Do-335 Pfeil

Started by sagallacci, December 14, 2008, 04:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Quote from: rallymodeller on December 19, 2008, 08:38:58 PM
Did this turboprop Pfiel a couple of years ago. It's a twin, but you get the idea...

Only get the idea if we can see it...???

On a related note, I've got a couple of turboprop 335s, but they're part of something top secret so you'll have to wait.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

rallymodeller

Oh, I forgot. That was the stealth version. Here is the more normal one:

Er, heh. Working on a new one now.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Daryl J.

What would have happened if the guys at Tupolev got ahold of the Pfeil and did to it what they did to the B-29 in creating the Tu-95?

Daryl J.

Mossie

I knocked up some turboprops on similar lines to Jeremey's profile, but specifically using Rolls Royce Tynes.  This might fit the Fatherland thread for a COIN aircraft.  Why Tynes, I hear you say, Darts would make more sense?  Because I've got some Tynes in the stash.....  just a maybe, that's all!

EDIT:  Profiles deleted, new ones created to reflect kitnut617's comments below.  See page 3 of this thread for new profiles.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Something I did a while back - part of a yet to be revealed project:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Archangel

Quote from: GTX on February 07, 2009, 12:29:38 PM
Something I did a while back - part of a yet to be revealed project:

Regards,

Greg

If you could seat at least four people in that ,two side by side. Then sweep the wings back a bit and maybe the tail surfaces too ,you could have a nifty little private plane that could get you places fast.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

For completeness, Do.335's with Darts, looks a little neater & much more in keeping with the power requirements.  I've included the two seaters as the second pair of hands might be useful for a COIN role.

EDIT:  Profiles deleted, new ones created to reflect kitnut617's comments below.  See page 3 of this thread for new profiles.

kitnut617

I like your Tyne and Dart Do.335's Simon, but wouldn't the rear engine be in front of the exhaust nozzle.  I think I would move all the little air intakes forward of it and have the rear prop shaft driven.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

I get you Robert, the engines can go in the original positions, so I can keep the same tail assembley.  That's so obvious I'm feeling slightly silly right now, & it'd save a fair bit of work!  I'm glad you let me know now just in case I decide to hack plastic!  I think there's no reason why the exhaust can't go in front, as long the end of the pipe trails.  This was only a problem on the Dart version as the tail assembley was large enough with the Tynes to have it venting in the rear.  It won't matter now, with the engines being in the original position the exhaust can be behind.  I'll try & knock them up soon.

kitnut617

I think you could do the rear exhaust two ways Simon, as you've shown it and then you could streamline the fuselage to spinner profile, or have the exhaust exit around the spinner much like how the original radiator hot air exited from the piston engine set-up.

As an aside, the prop/jet version of the Do.335 still had the jet engine in the same location as the rear piston engine and had a very long jet pipe.

Another thought, if the rear Tyne/Dart is located in the original engine location, it would need an air duct to them, the original radiator duct could then be used for this.

Mossie

Here we go, images changed to reflect Roberts comments.  Rear engines & exhausts in the position of the original powerplants.  I've kept the inlet to the rear engines, but reduced the size to reflect the fact they're turboprops.

The more I look it at, the more I like the Dart version.  The Tyne version looks very powerful, but that's part of the problem, both engines would have produced around 9,000hp.  I find it hard to find a reason for putting that much power in.  It would probably have a very short take off run & ship large amount of ordanance, but the engineering needed to fit them & the stress on the airframe makes the Dart a much better candidate.

The Dart looks more suited to the airframe.  There might be CoG issues, but you could always lengthen the nose a little.  Now, where can I find an Airfix Fokker Freindship, or maybe even an Alize kit.....

I've deleted the earlier images so as not to flood the thread.

kitnut617

Those look very good Simon  :thumbsup:

While I was doing my Crecy styled 'X' engined Sabredog I had come to the conclussion that to get the aircraft to do about 600 mph it would have needed about 8000 hp which was what one of the RR Crecy styled engines had been worked out too, so your 9000 hp would be about right to get the D0.335 doing about the same speed.  I think that these airframes were engineered to be able to do 600 mph in a dive just like somewhere where I've read that the P-47's airframe was.

Mossie

Hmmm, so 9,000hp is a possibility! :blink:  Still, the Dart would be no slouch, somewhere between a total of 4,000 & 6,000hp depending on the version.  I guess there would still to be some beefing up of the structure for prolonged operation at these kind of power ranges.

I've had a thought about CoG, it would be worse in a conventional aircraft, but you've got the two engines helping to cancel each other out to a certain extent, so in the Pfeil it'd be less of a worry.

Mossie

Another thought I've had, the Pfeil isn't ideal for carrying external ordanance.  Centreline, you could remove the scoop & fit one on the side without any problem, so that'd free up space for a single bomb.  The undercarriage folds in to the wing, so it's going to be difficult to fit things inboard of the doors.  You could have pylons that project forward of the leading edge, although there's those CoG issues to think about again.