Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on July 27, 2022, 12:23:01 PM
I've still got the 1/24 Harrier GR.1.  I was around 14 and just getting into modelling more seriously. My Dad knew someone who worked at Humbrol so I got a bunch of kits for Christmas.  My Dad payed factory rates for them and it was the beginning of The Stash. Before that I'd always made them as I bought them.

Still trying to work up the nerve to build it, I always told myself I'd do it when I had the skills to do a proper job of it!

From what I can remember of mine Simon, it was a nice kit to build. I don't recall any fit problems except for the collapsing front u/c leg where I inserted a bit of propelling pen spring between the trailing arm and shock.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

It seems to me that Airfix is teasing the public with short videos from airshows and clips from it's archives. I don't know if they will produce a new tooling for the Swift or BAC Jaguar.
A retooled BAe Nimrod or release of the model kit at a decent price.
They can release the Fairey Rotodyne which never made it into service but won't tool up the Avro Lincoln which was flown by the RAF,  RAAF and Argentina plus it could have the Canadian decals.
I mean every time I try and visit the Blackbird Models website to see if the conversion set is available it's always sold out so its very popular.

kitnut617

Quote from: McColm on July 28, 2022, 12:58:08 AM

They can release the Fairey Rotodyne which never made it into service but won't tool up the Avro Lincoln which was flown by the RAF,  RAAF and Argentina plus it could have the Canadian decals.
I mean every time I try and visit the Blackbird Models website to see if the conversion set is available it's always sold out so its very popular.

So why don't you try the Flightpath conversion, which is now called David J. Parkins.
https://www.djparkins.com/home.php

McColm

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 28, 2022, 05:31:14 AM

So why don't you try the Flightpath conversion, which is now called David J. Parkins.
I have had issues with their conversion. The front end on their drawings and where they say to cut doesn't leave you with any room for error. They want you to do 'butt joints ' as the resin pieces are solid with no lips or plugs which means that you may have to drill into their resin pieces and glue a plastic rod to give it some support. The detailing is a bit vague as well. Yes an experienced modeler could make this work, I'm not in the same league as you guys and none of my builds have been voted on in Whiffee Awards let alone been selected for them.

kitnut617

Quote from: McColm on July 28, 2022, 06:21:17 AM

I have had issues with their conversion. The front end on their drawings and where they say to cut doesn't leave you with any room for error. They want you to do 'butt joints ' as the resin pieces are solid with no lips or plugs which means that you may have to drill into their resin pieces and glue a plastic rod to give it some support. The detailing is a bit vague as well. Yes an experienced modeler could make this work, I'm not in the same league as you guys and none of my builds have been voted on in Whiffee Awards let alone been selected for them.

I know butt joints are probably not the strongest for gluing if you just glue to the wall thickness of the parts. But all you have to do is thicken the plastic by gluing some styrene strip all around the inside of the fuselage. This gives a thicker gluing surface for the glue to grip onto.

The Wooksta!

You won't find that many resin conversions that are not butt joined.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

McColm

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 28, 2022, 08:34:14 AM
Quote from: McColm on July 28, 2022, 06:21:17 AM

I know butt joints are probably not the strongest for gluing if you just glue to the wall thickness of the parts. But all you have to do is thicken the plastic by gluing some styrene strip all around the inside of the fuselage. This gives a thicker gluing surface for the glue to grip onto.
Thanks I will give it a try  :thumbsup:

Mossie

I had trouble with their Vulcan B.1 conversion.  The leading edges had a small male plug but it wasn't enough to hold the weight of the resin.  After a few repeated PSR cycles, it cracked away from the wing and I've never found a soloution to fix it.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Wardukw

As a armour builder for many decades resin is something  ive worked with a heap of times from simple small conversions to full blown full resin models and like you blokes issues are there pretty much all the time .
One trick ive used for yrs and it works a treat..i take a couple of pieces of sheet styrene and super glue them to the resin parts then glue them together with plastic glue.
I dont glue plastic around the edges ..i make the plate the same size as the parts im glueing..its a stronger join.
Gives ya tons of wiggle room and depending on how heavy the parts are which need  gluing ya just use thicker sheet...even .10mm sheet will glue quite heavy parts together.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

McColm

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on July 29, 2022, 12:57:49 AM
As a armour builder for many decades resin is something  ive worked with a heap of times from simple small conversions to full blown full resin models and like you blokes issues are there pretty much all the time .
One trick ive used for yrs and it works a treat..i take a couple of pieces of sheet styrene and super glue them to the resin parts then glue them together with plastic glue.
I dont glue plastic around the edges ..i make the plate the same size as the parts im glueing..its a stronger join.
Gives ya tons of wiggle room and depending on how heavy the parts are which need  gluing ya just use thicker sheet...even .10mm sheet will glue quite heavy parts together.
Thanks for the info  :thumbsup:

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 13, 2022, 09:23:35 AM
Why would the one WITHOUT the extra bombs cost a lot more than the one WITH the bombs? :(

Sometimes this 'marketing' stuff just defeats me.................  :banghead:

Bigger decal sheet? Markings, including nose art for five aircraft.  ;)

The A-Bomber versions of the kit don't come with the two copies of the D sprue of conventional bombs.

KiwiZac

Latest rumour on Britmodeller is a 1/48 Auster. Autocar for me, please!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Wardukw

Scarey thing for me as im trying to restrict my building of aircraft but i seriously want to build the 1/24th Mosquito  ;D
That looks like one hell out a build and the painting side alone would take a month  :wacko:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KiwiZac on July 30, 2022, 07:31:49 PM

Latest rumour on Britmodeller is a 1/48 Auster. Autocar for me, please!

Re-pop it in 1/72 scale please.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I'd much rather have a Lincoln.  Just the one, as it'll be nigh on 50 notes.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic