Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Quote from: kitbasher on November 09, 2021, 02:54:47 AM
When has Airfix hinted at new Sunderland and/or Stirling moulds (or is Mr McColm making rumour mischief  ;))?

IIRC Italeri did a Stirling a few years ago - and didn't they market a variant of the Special Hobby Sunderland, too?
Just asking a genuine question. I have been on the Sunderland at RAF Hendon Museum, but to see a full size Stirling. I don't know if anyone has got one.
Once I get my hands on a 3D printer I can create a few conversion sets.
Dear Santa....

kitbasher

Nope, no Stirlings anywhere. 
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Nick

Quote from: kitbasher on November 09, 2021, 08:17:13 AM
Nope, no Stirlings anywhere.

Only a few sections remain around the world. There is a plan to recreate the front section of one for display, unfortunately it seems to be a one man band effort and progress is slow. www.stirlingproject.co.uk

They don't even have the benefit that the Friday the Thirteenth Halifax had with plenty of airframe sections scattered across the UK. https://yorkshireairmuseum.org/latest-news/friday-the-13th-nine-things-you-may-now-know-about-her/

PR19_Kit

Italeri did two Sunderlands, one an early Mk I without the upper turret, and the other the later Mk III with the turret.

Special Hobby did it the other way round, starting off with the later, P&W engined Mk V and going back to the Mk III, and then went even further back to the Mk II. 
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 09, 2021, 03:26:57 AM
The potential market either has the old Airfix ones in the stash or the Italeri ones.
Which is why Airfix never comes out with new design versions of old kits.  :angel:
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

McColm

Quote from: KiwiZac on November 09, 2021, 01:28:12 PM
The potential market either has the old Airfix ones in the stash or the Italeri ones.
Which is why Airfix never comes out with new design versions of old kits.  :angel:
Really you mean to say that the new Vulcan is the same as the old Vulcan kit?

Dizzyfugu

A new Brewster Buffalo would be nice, with optional parts for both the USN and the land-based export versions.

I'd also not mind a Hurricane Mk. IID with a set of two-pounders and a four-blade propeller as an option.

kitbasher

Quote from: McColm on November 09, 2021, 11:48:39 PM

Fair call.  I think the current Airfix approach may include subjects it has kitted in the past but only where these can be subject to LIDAR scanning, hence the Vulcan and I guess the Swordfish, and not rely upon plans.  The latter can of course be inaccurate.

That doesn't mean to say LIDAR in isolation is perfect, witness the recent Mosquito kit which is closer to a TT35 than a B.XVI - nothing that some additional research couldn't have sorted out.

So I would say that what I'm assuming is currently fixed Airfix policy rules out a Stirling, but a Sunderland V is not impossible.  Bearing in mind Nick's post, a Halifax III couldn't be 100% ruled out.  Much further down the line (once the RAF Museum's restoration is complete) can we expect a new mould Hampden from Airfix?
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 10, 2021, 12:16:09 AM

I'd also not mind a Hurricane Mk. IID with a set of two-pounders and a four-blade propeller as an option.

They did a IID a while ago, in the Airfix Club range, but that was based on a much older IIC than they do now.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: kitbasher on November 10, 2021, 12:16:21 AM

Fair call.  I think the current Airfix approach may include subjects it has kitted in the past but only where these can be subject to LIDAR scanning, hence the Vulcan and I guess the Swordfish, and not rely upon plans.  The latter can of course be inaccurate.

They've mentioned they'll do subjects were only plans exist, but only if they're original from the manufacturers.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

A Sea Hurricane would be nice, maybe offering the catapult launched version.

It would be nice to see a new tool Hampden to go with the Whitley and Wellington
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KiwiZac

Quote from: McColm on November 09, 2021, 11:48:39 PM
You've lost me. Perhaps I should've said "tool".
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

philp

I would like to see them do a new Halifax.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 10, 2021, 06:08:14 AM

It would be nice to see a new tool Hampden to go with the Whitley and Wellington

IIRC there was a Sea Hurricane option in the Hurricane IIc kit that was one of the early 'red box' releases.  However not one of their best, I'd prefer Airfix to start afresh with the Hurricane II were they to decide to go down that route.

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on November 10, 2021, 10:41:23 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 10, 2021, 06:08:14 AM

IIRC there was a Sea Hurricane option in the Hurricane IIc kit that was one of the early 'red box' releases.  However not one of their best, I'd prefer Airfix to start afresh with the Hurricane II were they to decide to go down that route.

Yup it was in one of those boxes, but like you I'd like to see a new tool. However given that Arma seem to be covering the Mk II it's unlikely I suppose. They also do a Mk I. All nice kits
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.