Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Penguin

now that's elegant, and does look very  right..
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Mossie

1/24 Spitfire Mk.IXc 'Super Kit'.  Got an email, they've jumped the gun on tomorrow's 2022 range announcement:
https://uk.airfix.com/products/supermarine-spitfire-mkixc-a17001

Markings are for 126 Sqn and 406 Sqn RAF, 309th FS USAAF and GR 2/33 'Savoie', French Air Force.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Nick

Quote from: Mossie on January 09, 2022, 04:20:19 AM
1/24 Spitfire Mk.IXc 'Super Kit'.  Got an email, they've jumped the gun on tomorrow's 2022 range announcement:
https://uk.airfix.com/products/supermarine-spitfire-mkixc-a17001

Markings are for 126 Sqn and 406 Sqn RAF, 309th FS USAAF and GR 2/33 'Savoie', French Air Force.

This one was announced at Duxford today as part of a talk - Spitfire: An Icon in Airfix. Duxford have a Spitfire exhibition until late Feb with 12 different birds together under one roof.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/events/spitfire-evolution-of-an-icon

It will make a change from the old Mk.1s and Mk.Vs that were the only kits in this scale. Not for me though, too big!
I bet all the old boys are drooling over this and pre-orders are at an all-time high.

KiwiZac

Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

AeroplaneDriver

Never tried 1/24 but might have to for this. Gorgeous looking kit. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

PR19_Kit

Is this one their first 1/24 scale kit under the new 'CAD design' regime, or was that the Hellcat?

I've only ever built one 1/24 aeroplane kit ever, the first Airfix Spitfire, and it's not really my bag, but that does look one AMAZING kit!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Mosquito I think, followed by the Typhoon.

I must admit I'd love one of these kits if I had the staying power.  I've thought a Tiger Moth would be a good candidate for this scale.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

KiwiZac

Quote from: Mossie on January 09, 2022, 01:43:33 PM
I must admit I'd love one of these kits if I had the staying power.  I've thought a Tiger Moth would be a good candidate for this scale.
Me too. I'd love Airfix to do it but I'm not sure they'd tackle a trainer in 1/24...
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Weaver

Meh. I'll do them the courtesy of assuming that they know what they're doing marketing-wise, and I'm confident the kit will be of high quality, but it's not anywhere near being on my 'must have' list. Too big, too hard, too expensive, too mainstream.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Good for people who like Spitfires and build 1/24th.   The old one is nigh on shot, having been in production for the best part of 50 years and is still making money for them now.  This should sell well, but it's too big for me.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

It does look very good, and should be a massive (pun unintended) seller, I wish Airfix the very best of fortune with it.

Afraid it's not one for me - not my scale.  The 1/24 range is undoubtedly impressive, the only one I've been tempted by so far though is the Hawker Typhoon.

Anyway, Airfix website set to break later today, I guess!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Scotaidh

There's something about the 1/24 kits that grabs me deep inside.  I know I don't have display room for them, yet I crave them anyway.

I have built the Spitfire Mk Ia, the Bf-109E, the Hurricane Mk I, and the FW-190.  The 190 I still have, hanging from my basement overhead, collecting spiders & dust.  I have, in the SSR, a 1/24 Harrier GR Mk III.  That last was a grail kit for me, and I don't know if I'll ever build it - it might go to my grand-nephews.  :)

When I look at this new release Spit Mk IX, I have the urge (if not the $$, alas) to buy it.  After all, no less an expert than Johnny Johnson said the Mk IX was "the nicest of them all."  With a write-up like that, how could I not build it?  After all, his Mk IX was the first kit I ever bought with my own carefully saved-up pocket-money, at the store in Tunbridge Wells ...
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

McColm

I have no doubt that there's a motorised engine that you can buy to rotate the propellers.
The question is do you leave all that detailing exposed or cover it up with body panels?

Mossie

Quote from: Scotaidh on January 10, 2022, 01:59:18 AM
There's something about the 1/24 kits that I have, in the SSR, a 1/24 Harrier GR Mk III.  That last was a grail kit for me, and I don't know if I'll ever build it - it might go to my grand-nephews.  :)

I have that kit too, bought for me in my teens.  Keep telling myself I'll build it one day... I don't believe me!

Weaver

Quote from: McColm on January 10, 2022, 02:12:50 AM
I have no doubt that there's a motorised engine that you can buy to rotate the propellers.
The question is do you leave all that detailing exposed or cover it up with body panels?

You can do that trick with tiny neodymium magnets and have it both ways, if you're careful.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones