Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 01, 2022, 07:19:17 AM
Quote from: Scotaidh on October 31, 2022, 01:06:39 PMAs a boy I had "The Observer's Little Book of Aircraft" which was filled with similar images.  The images were on one page and the aircraft data on the facing page.  I never used in 'in anger', so to speak, but I did read it a lot.

Still got a couple of mine plus some of the Warplanes of the Second World War and Warplanes of WW1 series which were like hardback miniature Putnam's.

I've still got about 20 editions.

Once upon a time I had a copy of a similar publication called 'The Dumpy Book of Aircraft'.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

Quote from: kitbasher on November 01, 2022, 07:26:42 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 01, 2022, 07:19:17 AM
Quote from: Scotaidh on October 31, 2022, 01:06:39 PMAs a boy I had "The Observer's Little Book of Aircraft" which was filled with similar images.  The images were on one page and the aircraft data on the facing page.  I never used in 'in anger', so to speak, but I did read it a lot.

Still got a couple of mine plus some of the Warplanes of the Second World War and Warplanes of WW1 series which were like hardback miniature Putnam's.

I've still got about 20 editions.

Once upon a time I had a copy of a similar publication called 'The Dumpy Book of Aircraft'.

I've got the Green/Swansborough 'Complete Book of Fighters' on the bookshelf. It's formatted the same way as the Observers books. Which is not surprising, those books were also written by them.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

The return of the Whirlwind Wessex in 1/72 has been re-released, the kit is older than me  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: McColm on November 01, 2022, 09:49:10 PMThe return of the Whirlwind Wessex in 1/72 has been re-released, the kit is older than me  ;D

Youngster  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on November 01, 2022, 09:49:10 PMThe return of the Whirlwind Wessex in 1/72 has been re-released, the kit is older than me  ;D

The what?

Is it the Westland Whirlwind? AFAIK Airfix have never done a Wessex, so far anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

The what ? You cannot view this attachment.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

The one with the green artwork on the front of the box.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 02, 2022, 02:27:31 AMIs it the Westland Whirlwind? AFAIK Airfix have never done a Wessex, so far anyway.

Yup it's the Whirlwind
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Always liked that kit, but isn't the Italeri one much better ?
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

I'm not sure that Italeri do a Whirlwind, or even an H-19. They do make a halfway decent Wessex though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 03, 2022, 04:40:38 AMI'm not sure that Italeri do a Whirlwind, or even an H-19. They do make a halfway decent Wessex though.

They did the H-19B Chickasaw back in 2000 and re-released it as the UH-19 and HO4S-3. Revell used the same mould for their H-19A.

Mossie

I think there are/were some conversion kits for doing various Westland variants (including turbine versions) for the Italeri kit, but I believe the Airfix kit is the only oob option.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

That's good to know then, the Airfix one is pretty old hat by now.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 02, 2022, 02:27:31 AM

The what?

Is it the Westland Whirlwind? AFAIK Airfix have never done a Wessex, so far anyway.
Quote from: Mossie on November 03, 2022, 07:03:35 AMI think there are/were some conversion kits for doing various Westland variants (including turbine versions) for the Italeri kit, but I believe the Airfix kit is the only oob option.

I've got a HAR.9 and a HAS.7 conversions, IIIRC they're made by Airwaves.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter