Shin Maywa PS-1, US-1, and US-2 Whif Ideas

Started by ChernayaAkula, May 01, 2010, 10:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

How about a AWACS version of the PS-1? Rotodome is from an E-2 Hawkeye.

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

apophenia

Shin Meiwa also proposed a landplane STOL airliner version of the PS-1. It looked rather like a much-enlarged Dash 7 (but with main gear in fuselage sponsons). There was also a straight airliner version of the flying boat proposed.

rickshaw

Quote from: anthonyp on October 27, 2007, 03:18:05 PM
Well, "not invented here" isn't a good reason, considering most of the USCG's air fleet comes from somewhere else (HH-65 and HU-25 from France, HC-143 from Canada, HC-144 from Spain, and the Deepwater MRR Helo was originally going to be the AB139), though the rest are totally feasible.

Maybe replace "Not invented here" with "Total lack of funds?"

EDIT:  Ugh...  Yeah, I was being especially thick yesterday, my sarcasm meter must have been off or something  :dum:  

You must remember that the "two-way street" in defence procurement only became established under Reagan in the late 1980s.  The Shin Maywa was offered IIRC in the early 1970s.  Different time period, different attitudes.   Even with the "two way street", the US congress invariably makes sure what the US military adopts must be manufactured in the US, if its a foreign design.  Can anyone recognise pork-barrelling when they see it?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

dragon

USCG markings are a natural.
How about:
NASA: part of the rescue system for astronauts in the water.
DEA
CDF: California Department of Forestry, firefighting water bomber
US NAVY SEALs: SEAL delivery aircraft
FEDEX
AIR AMERICA
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

dy031101

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on May 01, 2010, 10:35:02 AM
How about a AWACS version of the PS-1?

Valuable once Japan decides (or, in alt-history, decided) to build a real STOVL carrier?  ;D
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

jcf

The 737 AEW&C Wedgetail/Peace Eagle type top-hat array is more likely for any 'new' AWACS type aircraft,
and would probably look better on the PS-1, plus its easier to scratchbuild.  ;D

JayBee

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on October 27, 2007, 02:54:50 PM
Choose one or more of the following answers that best apply to the following question:  

QuoteWhy doesn't the USCG have such aircraft?
  • 1.  Not invented here.
  • 2.  Lack of adult supervision.
  • 3.  Insufficient bribes to the right people in high places.
  • 4.  Lack of vision by those charged with the security and protection of our country's borders.
  • 5.  All of the above.

Yep, I think that about covers it :rolleyes:

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

MAD

Quote from: Maverick on October 27, 2007, 12:09:51 AM
I've always loved the Shin-Meiwa series.  I've read that their sea-state capabilities were quite good, a photo I have seen has one submerged down to the nose radome as a test of sea-worthiness.

For myself, I'd thought of licence production or outright production for Australia, given our nautical type requirements.

Mav

I hear you Mav!

On ANZAC Day I spoke to a WWII RAAF Sunderland pilot, who said there are so many versatile things a flying boat could and did do, that a normal fixed wing could not. He to this day does not understand why the likes of Britain and the US lost faith in the flying boat concept. 'Did not WWII prove its worth'?

I to am a fan of the idea of a Shin Maywa PS-1 in RAAF service.
Although its sad to say, instead of it being used in the military terms of MP/ASW, it would more likely be used rescuing bloody dic*head around the world adventure yachts men and women!
Any chance of a 'what if' profile of a PS-1 in RAAF colours and markings armed with torpedoes and Harpoon ASM's?????? (and an Indonesian sub kill?) Hint, Hint!!!

M.A.D

GTX

I'm with you guys - I used to push for the AP-3Cs to be replaced with flying boats.

RAAF Base Whitsunday anyone?

Westernised Beriev Be-42 / A-40 or Be-200 would do nicely (as would a model kit of either...hint, hint!).  In fact I do believe the A-40 might have been briefly offered to the UK as a Nimrod replacement.

Alternatively, a ShinMaywa US-2 would be doable.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

McColm

Has anyone built the Hasegawa 650-40025 1/72 PS-1 or US-2 model?
If I can get my hands on one, I'll try the RAF coastal command paint scheme.

McColm

India is having talks with Shin Maywa about buying the US-2 for the Air Force and Navy . In the role of: anti-surface warfare, search and rescue , maritime patrol and electronic intelligence duties. The Indian Coast Guard is also interested in adding the US-2I to its fleet.
Japan has a ban on military sales so the US-2I would be sold as an unarmed aircraft .
l have had my eye on changing the wings and adding the wings from the Airfix Nimrod kit. I have a set of the C-130J engines from oZMods and enough spare parts to create a maritime patrol version or the AEW in the drawing as mentioned .

jcf

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

Mossie

Nice find with the airliner Jon.

Always thought that a few turrets should be added, replace the turboprops with radials and paint it up in USN or RAF Coastal Command colours and the uninitiated would struggle to tell you it wasn't a wartime prototype.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.