Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

I started work in 1961 and was getting 8 guineas a week then.

That's about £34.00/mth.  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I can remember that until I became 18, I wasn't allowed to do the overtime ----  :banghead:  EDIT: I should clarify that, I wasn't allowed to work more than 40 hrs, I don't think the other guys got overtime but they worked 50 hour weeks.

KiwiZac

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 17, 2022, 10:53:02 PM
Quote from: KiwiZac on January 17, 2022, 05:14:50 PM
I think I need to adjust my expectations - I wasn't expecting such a simple (to my mind) set to cost 24 Euros!  :banghead:
IIRC the original Airfix 1/24 Spitfire I didn't even cost that much for the whole kit!
I'd love to know the original RRP for the kit and run it through the Bank of England's inflation calculator. A quick internet search only brought up the price for the Vintage Classics boxing of NZ$145 or so (72GBP/86.44EUR).
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

elmayerle

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 19, 2022, 07:07:36 AM
Those WERE the good old days Robert  ;) :thumbsup:
[/quote
Well, they were the old days, I'm not certain how good they were.  I graduated from college in May of 1973 and it took me until November of that year to find a job in my field; on; only to ly to get laid off 15 months later.  Mind you, I knew what pol to blame for that and I never trusted the idiot after that.  He managed to "fail upward" and died as Pres. Clinton's first SecDef.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Nick

Quote from: KiwiZac on January 19, 2022, 07:04:13 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 17, 2022, 10:53:02 PM
Quote from: KiwiZac on January 17, 2022, 05:14:50 PM
I think I need to adjust my expectations - I wasn't expecting such a simple (to my mind) set to cost 24 Euros!  :banghead:
IIRC the original Airfix 1/24 Spitfire I didn't even cost that much for the whole kit!
I'd love to know the original RRP for the kit and run it through the Bank of England's inflation calculator. A quick internet search only brought up the price for the Vintage Classics boxing of NZ$145 or so (72GBP/86.44EUR).

I found the 1971 Catalogue online. It's a bit blurry but the prices seem obvious. https://dokumen.tips/documents/airfix-catalogue-1971-568958fdaa462.html

Supermarine Spitfire 1a   £1.92 (30/10d) so about 2 days pay. This modern version is £95 so it's still about 2 days pay...  :lol:
The electric prop motor is only 40p (8s)!

Gondor

Quote from: Nick on January 21, 2022, 04:14:57 AM

Supermarine Spitfire 1a   £1.92 (30/10d) so about 2 days pay. This modern version is £95 so it's still about 2 days pay...  :lol:

Depends if your saying pre tax or not for the pay.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

That catalogue brings back memories. I'd forgotten half of those OO/HO figure sets
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 21, 2022, 06:05:03 AM
That catalogue brings back memories. I'd forgotten half of those OO/HO figure sets

I was thinking as I scrolled through the aircraft section, which one are they going to bring a new version of out next?

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

kitnut617

I had a look through my copy of the 1975 catalogue (conveniently handy) but no prices unfortunately.

zenrat

Quote from: Gondor on January 21, 2022, 08:16:32 AM

I was thinking as I scrolled through, which one are they going to bring a new version of out next?

Gondor

The Boy Scout?

A lot of stuff i'd forgotten about there.  I had a lot of the HO/OO soft plastic military vehicles.  I note that even in the catalogue pics they can't keep the gun barrels straight.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Quote from: Gondor on January 21, 2022, 08:16:32 AM

I was thinking as I scrolled through the aircraft section, which one are they going to bring a new version of out next?

Gondor

There you go zenrat, I added back in the part you failed to copy.

Gondor

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 22, 2022, 04:11:03 AM

The Boy Scout?

Some of those large scale figures were nice, particularly for the time.

Didn't the Boy Scout tooling originally come with the Baden Powell style hat ? Like the New Zealand army hat
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

crudebuteffective

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 22, 2022, 05:46:01 AM
Quote from: zenrat on January 22, 2022, 04:11:03 AM

The Boy Scout?

Some of those large scale figures were nice, particularly for the time.

Didn't the Boy Scout tooling originally come with the Baden Powell style hat ? Like the New Zealand army hat

yes it had alternate hats  a beret or the new zealand/mountie hat
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?