Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Penguin

or its the club or group of friends  series  get the set and split it how you want  :angel:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Beermonster58

Quote from: Weaver on April 30, 2023, 07:18:21 PMDon't know if anyone's noticed, but Airfix are doing 'bundles' of kits for substantially less than the combined RRPs of the kits in them.

The general page is here:
https://uk.airfix.com/shop/bundles?encoded=jc5NS8QwEAbgv1IvvVW2PdlDsCy46EEsLOhhKWGSzrbDpmmZJNL-e6OLa44e53nn69GAHVrwowDiM61FuORnMh7ZnSaycmHS2IndH8L6i1VZ39f1LWkZizfukTtxsz2D7ZP6A1X2tGoTHH1i4i8ep-yowaR4YMTsONKykB1SJ0tuTGCKR8DPvMmrSLV1p4XnPmgvFUsNHocYd0JxoYLtDbr_DbugkunXzcWGLdvPK7qmae6eZ6Vied34De9gAmYt6IvLFxhQUi_KsiqrXe5mjs9s4uEnEOUX

Well, there won't be any grounds for divorce here as, I'm not married!! £150 is still a lot of money though.

Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Martin H

finaly! The Long awaited V bomber gift set (in all but Name)  :wub:
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Wardukw

OK guys I've a question for ya ...I contacted Airfix about this messed up Lancaster I have with 2 left hand sides and 4 upper wings and they got back to me pretty quickly and said they got the parts I need to sort this thing out.
Now they want £13 for the parts which I've got no problem with..the weird thing is they want me to call them in the UK and tell them my card details over the phone ..any of you blokes had this before ?
It seems strange to be they don't do card payments over the net ..seems very old and bloody inconvenient for the buyer As I'll have to find out what time to call which for me couple be 3am for all I know.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on May 11, 2023, 07:18:16 PMOK guys I've a question for ya ...I contacted Airfix about this messed up Lancaster I have with 2 left hand sides and 4 upper wings and they got back to me pretty quickly and said they got the parts I need to sort this thing out.
Now they want £13 for the parts which I've got no problem with..the weird thing is they want me to call them in the UK and tell them my card details over the phone ..any of you blokes had this before ?
It seems strange to be they don't do card payments over the net ..seems very old and bloody inconvenient for the buyer As I'll have to find out what time to call which for me couple be 3am for all I know.

Well first off...if you bought a kit with wrong parts in the box that is THEIR responsibility to fix at THEIR cost.  Not your's.  If this is the case I would put my card in my wallet and let each and every modeling website and social media page know about it.  Now if you bought a messed up second hand kit and they are offering up the correct parts for a fee...I'd call the number on their website and go through the process of being connected to the correct department before giving a card.  Did they email with a case number or anything?  If so call their website number with that number at the ready. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Rick Lowe

Phill, I usually take it we are 12 hours ahead, FWIW.
Not sure how to allow for daylight savings, but they're probably on something similar anyways, so it's probably a wash.

And yeah, I agree with 'Driver - new kit, their problem to fix.

Wardukw

Yeah my thoughts of it being a new kit ..I brought it couple of yrs ago at a model swap meet that was held here .
One thing about giving my card details over the phone strikes me as weird as F#$k ..especially for a company as big as Airfix.
There's no proof of purchase as its a cash sale as they always are at these things ..still thou £13 quid ain't bad for a $90 kit set but I'm still heavily concerned about this card over the phone crap.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

I'd follow Nick's advice & go to their website, find their contact phone number & call them direct from your end to sort it out.

If you get a call centre & aren't too confident with giving your details, (& I know this is going to sound weird) write a letter to them, explaining the situation (again) & that you're concerned about hackers & scammers possibly giving you false information to get your card details.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Hobbes

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on May 11, 2023, 07:18:16 PMOK guys I've a question for ya ...I contacted Airfix about this messed up Lancaster I have with 2 left hand sides and 4 upper wings and they got back to me pretty quickly and said they got the parts I need to sort this thing out.

It's a bit oldfashioned, but this is an anti-fraud tactic.
- they probably can't use a normal webshop interface because this is not an item that's for sale in the usual sense: they're doing a custom order
- sending CC details in an email is generally considered unsafe because email is easily intercepted.
- a phone call allows you to verify you're really calling Airfix and not a scammer.

NARSES2

Firstly do they know you are in New Zealand ?

Secondly I totally agree with Harro, even if it sounds odd it is an anti-fraud tactic and Airfix will mainly be used to dealing with customers in the UK so it's probably a tad unusual on both sides.

Even if you purchase something on-line with your card here in the UK you are more often than not being asked to verify it via phone or similar device regardless of the size of the company nowadays. Just had to do it this morning for some train tickets.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Yeah I just thought it a bit odd but when i emailed em for the first time it was a link to their spares department from the Airfix website.
I'll email em today and ask them if they realise im in NZ and not in the UK .
Thanks for the help gentlemen 😀 .

uncletain

The main concern with giving card details over the phone is that someone in theory can view all your card details. Take them and use them elsewhere. In the UK there is legislation (can't remember the name off hand) that all transactions need to comply with to mask or hide your full card number, so no one party can see the actual card number (known as a PAN).

It maybe that they have a secure way of taking your card details over the phone, like using your keypad on your phone to enter the number rather than speaking them out loud. Or using a pay by link, Airfix would text or email a link to a site that will process the transaction. Again saving anyone having your details.

This might sound dodgy but it provides tracking of the payment and offers you better protection too.

For Airfix, taking payment over the phone is the riskiest way to take payment as they lose any protections given by the bank, so if a payment is fraudulent, Airfix lose the money.

It is also the riskiest way for a customer to make a payment, mainly as you have no idea who has just taken your card number.

But for balance, Airfix is large enough business to have protections in place for customers making ad hoc payments like for spares.
So I don't think you have too much worry about, as long as you feel you can trust who you are contacting is Airfix.

In case you are wondering, payment fraud is my day job, (as in stopping it not committing it) so if you have any questions please let me know.

:thumbsup:

Rick Lowe

TBH, I'd be more confident about giving my cc # by phone, or over a secure website, than sending it in an email or two.

Wardukw

As uncletain   said..and cheers matey  ;D ..I want to be certain I'm talking to Airfix and that everything goes good ..if i can ill post the reply email I got from them in here and then you guys ( pointing at uncletain here  <_< ) can see what my concerns are..there's no info in it for bad eyes to see so I know it will be all good in here .

Wardukw

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email,

I can confirm that we have managed to source the part/parts for you and request a payment of £13.00............. Pound Sterling. This amount is inclusive of postage and packaging.

This payment can be made by calling us on +44 (0)1843 233512 (option 1) using a Master/Visa/credit card or by sending a cheque to the following address ensuring that reference *529917****** is referred to:
Payment of these spares cannot be made via PayPal or a bank transfer.

Once payment has been received we will have the parts shipped to you from our warehouse at:

Hornby Hobbies Ltd
Units 5-10 Sparrow Way
Lakesview international Business Park
Hersden
CT3 4JQ

The required spares will be held for a period of four weeks however we look forward to hearing from you further and request an initial response within 7 days of this dated email.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards
Airfix Spares Team

There ya go lads..it seems all legit from the email address but I need ppl who know far better than I do .