but they all seem to be part of long running series.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Turtledove needs a good editor IMHO.   I've read several of his series and they tend to ramble.  Full of facts (most accurate) and his characterisations are reasonable.   I enjoyed his Aliens invasion in the mid-war period series.   However, there were some silly things I noticed.   The Aliens had the latest and the greatest military hardware but according to them, they had never met a race as warlike as the humans.  While advancing technology might explain why they built super tanks and super aircraft, I still think without the spur an equal or near equal opponent would have conferred, they'd still be sadly lacking in areas of armour and manoeuvrability.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: scooter on January 13, 2018, 03:23:24 AM
  Another interesting one, that I mention frequently, is The Two Georges- What if the Crown and American colonies were able to sort out their differences?  A lot of OTL history is predicated on the belief that the American Revolution was the pebble that started the avalanche. 

I'm going to get that for my fiction read on my annual trip to Sicily in the Spring after reading your previous comments  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Weaver on January 13, 2018, 03:50:28 AM

There's an entire wargaming background, rule books, supplements etc, called A Very British Civil War, set in 1938 as the UK splits into warring factions, the spark being the refusal of Edward VIII to abdicate. It's hard to integrate modelling into the gaming because of clash-of-scales (they use 25mm ~ 1/56th(ish) ) and the rules are focused on small-unit actions with a general trend to avoid too much hardware, but you could always do display models based in the setting.

Indeed, Ian McKellan's film version of Shakespeare's Richard III is set in that period.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

if your careful 1:48 scale stuff will fit in, the best thing, is not to mix different scales in the same unit,  if you have them in different scales.  :lol:
there is a lot of stuff for the inter war / pulp / VBCW era out at the moment.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

Mitchel has been released. Probably pick one up at Huddersfield.

KiwiZac

The Sea Fury's been released too, but it sounds like you should have pre-ordered if you wanted it now!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Mossie

Fokker E.III Eindecker as well.  I believe it's the same kit as the E.II with markings for Ernst Udet, I think the bits to do both versions are already on the sprue, not that there's a lot of difference.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

Uncle Frank had several Mitchells in this morning, along with a Sea Fury and the reboxed/new decals Spitfire mk Ia.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

elmayerle

Quote from: zenrat on January 13, 2018, 04:38:03 AM
The only Turtledove I have read is Guns of the South.  I've been tempted by others but they all seem to be part of long running series.
Some of his one-shots are facinating, I particularly enjoyed Joe Steele, though I would not wish to live in the United States depicted at the end.  I can also recommend Agent of Byzantium where the Byzantine Empire survives much longer because someone becomes a christian saint rather than founding his own religion.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

PR19_Kit

Airfix's latest emailed news item has a listing of all their planned 2018 products, including the Phantom FGR2 (cue much joy from Thorvic and OGL  ;D) but it mentions the expected Victor K2 as well.

Reading the small print about the latter shows that one of the decal schemes is for XL193, which never was a K2, it was an SR2, which was a long winged PR and radar recce version. Which means the kit must have both long and short wings in the same box.  :thumbsup:

Of course Airfix may have screwed it up, but I suspect not.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 13, 2018, 02:21:09 PM
Airfix's latest emailed news item has a listing of all their planned 2018 products, including the Phantom FGR2 (cue much joy from Thorvic and OGL  ;D)
From me yes, Geoff got his wish with the FG-1  ;D

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 13, 2018, 02:21:09 PM
but it mentions the expected Victor K2 as well.

Reading the small print about the latter shows that one of the decal schemes is for XL193, which never was a K2, it was an SR2, which was a long winged PR and radar recce version. Which means the kit must have both long and short wings in the same box.  :thumbsup:

Of course Airfix may have screwed it up, but I suspect not.
I hope not. An old friend served on 543 sqaudron when they had the Victors, he wants me to do one as the SR-2 option for him when it comes out.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.