Do-335 Pfeil

Started by sagallacci, December 14, 2008, 04:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I'm thinking too much here, but a single Tyne would be enough to power it, stick one in the rear, leave the nose free for radar or some serious firepower.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

I was thinking on the lines of overload conditions, weapons that wouldn't quite fit in the bomb bay.  Saying that, a 1,000kg bomb should be enough for anyone.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Simon, if you're really interested in doing a Dart Do.335 I can recommend this conversion, this just arrived in the mail this morning.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rallymodeller

I'm sort of doing this conversion right now as part of the COIN build, and I used an Eland from the Airfix Rotodyne:

Fit's not too bad; a little putty 'round the back ad I have to decide what I'm going to do with the oil cooler duct, but so far so good. And it ewven looks like a Dart.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

GTX

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 11, 2009, 06:21:13 PM
Simon, if you're really interested in doing a Dart Do.335 I can recommend this conversion, this just arrived in the mail this morning.

Do they do any in 1/48?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

Thanks Robert, but Jeremy's got the jump on me, so I'll probably give it a miss now!

Greg, I've had a quick look on the Heritage site & they don't do a 1/48 set of that Dak Dart set.  There is a 1/48 conversion for a Dart Mustang, but it's £18/$40AUS & you'd need two of course.

jcf

As the Do 335 already has a cylindrical nose cross-section, why bother with buying a conversion set?
The basic shapes to create a turbo-prop nose are already in place. The annular radiator is a great basis
for an intake or you could replace it with a smaller diameter cylinder or truncated cone.

Jon

Just call me Ray

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 11, 2009, 06:21:13 PM

I don't mean to go off-topic, but...does that seriously say 15 quid on the package?
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

kitnut617

Yes it does, so what do you think resin, white metal and decals go for these days ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 12, 2009, 10:15:56 AM
As the Do 335 already has a cylindrical nose cross-section, why bother with buying a conversion set?
The basic shapes to create a turbo-prop nose are already in place. The annular radiator is a great basis
for an intake or you could replace it with a smaller diameter cylinder or truncated cone.

Jon

I've wondered about that Jon, simply remove the cowling & re-shape it slightly, or use a bit of styrene tubing faired in with some Milliput.

rallymodeller

Quote from: Mossie on February 12, 2009, 01:44:50 AM
Thanks Robert, but Jeremy's got the jump on me, so I'll probably give it a miss now!

Aw hell, Mossie; go ahead. With the number of projects I have on the go and the rate at which I finish them, I pretty much guarantee you'd finish before me. I may still go another direction with this anyway.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

jcf

Simon,
here is a drawing that may help in your turbo-prop explorations.
You can see the spaces you have to work with and the CG considerations become clear.
For an aft mounted turbo-prop, of the Dart or Tyne layout, my preference would be to mount
the engine in approximately the same location as the aft DB 603. The turbo-prop intake and
propeller drivewould be pointing aft and the exhaust forward, the exhaust would be split to
duct out the side or I suppose it could go out on top of the aircraft. The radiator duct, with
an enlarged mouth, would form the basis of the intake trunking.

Jon

GTX

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 12, 2009, 10:15:56 AM

Jon

Sorry - I wasn't actually after one for a Do-335 conversion but rather other platforms.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

Quote from: GTX on February 12, 2009, 09:48:38 PM
Sorry - I wasn't actually after one for a Do-335 conversion but rather other platforms.

Regards,

Greg

??? 'Twasn't directed at you Greg, or anyone really, I was just wondering aloud.
Seems many times conversion kits or noses from other aircraft are used when all
that's needed is reshaping, with bits of plasticard or chopped up model parts, and
then some bogging and sanding.

Jon

jcf