Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 22, 2022, 07:05:19 AM
Nice. But at 25 notes off the shelf and a good half dozen MPM sitting in various locations in the stash, and a CMR one, I'll give it a miss.   I even have an original Frog one to restore.
They really should have went for a Venom.

I agree about the Venom as it would fill a gap. Will probably only get one Meatbox as I have several others available, now more likly to get whiffed if I can come up with something decent other than just changeing the decals to Swiss, Sweedish or something else.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 22, 2022, 07:05:19 AM
They really should have went for a Venom.

Yeah, a (decent/new) Venom single-seater kit would be nice.  :thumbsup:

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

All very nice, but at twice the price of the very nice Xtrakit one, I'm not buying. Airfix are rapidly pricing themselves out of the market.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

All that super detail is all very well, but can you see it when the model's built?

Or are they only pandering to those who want to build the kit with all the panels open etc.? Hardly a large market..........  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

State of the hobby, and the world at general, everything's too much.  I've got a couple of Special Hobby kits, T.7 & F.8, they're more than serviceable.

rickshaw

77 Squadron RAAF would have been a better choice as an alternative scheme...  :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Wooksta!

Undoubtedly, it'll come out later.  If not, I'm sure the aftermarket decal people will bring it out.  I'm sure it was an option on one F8 kit in the past, either Aeroclub or CMR, as I did one. 
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Old Wombat

Those of you who regularly buy 1/72 Airfix kits (I do but not that often) may have already noted this but the new top-opening boxes, while I approve of the design, are made out of card that is barely thicker that printing paper! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

The Wooksta!

More cost cutting. 

I understand Hornby need to pay off the banks, but their prices are going through the roof.  You can get an Eduard Weekend kit for about the same price as a series 2 Airfix kit (Spitfire mk IXc early is about 10.99, the equivalent Airfix mk IXc mid production is £12*), the Shackleton is nigh on fifty notes now and a full tank of petrol is cheaper than the Vulcan!

*Not that I'm buying Spitfires these days, but I do keep an eye on prices.  Also annoying are the new Eduard boxings with different decals.  Perhaps I should think of them as decal sheets with a free kit?

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 02, 2022, 05:17:23 AM
More cost cutting. 

I understand Hornby need to pay off the banks, but their prices are going through the roof.  You can get an Eduard Weekend kit for about the same price as a series 2 Airfix kit (Spitfire mk IXc early is about 10.99, the equivalent Airfix mk IXc mid production is £12*),

Yup the Eduard Weekend 1/72 Fw 190A-8 came out this week. 4 markings options and £10.80
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

I think both the Spitfires have about 5 options on them.  I'm very tempted with the mk VIII, but have resisted so far.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

zenrat

Eduard could do worse than sell their transfers separately from their kits.
I'd pay good money for a MiG 21 Bunny Fighter set in 1/72 (currently only in 1/48).

Airfix are asking £10.99 for the vintage classic Shooting Star so it's not just the new moulds which are overpriced.  Perhaps they want to be Hasegawa when they grow up?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 01, 2022, 06:18:00 AM
All that super detail is all very well, but can you see it when the model's built?

Or are they only pandering to those who want to build the kit with all the panels open etc.? Hardly a large market..........  :-\

It's expected in the market in which they're competing, which is larger than one would think and the
prices don't seem to phase the folks in the target market.