Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

GBP72.49 = AUD130.24

Going rate for an Airfix 1/72 Handley-Page Victor B.2
MRP: AU$140.50 Save: AU$13.00 (9% OFF)
AU$127.50 (incl. GST)

Although BNA Models has it listed as both "Discontinued" & "Out of Stock"; I'm assuming that if Airfix are selling them, they're not "Discontinued"? :unsure:

I note that the Airfix 1/72 Avro Vulcan B.2 Strategic Bomber is going for even bigger money;

MRP: AU$153.95 Save: AU$14.00 (9% OFF)
AU$139.95 (incl. GST)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

It's on the new releases newsletter I got yesterday Guy. So new transfers, parts ? Not sure as it really doesn't interest me. I was just taken by the price.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

The current Victor has the Blue Steel grafted on underneath, were they always like that or were the first ones tankers?

They have to be different in some way as they have different wing spans.

And yes, it is VERY pricy!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

It's a rerelease of the kit that came out in 2016,
the tanker version was released a couple of years
later. 

The original release was around £40.

McColm

Over engineered with a lot of details hidden and the instructions need to be read a few times before construction starts. The engine air intakes dividers are problematic. Most parts fit first time, although it helps to wash the parts before assembly and after when you have finished otherwise the paint goes funny.

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 25, 2022, 08:12:32 AMThe current Victor has the Blue Steel grafted on underneath, were they always like that or were the first ones tankers?

They have to be different in some way as they have different wing spans.

And yes, it is VERY pricy!

If your talking about kits by Airfix, they started with the Victor B.Mk2[BS] in 2016 followed by the Victor K.2/SR.2 in 2018. The NEW release looks to be the same as the 2016 boxing going by the information on the Airfix web site.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Apart from the price which has nearly doubled.................... :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

seems like just yesterday these kits were affordable. I guess 144th scale would be the best option for a V Force now
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

I dreamt of modern mouldings if the V-force a few years back.  At the price, I'm going to keep dreaming. The old Airfix Vulcan and Matchbox Victor will have to do.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

Quote from: Mossie on October 25, 2022, 11:56:41 PMI dreamt of modern mouldings if the V-force a few years back.  At the price, I'm going to keep dreaming. The old Airfix Vulcan and Matchbox Victor will have to do.
You could use the Mach2  Valiant if you can find one cheap enough,  yes it requires a lot of work and no the Alleycat upgrade sets don't fit as the Mach2 model is slightly smaller than the Airfix kit.

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 25, 2022, 06:29:33 AMGBP72.49 = AUD130.24

Going rate for an Airfix 1/72 Handley-Page Victor B.2
MRP: AU$140.50 Save: AU$13.00 (9% OFF)
AU$127.50 (incl. GST)

Although BNA Models has it listed as both "Discontinued" & "Out of Stock"; I'm assuming that if Airfix are selling them, they're not "Discontinued"? :unsure:...

That'll be what they were charging last time they had any.  Price will probly increase when/if they get new stock.
Unfortunately I will be obliged to buy one as I want to build another shortened Victor - this time in camo to confuse JMNs - but I refuse to try to do so with that ill fitting abomination from Matchbox.  Once was enough.
It might be a fitting thing to use all my BNA points on.

It makes a change complaining about prices other than Hasegawa's for once.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Mossie on October 25, 2022, 11:56:41 PMI dreamt of modern mouldings if the V-force a few years back.  At the price, I'm going to keep dreaming. The old Airfix Vulcan and Matchbox Victor will have to do.

As someone who has wrestled the Matchbox Victor 3 times, I'd pay the money and get the new tool. It's not worth the aggravation of the cheaper option.  The old Vulcan isn't too bad and can still be a decent model.  Many say get the earlier release but the more recent boxings have that soft plastic that's easier to work with.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Mossie

I haven't got 70 odd notes to spare though.  I managed to pick up the Revell boxing in 2009 from Modelzone for eight quid a good few years back, a steal even then.  If I do the project I've been planning I should only need the wings and tail.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kerick

If you are using parts I'd go with the cheaper kit. No point spending extra money and have half of it laying around. Just my $0.02.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

The Wooksta!

The wings and tail are the worst parts. Especially the wings.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic