Airships - LTA (Lighter Than Air)

Started by jcf, January 21, 2008, 10:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Quote from: tinlail on June 20, 2008, 01:56:52 PM
I believe that design is based on Lockheed's P-791 blimp. Which as I understand it, uses fans in the red part to generate positive or negative lift, which might help it deal with turbulence.

It's actually an Advanced Technologies Group SkyCat20 - here's another pic:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

I thought they were for the air cushion landing system & only able to operate in ground effect?  There's been an irritatingly small amount of info on the P-791 despite having first flown over two years ago! :banghead:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

tinlail

It looks like the P-791 and the SkyCat are basically the same technology, however I was confused about the hover system which is only used to hold down the vehicle when it is on the ground, and not to generate lift.

KJ_Lesnick

Is it possible to design an airship (perhaps widened and flattened a bit) with jet-engines so as to allow a Mach 0.80 or Mach 0.90 speed? 

KJ Lesnick
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Ed S

I suspect that the increased strength and rigidity needed for the gasbag to survive at such speeds would add so much weight as to negate any advantage of using a LTA airship.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

KJ_Lesnick

Good point.  However I have heard of some extremely strong composites including nanofibers which seem like they could be of benefit
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Hobbes

Airliners are designed for those speeds, and you can assume that they use the lightest construction that can withstand the weight and drag. The best materials available today may give a 2x increase in strength over the stuff commonly used in airliners, but that should give an initial estimate...

jcf

What would be the point?

The theoretical advantage of the airship is its bulk carrying ability and range/loiter capability, speed is way down the list.
The redesign necessary to turn a gasbag into a high-speed .80M aerial vehicle would end up negating its primary advantages.

Even with the best of current technology a speed of 300mph would be pushing the envelope. ;)

I love airships, but realistically speaking they are a dead end technology outside of a few very specialized tasks.
However, that doesn't mean we can't have fun with them in Whif-world.

Jon

Just call me Ray

Well I suppose you could add rockets to it or so, but that apparently damages the airship.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on February 23, 2010, 11:55:27 AMGot the Hindenburg gift set a couple of years ago. When I first played Crimson Skies I had these thoughts about a forced perspective dio of the Hindenburg with the WizKids (or sumthin') Crimson skies miniatures.  :rolleyes:

Something else you can do with two Hindenburgs:  :wacko: Perry Rhodan-inspired battleship Aglazar

More pics (including work in progress) can be found >>HERE<<. Be sure to click "Weiter" at the bottom for the next page.

Interesting project and the fibre-optic lighting is very impressive.

For anyone that is interested in lighter than air vehicles of the rigid and non-rigid types there is a forum dedicated to this subject called Airship Modeler that is run by a fellow named Charles Adams.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Jeffry,

Very interesting, thanks for that link.  ;D

Weaver,

That's the original Frog kit of the R-100, ex-Novo and now done by Maquette. It's not a bad kit, and includes the Montreal Tower as well. It has an 'L' shaped wire rod that enables you to mount the model onto the mast and it looks pretty good too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit