Kyushu J7W Shinden

Started by sequoiaranger, March 08, 2009, 01:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

Some plastic has already been cut on this twin-Shinden long ago. A someday-get-to-it project. (top photo)

Then, why not turn it around for a Walther rocket-boosted interceptor? (bottom photo)
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Dork the kit slayer

Good ideas one and all.........................now come on guys build them.
I know how hard it can be,Ive had all the bits for a "jet" Shinden in one box for about two years,that will now be built the "real" way.Money has been allocated for one(at least) of the new issue jets.
With no big fan at the back surely we can lower the under cart a bit...........that should make it carrier wiffing qualified???
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

sotoolslinger

I also have a couple o Shinden kits......so long now I can't remember what I planned for them :banghead: :blink: One was going to have twin tailbooms but I don't remember from what :huh:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

philp

Quote from: Jschmus on March 07, 2009, 10:27:40 PM
I was planning to build my Shinden as a postwar JASDF machine, say as an interceptor before the F-86 came online.  I envision a scenario where the Self Defense Forces are created years earlier, due to more hostile action by the Soviets, such as recon flights using Tu-4s in bogus markings.

Or taking on Godzilla, Rodan and their kin.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 07, 2009, 10:53:42 PMthe 302nd Naval Air Group (the markings in the kit) was a land-based air defense (interceptor/nightfighter) unit, stationed at Atsugi, that was, in the 'real world', equipped with J2M Raiden interceptors as well as Zeros and Gekkos. If the Shinden had gone into combat it most likely would have been in the hands of the 302nd or 332nd.

The Army had their own advanced projects and it is doubtful that they would have used the Navy's aircraft, both services were funny that way.
Hi Jon,

Well aware of the Army vs Navy issues when it came to the development programs.  I was more concerned with what was stated about the Shinden being a naval aircraft.  This got me to wondering if there were plans to actually launch and recover the Shinden from an aircraft carrier.  First thing that came to mind is where are they going to put the tail hook since there is definitely not a lot of room underneath that airframe for such a thing and the propeller would be in an ideal position for a deck strike or cable strike during landing.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

jcf

The Shinden was completely a project of the IJN, the concept originated with a Naval Design Team as the
MXY6 glider. Kyushu were assigned to develop the concept into a production aircraft, due to an availability
of personnel and manufacturing capacity, Kyushu worked in concert with the IJN Design Team.

The J2M Raiden, N1K1-J, N1K2-J were all land-based interceptor designs that were not used off of, nor intended for,
aircraft carriers. Single-seat, single-engine interceptor in the IJN did not equate to 'carrier based'.

The He 112 and He 100 were both examined by the IJN for the land-based role, for China service naturally, and while
they passed on the 112 they had intended to have Aichi produce the He 100D in quantity. The aircraft was not to
have been 'navalized' i.e. made carrier compatible.

Jon

Green Dragon

Far as I can remember the Shinden was never intended to fly from the carriers, there is a drawing of one of the proposed Ne130 powered Shinden Kai on Hikoki 1946 with shortened landing gear, simplified intakes, raised cockpit with less canopy framing and most of the lower tail surfaces removed. I think this could have been adapted to carrier specs quite easily but I doubt if any plans were started.
Pic linky.
http://www.j-aircraft.org/xplanes/hikoki_graphics/shinden_kai.jpg

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

sequoiaranger

>I'd like to shrink the landing gear length a bit, stretch the length a bit, and sweep all the wings a bit.    It would be a major total rebuild but Kyushu may have taken the aircraft that way.   <

Stretching seems like a good idea, but sweeping the wings more...? For what effect except looks (not that, for whiffs, one needs any excuses)?

To sweep the wings back of sub-sonic aircraft is a waste of time and energy, doing absolutely no good aerodynamically until the wings get swept WAAAAAY back. The Me-262 and Me-163 might as well have had straight wings for all the good they did aerodynamically. Look at the straight-winged Panther, Shooting Star, Meteor/Vampire, etc. These non-swept wing designs were MORE SOPHISTICATED, and were NOT throwbacks to the propeller age, but rather practical wings for the purpose. The straight wings of the He-280 (and incidentally, the Ar-234) were fine for jet fighters.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

JayBee

Found this on the internet the other day.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Sauragnmon

I had one thought come to mind the other day, actually, about my beloved Shinden - what about if they'd decided to make a multirole version of the aircraft - the 4x30mm is a bit heavy to chase, say, fighters with.  I know some specs say they would have carried a single 7.7mm down the nose further, I found myself thinking yesterday, what about a Five Gun shinden - 3x20mm and 2x30mm - it still packs serious scary punch for chasing down bombers, but the 20mm's would also carry a bigger feed, and the navy's Ho-5 had some nice range on it too.

Just a few thoughts.

Of course, I also had the question floating in mind of "What if Kyushu continued to build aircraft?" and had thoughts of converting other Delta/Canard aircraft with JASDF equipment and engines, turning them into Japanese aircraft produced ostensibly by Kyushu.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

luft46models

I've got the ordinary Shinden in 1/72 ready to paint. I've Germanified it by adding 2 X-4's and a cockpit in RLM66 and the paint scheme is based on a Fw190 sheet from Eagle Strike. Hopefully it'll fare better than the 1/48 version I accidentally left in the back of the car on a nice hot Aussie summer day when moving :banghead:. I'll send pics one day when it's finished

William in Oz

HOG

Hoyhoy`Al,
Like `William in Oz` I have always thought that what the Shinden (and the F7 Cutlass) needed was some crosses and a nice Luft 46 paint job. Poss`bly o/all metal with RLM 8* something on the wings and spine. Weapons of choice, some of those late war torpedo designs for the Cutlass and u/wing guns for the J7 or maybe something in the wings to line up with the twin fins. Perhaps when the payrise comes home I`ll get some and give it a try but not at £35GBP though. E-Bah where are ya.

Cheerz  :drink:
G
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

gunfighter

I got my 1/72 shinden last summer for only 10€, and it has been on the bottom of the stash for all this time. Sure a luft 46 build would fit nicely, but I wanted to paint it somehow in blue, so it might be a captured or copied US example. A couple of sidewinders is also an idea...

dragon

Quote from: Sauragnmon on March 12, 2009, 03:59:25 AM
Of course, I also had the question floating in mind of "What if Kyushu continued to build aircraft?" and had thoughts of converting other Delta/Canard aircraft with JASDF equipment and engines, turning them into Japanese aircraft produced ostensibly by Kyushu.

So in the mid 1960s a young Aerospace engineering student named Elbert Leander "Burt" Rutan goes to Japan to do his post graduate work at Kyushu.  In 1970 he goes to work for the USAF at Edwards AFB....

If the above was true, it would go a long way in explaining our real time line and Rutan's genius. :cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST