Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug K

Quote from: crudebuteffective on January 22, 2022, 06:53:59 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on January 22, 2022, 05:46:01 AM
Quote from: zenrat on January 22, 2022, 04:11:03 AM

The Boy Scout?

Some of those large scale figures were nice, particularly for the time.

Didn't the Boy Scout tooling originally come with the Baden Powell style hat ? Like the New Zealand army hat

yes it had alternate hats  a beret or the new zealand/mountie hat

Yeah, it was old pre-1967 uniform

Mossie

I can understand why they went to the beret.  I got tired with the local kids knocking my Cubs cap off and throwing it on a garage roof, the hat would have frisbee'd for miles!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Leading Observer

The first price increase I remember impacting me was when Airfix kits went up from 2s 6d [the amount of my pocket money] to 2s 9d [if memory serves me right]. Cue disappointment in Woolworths and a campaign for an increase in pocket money to 3/-
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Nick

Quote from: Mossie on January 22, 2022, 01:29:01 PM
I can understand why they went to the beret.  I got tired with the local kids knocking my Cubs cap off and throwing it on a garage roof, the hat would have frisbee'd for miles!

Cub caps went out in the 1989 uniform changes. Lots of groups had already stopped wearing them for your exact reason  ;D

Berets were worn by UK Scouts between 1949 and 1989. Much cheaper than the Campaign Hat aka lemon squeezer hats and less likely to get squashed on camp!
They stopped the berets even earlier in Northern Ireland (around 1975) where they didn't want to be targeted as soldiers when going out on camp or wherever.

Air Scouts still wear Berets and Sea Scouts wear Royal Navy sailors hats.

You might still see scouts on parade wearing the lemon squeezer hats - they will be from the breakaway Baden-Powell Scouts who didn't like the changes being made in 1960 by the Scout Association.

Nigel Bunker

When I was in the Scouts in the 60s, my troop wore the Campaign Hat and also we wore shorts and long socks along with short sleeved shirts. Could be chilly on a winter's evening.
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

rickshaw

Quote from: Nick on January 22, 2022, 03:52:59 PM
You might still see scouts on parade wearing the lemon squeezer hats - they will be from the breakaway Baden-Powell Scouts who didn't like the changes being made in 1960 by the Scout Association.

Splitters!  Bunch o' splitters!   ;) ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

The Boy Scout?

Didn't the Boy Scout tooling originally come with the Baden Powell style hat ? Like the New Zealand army hat

Thanks, glad I wasn't going mad  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 23, 2022, 05:24:22 AM

The Boy Scout?

Thanks, glad I wasn't going mad  :thumbsup:

Oh, you're going mad, Chris; absolutely! Just not senile. ;D ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Mossie

Not my scale either but looks like a beauty. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

AeroplaneDriver

Great article.  I'm as excited about this release as any I can remember.  I see some overtime in my future just to support purchases of this thing. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

zenrat

Meh.  Where's my Rotodyne.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2