Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Has Airfix new-tooled any 1/72 buccaneer?
Will die without understanding this world.

zenrat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 31, 2022, 05:12:20 AM
I'd much rather have a Lincoln.  Just the one, as it'll be nigh on 50 notes.

Yes, a Mk 30A or 31 with the loooong nose please.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

Quote from: ysi_maniac on August 01, 2022, 04:06:55 AM
Has Airfix new-tooled any 1/72 buccaneer?

Yes, in two boxings.  Naval or RAF.  The former has Navy specific pylons and three row SNEBs, plus the early door.  The RAF one has more lethality and later pylons.  No Sea Eagles, IIRC.

Snag is Airfix scanned a late airframe that had all the upgrades and mods, which need removing.  There's a thread on Britmodeller that details what needs fixing for what, but I don't recall which and I ditched my membership in protest at Tony O'Toole being banned.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

ysi_maniac

^^^^
Thank you. I will try to see.
Will die without understanding this world.

AeroplaneDriver

Looks like the new 1/48 Buccaneer is in stock at Airfix.  Not available on the US site yet, so I bit the bullet and ordered from the UK.  Very excited about this kit.  Not cheap, but hopefully worth it. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 04, 2022, 12:28:11 AM
Looks like the new 1/48 Buccaneer is in stock at Airfix.  Not available on the US site yet, so I bit the bullet and ordered from the UK.  Very excited about this kit.  Not cheap, but hopefully worth it.

Been some very good reviews in the UK mag's  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 04, 2022, 12:28:11 AM

Thank you for the heads-up  :thumbsup: Ordered one yesterday evening and have been notified that it will arive Monday  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

AeroplaneDriver

Just a little update on my post yesterday about ordering the new Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer...as we all know it's not a cheap kit and I have definite plans for two of them...one RW RN and one Whif. 

So I figured in for a penny in for a pound and ordered four of the beasts.  Estimates for it hitting the US shelves seem to be Octoberish timeframe so I figured if I order four I might be able to capitalize on a little eBay madness and recoup some of the cost by reselling two of them at a reasonable premium.  Plus it got me free shipping. 

Which brings me to the point of the update.  Just got a text notification that they will be delivered on Tuesday.  For kits ordered yesterday that gives a total transit time of FIVE DAYS from the UK.  Very impressed with the speed of Airfix's service and can't wait to get my hands on this one. 

kitnut617

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 05, 2022, 09:42:31 AM
Just a little update on my post yesterday about ordering the new Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer...as we all know it's not a cheap kit and I have definite plans for two of them...one RW RN and one Whif. 

So I figured in for a penny in for a pound and ordered four of the beasts.  Estimates for it hitting the US shelves seem to be Octoberish timeframe so I figured if I order four I might be able to capitalize on a little eBay madness and recoup some of the cost by reselling two of them at a reasonable premium.  Plus it got me free shipping. 

Which brings me to the point of the update.  Just got a text notification that they will be delivered on Tuesday.  For kits ordered yesterday that gives a total transit time of FIVE DAYS from the UK.  Very impressed with the speed of Airfix's service and can't wait to get my hands on this one.

I wouldn't be counting my chickens just yet Nick, Airfix probably thinks the name of the town that's near you is in the UK somewhere.  ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 05, 2022, 10:29:37 AM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 05, 2022, 09:42:31 AM

I wouldn't be counting my chickens just yet Nick, Airfix probably thinks the name of the town that's near you is in the UK somewhere.  ;D

The text and email notifications were from DHL worldwide shipping so I'm fairly confident!  Fingers crossed!!

NARSES2

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 05, 2022, 10:35:05 AM

The text and email notifications were from DHL worldwide shipping so I'm fairly confident!  Fingers crossed!!

That's very good going if it works out Nick, wouldn't be to much better for a UK delivery. Interested in your views on this one, as I've said the magazine review is excellent and I might just be tempted  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

The Anson is also out, allegedly.  Some dude on the book of faces was crowing about it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

My Buccaneer arrived early this evening about five minutes to six!

Looks very nice in the bags. Four decal options come with the kit for three 'C' versions and one 'D'. Not decided what mine will be, could even be a 'D' transferred to the RAF. Regardless it will not be OOTB as that's too normal so research will be done.

Nice and speedy delivery, well done Hornby, roughly forty eight hours for a free over £30 spend delivery :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

Well you could build it with a grey camo scheme, or a grey camo scheme or another grey camo scheme but then again you could do it grey camo  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

I was reading a Brit modeller thread and they mentioned the schemes are all later due to some noise reduction bumps added in front of the intake that weren't there on early machines.  So all the kit RN schemes are grey, but it's a simple case of sanding it flush to backdate it to a grey over white scheme.
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235104530-airfix-148-buccaneer-s2-for-2022/page/15/
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.