Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Did Airfix do a 1/48 Sea Vixen before ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Old Wombat

Quote from: Mossie on January 07, 2019, 09:37:14 AM
Very happy to see the Bucc.  I guess there will be an S.2B at some stage   Concorde prototype is an interesting one, I can't remember that one being offered for a long time.  Might pickup a Jetstream, Heron and Bulldog.

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 07, 2019, 08:53:51 AM
Quote from: Mossie on January 07, 2019, 07:42:17 AM
There's a whole load of 1/35 armour, ex Academy?

Without being able to see any of the sprues, so only based on the kits available, it certainly looks like it.

I wonder if they're testing the water?  It's never been Airfix's traditional scale, but they've repopped others manufacturers kits on the odd occasion.  If it pips any interest, a few unique British subjects that  others avoid might go down well?

I hope so!

Large scale armour has also been a pretty big hole in Airfix's product line for a very long time & their limited number of old 1/32 offerings weren't cutting it in an armour modelling world that had switched over to 1/35 (with the exception of a very few die-hards). I hope they look at some ignored vehicles like the Alvis Stalwart, et al., & I'd like to see them move their 1/32 cars into 1/35, too, which is a trend that is slowly happening through the influence of companies like Meng, Takom, Bronco, ICM & MiniArt (who are bringing out civilian versions of various cars & light trucks).

You'll notice that their 1/76 armour is slowly being phased out for 1/72, too.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 07, 2019, 03:57:45 PM

Did Airfix do a 1/48 Sea Vixen before ?

Yes, it's just been OOP for a short while. Maybe with new decals this time?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

The fact that it's been OOP has driven prices through teh roof and made Trumpeter release their own 48th kit which has met universal apathy.

The bulk of that list is old tooling, so they could release it tomorrow.  Anything actually new can be counted on the fingers of a Sontaran's hand.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

KiwiZac

The 1/35 armour struck me as so very, very odd! It's such a large bunch of releases, and I remember folks asking the Airfix team at Telford in perhaps 2017 whether more armour would be coming, and told no. Things change I guess...!

Nice to see some aircraft in the Vintage/Classics banner! Very curious the Concorde's in there twice.

For me the star is the 1/48 Tiger Moth. The 1/72 is such a honey that I was praying for a bigger one, and I am so thankful. Some of the CAD gives me pause for thought though: not very much legroom for the rear cockpit...
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

major

Having hit a brick wall with actually completing anything model wise over the last year and a bit, I pulled out some of the old Airfix stuff over the festive season.

My God, I really enjoyed slapping them together! ;D
Tube 'o glue, paint brush, pocket knife, (remember them?) and bugger all else!
My inner child, released! Memories of past Christmases and birthdays! I would highly recommend doing it.  ;D
The old airfix Typhoon, the Spitfire IX, and starting the old mossie, which seems to have a crooked tail and a missing canopy.(I'll find something for it)

Think Airfix might be on a winner with releasing the old stuff. Yes, some of the kits were horrendous, but in the afternoon you had something ready to whizz around the room with. A small amount of parts to put together, but something achieved and to say, "I made that!' :thumbsup:

I know there are other simple, accurate kits out there with small part counts, but they just don't make you feel like you 'built it'.

Planes, vehicles and little soldiers! What more could your inner child wish for?  ;D ;D ;D

The Wooksta!

Lego.  Lots more Lego.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kerick

Many of the old Monogram kits were like that. The so called "working" parts didn't always work!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

AS.12

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 07, 2019, 02:54:19 PM
Series 11 Aircraft
A11002 de Havilland Sea Vixen 1:48 Jun-19 £44.99

Eeek, the Airfix Price Ratcheter back with a vengeance.  I'm pretty certain that was £29.99 the first time around...

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 07, 2019, 02:54:19 PM
Airfix Quickbuild Aircraft & Military
J6045 QUICKBUILD D-Day Spitfire N/A May-19 £12.99
J6046 QUICKBUILD-Day Mustang N/A May-19 £12.99

5yo offspring received a Quickbuild kit from an uncle for Christmas, it was actually very enjoyable to build and looks pretty good when assembled; clicks together using Lego-style studs.  He did most of the work except for the fiddly stickers.

It was a Spitfire ( blurgh! ) but certainly encouraged me to consider more from the range; but as ever with Airfix these days they're just beyond affordable pocket-money level.  It's not really encouraging kids into the hobby if they can only receive a Quickbuild kit as an occasional present.

kitbasher

Having thought a bit further about the 2019 releases:
- extremely ambitious.  Yep there's a bunch if repops but there's still a lot there.  Whether it is achievable or not remains to be seen.  I hope it works well for Airfix.
- 1/72 is my thang so of the brand new stuff there's only the Bucc that appeals, and then once an S.2B appears.
- of the new reissues the RAF Mitchell is top of the shop.  Once had but never built an Airfix B-25J, otherwise Mitchells are new ground.  ***EDIT: got one 2 Feb 19***
- of the 'vintage' stuff, Heron yes, and the Demon for cheap Hart family kitbashing.  Jetstream has whif potential for me, not sure of the wider appeal.
- I'd have thought a Beaver repop outside the vintage range (akin to the Marauder re-release) could have been a popular move.

Anyway that reflects my tastes/preferences, not a criticism.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Nick

Quote from: zenrat on January 07, 2019, 02:14:41 AM

I predict a Concorde re-pop.

You're not wrong. I laughed when I saw the listing for a Concorde Prototype - They obviously know they'll get shouted at if they make out it's the full production bird as there are several differences (9ft shorter, nose cone, wing shape, tailcone etc). I think Airfix took measurement from the bird now in Yeovilton.

I bet the kit will be out in time for the 50th anniversary of first Concorde flight on 23rd March.
It's also a BOAC what-if scheme  :wub:

zenrat

Quote from: JayBee on January 07, 2019, 08:38:52 AM
OH WOE WOE and THRICE WOE!

No that was not me, that was my wallet.  :rolleyes:

Mine's making the same noise.

Best thing to come from this list is that the MiG 17 will mean I can avoid having to try to build the KP version into something approaching accurate and just whiff it.

I remember the Scammel.  I think I tried to build it into a recovery vehicle.  I may have to try that again with the benefit of age and experience (and much more patience).
Also the Lunar Lander.  I built one but Paul Stredwick threw it across my lounge room to "see if it would fly" and it didn't survive re-entry.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AS.12

To stick up for the Czechs, the KP MiG-17PF is very accurate - for that version.

zenrat

I wasn't disparaging the kit's accuracy per se.  it's just that IME once i've got it together and done all the necessary PSR, while it may be accurate dimensionally and in silhouette it will have no surface detail left.

Hmmm, having now actually researched the KP kit (the one in the stash was bought bagged and I must admit to not having examined it too closely) it seems it is considered pretty good.
Also, it's got the radar nose which the Airfix one (according to their picture) doesn't.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Hobbes

Quote from: Thorvic on January 07, 2019, 09:09:48 AM
Well that me more than happy, a new 1/72 Buccaneer S2 RN boxing, so I can see me getting quite a few of those. Looking at the CGI i'm not sure if it has the folding nose cone as well as airbrakes

From this image, I'd say no folding nose cone: