Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 10, 2022, 10:45:37 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on January 10, 2022, 03:54:16 PM

There's an interesting photo of a Buccaneer in the latest Air-Britain Aviation World. It shows a canopy embedded into the leading edge of the fin. Apparently it had blown off while the aircraft was taking off and flew straight back into the fin, and it didn't even shatter.

Just what you'd expect from a Blackburn built aircraft.  ;D

I bet the designer of the fin got fired for not making it strong enough to withstand being dented!

A chap I know works at the Shap Fell granite quarries (there are two...pink and blue...honestly!)  swears blind that they used to quarry Buccaneers there.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 10, 2022, 10:45:37 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on January 10, 2022, 03:54:16 PM

There's an interesting photo of a Buccaneer in the latest Air-Britain Aviation World. It shows a canopy embedded into the leading edge of the fin. Apparently it had blown off while the aircraft was taking off and flew straight back into the fin, and it didn't even shatter.

Just what you'd expect from a Blackburn built aircraft.  ;D

I bet the designer of the fin got fired for not making it strong enough to withstand being dented!

It wasn't exactly dented Kit, more like nearly cut off. The rear of the canopy metal frame sliced into the fin and judging by the photo, the front spar in the fin stopped it going any further. The front of the canopy ended up resting on top of the rear fuselage and the canopy appears to have no damage at all. The Buccaneer had to divert to Butterworth where it was patched up and then flown back to the carrier, albeit without it's canopy ----- apparently as it was a RAAF base and the repairs took over a week, it had kangaroos painted in the roundels     ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

KiwiZac

Rather than repost his photos, LargeScalePlanes member "geedubelyer" has shared some great sprue shots of the 1/24 Spitfire IXc on that forum: https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/92003-airfix-announcement-124-spitfire/&do=findComment&comment=1324741

Quote from: zenrat on January 11, 2022, 02:19:12 AM
Where's my Rotodyne?
I have to say I am very surprised that's not in the list given they actually shared a photo of the tooling on social media. What a bizarre move.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 10, 2022, 03:25:40 PM
Still no Scimitar though. :(

Yes, that's a very serious omission in my opinion.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

Overdue for an Airspeed Oxford, and an A.W. Argosy. :wub: :wub:

And a 1/24th Blackburn Beverley.  :wacko:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

KiwiZac

Quote from: The Rat on January 11, 2022, 12:51:51 PM
Overdue for an Airspeed Oxford
I've got out my half-done Special Hobby 1/48 Oxford to complete in the coming months, so I fully expect the old girl to be in the 2023 announcements  :banghead:
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

rickshaw

You go for it, mate.  We need a sacrifice to make it happen...   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

tigercat

I heard with Buccaneers they just started with one big block of metal and chiselled away bits until there was an aircraft 

McColm

When did Airfix kits start getting expensive?

Dizzyfugu

With the new 1:72 Beaufighter in 2015, IMHO.

Weaver

Quote from: tigercat on January 11, 2022, 10:45:21 PM
I heard with Buccaneers they just started with one big block of metal and chiselled away bits until there was an aircraft

They actually bought the first large milling machines in the country in order to make it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

I thought they FORGED Buccs............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

a 1/24th Blackburn Beverley.  :wacko:
To store your stash in !!!!!  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on January 12, 2022, 03:31:41 AM
a 1/24th Blackburn Beverley.  :wacko:

To store your stash in !!!!!  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

It's almost be large enough to LIVE in!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 12, 2022, 01:33:17 AM
With the new 1:72 Beaufighter in 2015, IMHO.

Round about then yup. When their quality started increasing and world plastic prices started on an upward spiral at the same time. The price for anything is always a very personal thing. What some are happy with, some aren't.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.