Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on January 11, 2022, 08:43:28 AM

A chap I know works at the Shap Fell granite quarries (there are two...pink and blue...honestly!)  swears blind that they used to quarry Buccaneers there.

Went to Shap a few times, it was one of our main Limestone/Lime sources, and it was always a couple of decent days out of the office  :cheers: ;) Tata still own it I think ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

With regards to prices, modellers are paradoxically big spenders and absolute misers on a scale that would make Scrooge look like a philanthropist.

What really bugs me about the release announcement is that no bugger on line has a list. Normally Britmodeller would have one, but the mods there (a decidedly humourless bunch more suited to the Stasi) have decided to split them into separate threads. I can't find one without going into catalogues and that was getting annoying.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

KiwiZac

Quote from: rickshaw on January 11, 2022, 10:21:35 PM
You go for it, mate.  We need a sacrifice to make it happen...   :thumbsup:
*sighs* I exist to serve.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 12, 2022, 07:45:18 AM<...> What really bugs me about the release announcement is that no bugger on line has a list. Normally Britmodeller would have one, but the mods there (a decidedly humourless bunch more suited to the Stasi) have decided to split them into separate threads. I can't find one without going into catalogues and that was getting annoying.

That's.... something. Simultaneously sh!++Ing on Britmodeller while complaining no one has compiled a list. Wow!

What's stopping you from making a list? The video has all the info, right?
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 12, 2022, 06:06:07 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 12, 2022, 01:33:17 AM
With the new 1:72 Beaufighter in 2015, IMHO.

Round about then yup. When their quality started increasing and world plastic prices started on an upward spiral at the same time. The price for anything is always a very personal thing. What some are happy with, some aren't.

Yoda would say "Buy ...or buy not!". The market is where price and demand meet - individually, this can differ wildly, esp. when you take a look at ev!lbay and what some people think model kits might be worth. But for a manufacturer, there's a broader range of potential buyers to meet.

zenrat

Quote from: KiwiZac on January 11, 2022, 11:43:10 AM
Rather than repost his photos, LargeScalePlanes member "geedubelyer" has shared some great sprue shots of the 1/24 Spitfire IXc on that forum: https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/92003-airfix-announcement-124-spitfire/&do=findComment&comment=1324741

Quote from: zenrat on January 11, 2022, 02:19:12 AM
Where's my Rotodyne?
I have to say I am very surprised that's not in the list given they actually shared a photo of the tooling on social media. What a bizarre move.

I am slightly mollified having taken delivery of a Takom Lun Class Ekranoplan today.  But only slightly.

As far as prices are concerned be thankful you are not a modeller of 1/25 cars living in Australia.  Prices are ridiculous.  Particularly given most of them (AMT, MPC, Revell) are old moulds in new (reproduction) boxes.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Most people here will either know this or at least have an idea of what I have written below. The following is for those that don't and it is by no means exhaustive or complete.

The price of a Model made by a company, Airfix for example, will set the price of a produce based on many factors. What range is it for, which can be skill level/age group/complexity which can determine how complex a mold may be especially if the mold has to cater for different versions or options. The life expectancy of the mold also has to be taken into account as the material the mold is made from will determine the life of the mold and therefor how many units can be reasonably be expected to be produced from the mold. Other overheads for designing not only the mold such as research into the item being produced will also have to be added in along with packaging and instruction design.
The manufacturer these days could also just be a brand name. For example Airfix have released kits by various other companies under their own name and could well have had these products as well as their own produced by a third party, such as having the kits made in India. All this things cost money including the shipping of goods from the manufacturer to the distribution center and onwards to the modelling community, and I have only just scratched the surface. So a slight rise in any or some of the above can cause an increase in the final product.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

KiwiZac

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on January 12, 2022, 03:59:15 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 12, 2022, 07:45:18 AM<...> What really bugs me about the release announcement is that no bugger on line has a list. Normally Britmodeller would have one, but the mods there (a decidedly humourless bunch more suited to the Stasi) have decided to split them into separate threads. I can't find one without going into catalogues and that was getting annoying.

That's.... something. Simultaneously sh!++Ing on Britmodeller while complaining no one has compiled a list. Wow!

What's stopping you from making a list? The video has all the info, right?
Airfix also has a web page showing all of the 2022 announcements. I figured that covered all the bases nicely?
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Martin H

Quote from: Gondor on January 13, 2022, 03:33:43 AM
Most people here will either know this or at least have an idea of what I have written below. The following is for those that don't and it is by no means exhaustive or complete.

The price of a Model made by a company, Airfix for example, will set the price of a produce based on many factors. What range is it for, which can be skill level/age group/complexity which can determine how complex a mold may be especially if the mold has to cater for different versions or options. The life expectancy of the mold also has to be taken into account as the material the mold is made from will determine the life of the mold and therefor how many units can be reasonably be expected to be produced from the mold. Other overheads for designing not only the mold such as research into the item being produced will also have to be added in along with packaging and instruction design.
The manufacturer these days could also just be a brand name. For example Airfix have released kits by various other companies under their own name and could well have had these products as well as their own produced by a third party, such as having the kits made in India. All this things cost money including the shipping of goods from the manufacturer to the distribution center and onwards to the modelling community, and I have only just scratched the surface. So a slight rise in any or some of the above can cause an increase in the final product.

Gondor

Nicely put.

I think a lot of modellers are under the misapprehension that model manufacturers exist to service the hobby or a particular faction within said hobby.
Wrong. They exist to make money for their owners and/or shareholders by providing a product or service that they hope will be desired by the market it is aimed at.

Its called capitalism................
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

NARSES2

And if they didn't make profits we wouldn't have new kits.....simples  ;)

If anyone hasn't seen it then the series on Hornby which was shown, and is being repeated, on the Yesterday Channel was a bit of an eye opener to the process, as well as thoroughly enjoyable  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Got the latest Airfic Mag today, which is 'Tempest heavy' in that it has a review of the new Airfix 1/72 kit, and one of the Revell 1/32 scale kit, as well as an article on the real thing.

And I've got maybe 4-5 Heller and M'box Tempests in The Loft. Do I need another one? Maybe not, but......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 16, 2022, 05:52:44 AM

And I've got maybe 4-5 Heller and M'box Tempests in The Loft. Do I need another one? Maybe not, but......

I do as I have plans for a Sabre engined Lancaster

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 16, 2022, 05:52:44 AM
Got the latest Airfic Mag today, which is 'Tempest heavy' in that it has a review of the new Airfix 1/72 kit, and one of the Revell 1/32 scale kit, as well as an article on the real thing.

Got it on pre-order at Hannants. Be interesting to compare to the recent KP kit which was nice

NARSES2

Right gents I've got around to moving the discussion on plastics as it was becoming a little "all consuming" and it can be found here.

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=50125.0

I apologise if the way I've split it appears to be a bit simplistic or even blunt, but I didn't want to have to start editing individual posts because then I could, quite rightly, leave myself open to accusations of manipulation.

Thanks

Chris

kitnut617

Good move Chris  :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike