Small Combatants - Fast Attack Craft and PT Boats

Started by GTX, January 04, 2008, 06:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Brit HDML under sail.

Now imagine a sail equipped S-Boat and a sail-equipped HDML, in the West Indies and both out of fuel. ;D

Jon

GTX

Going to the other extreme, how about a pulse jet or turbojet powered version?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

B777LR

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 07, 2008, 10:18:26 PM
Now imagine a sail equipped S-Boat and a sail-equipped HDML, in the West Indies and both out of fuel. ;D

Raiders of the Carribean!

Starring: Hans Sparrow as the fearless S-boot commander! :wacko:

jcf

Quote from: GTX on January 08, 2008, 01:04:43 AM

Regards,

Greg

Being as the S-Boat is round-bilged and of relatively deep draft for her length (when compared to Brit, US and Italian craft), I'd say that a pulse-jet only craft is a non-starter. Too much inertia and hull drag to overcome. Maybe use jets of either type as a speed booster for a foil-borne version, however, I think that the period engines are too fragile for marine use.

The German's were working on advanced fixed and marine gas-turbine powerplants during the period, so that would not be too much of a stretch. Especially as fixed use industrial gas-turbines had been around since the early part of the century. High-pressure pump design was also fairly well advanced...

so why not a gas-turbine powering a jet-pump?

Jon

Jeffry Fontaine

While doing some on-line research on the USS Asheville PG-84 Class gunboats I came across a Wikipedia entry for this vessel and there was an image of a Greek Navy Asheville Class vessel (former USS Green Bay (PG-101)) now known as HNS Tolmi P-229 in Greek Naval service.  The image shows that the original bow mounted 3.50" gun had been landed and replaced by a Bofors 40mm weapon (same modifications appear to have been applied to the stern mounted Bofors as well).  What really caught my eye in this image was the missing exhaust and intake associated with the GE LM-1500 gas turbine.  These fixtures were removed which indicates to me that this vessel is now powered only by the diesel engines and is no longer capable of the 35+knot speeds originally attibuted to this class of vessel.  Checking with the Hellenic Navy page it appears that the gas turbine probulsion was removed prior to transfer so this is not something recent.  Still most images of the Asheville class gunboats have not been of recent users and this was a pleasant surprise which also offers other WHIF possibilities for this model from Revell.  See the attached images of HNS Tolmi for the details.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

luft46models

Regards,

Greg

The Germans did have this planned using 2 Ju52 floats joined together and a pulse jet at the rear ( Tornado) - didn't get near the speed expected according to the info on the kit I have from ??? ( sorry not at home to look it up) Just got this kit onto my bench again - the @@#$%@@ supports for it keep snapping of and if not them then the #^#^#^ rudders - will let you see a pic if this ever gets finished

William in Oz

frank2056

The Ashville gunboats are slightly smaller versions of their Russian counterparts, the Tarantul/Pauk classes. Even the shapes and armament are similar. I have some old Innex and recent Mirage 1/400 Tarantuls and Pauks that I may whiff into a modern US gunboat. In fact, if I scalorama the 1/400 Tarantul to 1/350, it almost matches the size of the Ashville class.

I love the oil canning on the side of the HNS Tolmi!

Frank

Hobbes

Thanks for bringing up this old thread.

I really like this diorama (from the first post in the thread):

jcf

Quote from: luft46models on April 29, 2008, 06:41:57 PM

The Germans did have this planned using 2 Ju52 floats joined together and a pulse jet at the rear ( Tornado) - didn't get near the speed expected according to the info on the kit I have from ??? ( sorry not at home to look it up) Just got this kit onto my bench again - the @@#$%@@ supports for it keep snapping of and if not them then the #^#^#^ rudders - will let you see a pic if this ever gets finished

William in Oz

Sprengboot Tornado was an application of an older concept that had been around since before WWI. The twin hull layout is one of the original types of hydroglisseur, which the Italians brought to the highest state of development with their idroscivolante racers of the twenties and thirties.

T108

Jon

jcf

Here is a fun one for y'all:
the SWAB, Shallow-Water Attack Boat conceived to attack Komar or Osa class boats.

http://www.warboats.org/Flops/Fabulous%20Flops%20of%20Naval%20Engineering_R1.htm

Built on a standard 31' Bertram sport boat hull the modified superstructure and engine cover were coated with RAM, an LSD was to serve as the mothership.
Note that info in Friedman 'U.S. Small Combatants' disagrees with the website text:
1) each 57mm cluster consisted of seven rifles not six
2) the ranging MGs were .50 M2
3) the rifle clusters were intentionally limited to a range of 2,500yds by cutout cams to prevent damage to the boat,
the backblast still caused damage to the engine cover - blowing off fibreglass and some of the RAM.
4) the 20mm was the Mark 3

The original armament was two standard 2.75inch FFAR pods, test showed that the pods had too much dispersion and thus the replacement with the clustered 57mm recoilless rifles.

Cheers,
Jon

jcf

The ultimate development of the Asheville class is the Tacoma Boat PSMM Mark 5.
Used by Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand.

Here is a Taiwanese vessel:

http://up1.googletounion.com/data/bbs/27/8/278/a/07/50/20071216_8dfa35ea4d18310ea7d0aTwePDbIQfSk.jpg

Jon

luft46models

Jon,

the Tornado kit I have from Mando Models is more like a speedboat with a V-1 on struts tho I do seriously  :wub: the version in your photo. Who makes this kit or was it a DIY effort?
Was reading more on the instructions on the kit and the next development from this was the Schlitten which is a part submerged version with torpedo(s) that looks more like a racing boat but lower in the water. This is avaliable from Schatton Modelllbau in 1/72 in 2 versions - sadly I have both :rolleyes:

William in Oz

jcf

Quote from: luft46models on May 01, 2008, 05:43:06 PM
Jon,

the Tornado kit I have from Mando Models is more like a speedboat with a V-1 on struts tho I do seriously  :wub: the version in your photo. Who makes this kit or was it a DIY effort?
Was reading more on the instructions on the kit and the next development from this was the Schlitten which is a part submerged version with torpedo(s) that looks more like a racing boat but lower in the water. This is avaliable from Schatton Modelllbau in 1/72 in 2 versions - sadly I have both :rolleyes:

William in Oz

The kit is from Schatton.
http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Schatton/Schatton_72/Schatton_Sprengboot_Tornado/Schatton_Tornado.html

I have old ('80s) ModelFan drawings for the same craft.
I'll dig them out and scan them when I have a chance.

Jon

Daryl J.

Uzi-equipped electric kayak anyone?

Daryl J.

jcf

Returning to Jeffry's original post and building off of puddingwrestler's 1/131 scale inquiry vis-a-vis the Revell PGM kit,
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20636.0.html
some drawings that may be of interest.

1) Asheville class PGM as built.

2) Tacoma boat PSSM developed from the Asheville, OTO-Melara 76mm turret forward, twin 30mm turret aft.

3) Finally from the development program that resulted in the Asheville class, Fast PGM - Schedule 5 design concept.
Design 5 was slightly shorter than the Ashevilles, 161 feet LOA versus 164.5 feet LOA.

Jon