Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Unmolested 'dynes are nearly impossible to find here.  Airfix price will be probably be worth paying.

Quote from: Nick on January 11, 2023, 04:59:28 AM...My favourite of this years releases? The new box art on the 1/48 Hunter - showing it flying thru Tower Bridge  :thumbsup:
Nice inclusion of a red bus and black cab in the background - modern versions of both are available from Airfix!

And period versions from Revell.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

Corgi has released it's quarterly line-up and one or two models usually make the leap into plastic.

Weaver

The three that are on the more-likely-than-not list for me are the Rotodyne, the Auster (given my liking for Antarctic things) and the Bond Bug (I've got some post-apocalypse figures... :wacko: )
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 11, 2023, 01:41:24 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 11, 2023, 12:35:44 PMI've already got a few Rotodynes in the stash, so  an expensive rerelease? No, stays on the shelf. And given the disappointment I felt with the Mosquito B.XVI, I can't get excited by the PR.XVI, even though it has more scope for other versions (a PR32 with the longer wingtips for one), especially with that tediously dull option Airfix have on the box.

What did you find disappointing about the B.XVI?  I'm curious because I built it just before Christmas and couldn't help but feel a bit "blah" about it but couldn't put my finger on what it was.

Probably too coloured by building the Tamiya kit.  The Airfix undercarriage is too skinny and I found it way too fiddly, plus the simple butt joins have no strength, Tamiya had small attachment pins to aid assembly. The cockpit internals look clunky, the prop blades are way too thick. Vile tail wheel that is neither nowt nor sommat. Not that I use crew figures, but where's the navigator?  Starboard hatch is so ill defined as to be nigh on invisible. Various intakes/vents are left off or too small. Let's not mention the Lidar blunder and the kit being more TT.35.

It had the potential to be a great kit, and after the same designer had produced a Spitfire that almost rivals the Eduard ones, it sodding well should have been. Had he simply checked with a few experts - Ian Thirsk or John Adams, say - then most of these niggles could have been avoided.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

elmayerle

The Rotodyne tempts me.  Dare I hope for a new decal sheet that will have both civil and military markings?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

zenrat

I got hold of an Auster last year.  I should have known they would have re-released it.
I'm tempted by the Bloodhound.  An air-launched version...
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Weaver

I like the Bloodhound but I've already got a stack of them.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

I have just one.  And that was hard to find here.
Fred

The Wooksta!

There was an air launched Bloodhound planned, I've seen a drawing of a Vulcan toting three or four.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on January 13, 2023, 03:07:05 AMI got hold of an Auster last year.  I should have known they would have re-released it.
I'm tempted by the Bloodhound.  An air-launched version...

The Auster is a nice little thing;  I have one that I bought  for 50p  as a partially assembled (and partially glue bombed) item some time ago.  I've managed to tidy it up and for an ancient Airfix, it's going together  reasonably  well..  I  have the Bloodhound too, but so far I only have plans for the SWB Land Rover  that came with the original kit.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

As Biggles flew an Auster in his Special Air Police days I have had thoughts in that direction.

I've built the SWB Land Rover.  Its basic.  For best results paint the "glass" black on the inside and print a radiator grille.
Fred

Beermonster58

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 13, 2023, 05:04:38 AMThere was an air launched Bloodhound planned, I've seen a drawing of a Vulcan toting three or four.
Yes. Heard about that as well. Haven't seen any drawings/pictures though. Interesting concept. Just trying to figure out how to hang such a large missile under it! :thumbsup: .
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

PR19_Kit

Would an air launched Bloodhound need its boosters? How fast did the Thor engine need to be going before it would start OK?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 14, 2023, 05:46:27 AMWould an air launched Bloodhound need its boosters? How fast did the Thor engine need to be going before it would start OK?

Wiki's errata on ramjets says anything above M0.5 for a ramjet to produce usable thrust.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Gondor

One Club C on page 116 of British Secret Projects: Hypersonics, Ramjets & Missiles

A similarlooking missile is Blue Envoy which was larger than the Red Duster/Bloodhound 1. which also appears earlier in the above book. There is a scaled drawing at the bottom of page 70 of Battle Flight

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....