F-15 Eagle

Started by anthonyp, October 06, 2007, 07:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

If they have money to spend on new aircraft, they'll buy Raptors. Plus they're due to get well over a thousand F-35s in the near future, which seems to be the aircraft this is designed to compete against.

Maybe the Eagles will be upgraded with these new features, though? If they can be fitted to any -E model, then it might get taken up to some extent.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

B777LR

Quote from: gunfighter on March 21, 2009, 02:11:10 PM
Can these pods be used by a standard F 15C? The americans won´t have money enough to retire the F15s and buy F22s on a 1 to 1 basis. So, they will have to plan ways of making the eagle more competitive, until technology becomes cheaper and the designers can offer Raptor-like performance at an affordable cost. Maybe the solution is new-build eagles with these kind of devices, new engines, AESAs, etc.

Yes, they should fit on any F-15, though the -Cs are so tired, i think they would only convert the -Es.

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 21, 2009, 02:33:52 PM
If they have money to spend on new aircraft, they'll buy Raptors. Plus they're due to get well over a thousand F-35s in the near future, which seems to be the aircraft this is designed to compete against.

According to The Economist, The F-22 and JSF may be in for SERIOUS trouble due to Obama taking over from Bush. The risk of cancellation of the JSF is a possilbility.

pyro-manic

Seriously? Bloody hell - LockMart are going to be slightly peeved at that! I suppose that paves the way for this, Superbug, Typhoon etc internationally, but what are the US going to replace all their F-16s, Bugs etc. with if that happens? There's nothing else even close to a production machine that could fill the gap....
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

GTX

QuoteThe risk of cancellation of the JSF is a possilbility.

Won't happen!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

B777LR

Quote from: GTX on March 21, 2009, 07:57:44 PM

Won't happen!

Regards,

Greg

Somehow, i do not think so myself either, but im sure the total amount of JSFs to be ordered will drop by at least 50%.

GTX

Quote from: B787 on March 21, 2009, 11:26:42 PM
Quote from: GTX on March 21, 2009, 07:57:44 PM

Won't happen!

Regards,

Greg

Somehow, i do not think so myself either, but im sure the total amount of JSFs to be ordered will drop by at least 50%.

Actually, I expect it to rise - the numbers reported so far (~3000) don't include any FMS purchases (these include Israel, Singapore, Japan, Belgium, South Korea, Greece etc all of which are being included in internal target assessments).  In addition, this is looking to be a 20+ year production run so I would expect a fair deal of future partner nation (mainly US) buys as well.

On the other hand, I don't actually expect any real interest from the existing F-15 operators for this mod.

Regards,

Greg

dy031101

As I am working on a 3D mental note of the powerplant scheme of Lippisch P.13b scaled up to pair with the forward fuselage of a F-15, I checked back out the Wikipedia entry of ramjets (Lippisch P.13b is a ramjet aircraft).

It mentioned that a supersonic ramjet uses one or more shock devices to slow down the airflow to a subsonic velocity at the exit of the intake.  Does the intake design of the F-15 contain features that can be used in such a fashion?  Or should I really be looking elsewhere for inspirations?

Thanks in advance.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Hobbes

All supersonic jets have inlets designed to slow the air to subsonic speeds. Jet engines don't work with supersonic air.

Sauragnmon

The F-15 is probably one of those in the US inventory best equipped for handling supersonic airflow, as its intakes have variable-geometry flaps on the inside that adjust as the speed increases to provide a constant shock effect to slow the intake air down to supersonic speeds.  By comparison, the F-16 lacks the complex shock systems, having a fixed shock generation system, which is what bottlenecks it at the higher mach numbers.  What I'm personally curious about is that I would believe the design of a DSI is optimized so that the hump's geometry is designed to optimize at different areas at different speeds, I'm wondering whether a DSI on the -16 allowed it to go faster, or if the F-35 will suffer the same speed bottleneck because of engine airflow choking.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

kitnut617

My friend James (jamatari) who has the Exfix Forum went to the Welsh hills a couple of days ago to see what was using the 'Mach Loop' (I think that's what it's called) and saw these which he promptly photographed:

http://thekitforum.16.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=595
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 01, 2009, 06:43:42 AM
....... to see what was using the 'Mach Loop' (I think that's what it's called)

It certainly is, a great place to see fast jets right alongside you, albeit going like the clappers at all sorts of funny angles!

The name doesn't come from Mach 1 or anything like that, it's because the flight path, which really is a big loop, is just north of Machalynyth in central Wales. Somewhere there's a web site that's stuffed full of pics taken there, but can I find it? No.....  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

I'm currently cobbling together a back story for a couple of projects I have concerning the JASDF in the not too distant future ( a couple of years only, 2015 or so...), involving upgraded F-2s and F-15Js and EJs (yeah, Japanese Mudhens! :wacko: ). Oh, the JMSDF will play a significant part as well with a revamped Yamato, a new carrier with Rafales and AV-8B+s for the LHDs.

I figured they'd need a bit more than a new paint job, so I thought about adding a new engine - the Pratt & Whitney F119 of the F-22. I hope that will fit the F-15 (and the F-2!  :wacko:). Here's a top view of the F-15J Kai+. There's an F-15J Kai with IRST already, so the plus is for that extra bit of power. :lol:

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

GTX

Interesting - can't wait to see more.

Regards,

Greg

Shasper

If the F119s wont fit then it shouldnt be too hard to fit a pair of unrated F110s fitted with LOAN nozzles from the JSF. . .

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers, guys!  :cheers:

Yeah, I was thinking about that LOAN nozzle as well, but I thought I'd go a bit farther.  :rolleyes: :wacko: Are the LOAN nozzles thrust-vectoring? :huh:
I hope the F119s fit, but I'm not sure. Some test-fitting with 1/72 kits will be necessary.

Gary F's fantastic F-2 PROFILES ( :bow:) have F-2s with DSI inlets and LOAN nozzles. Those inspired me to take aboard upgraded F-2s. Maybe the DSI inlet and the exhausts of the F-22? :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?