F-15 Eagle

Started by anthonyp, October 06, 2007, 07:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

Moritz,

The F-16 MATV variant had a Thrust Vectored nozzle on its F-110, and if I recall it was all right up on the upper section, so I don't see why you couldn't give it the notched petals of a LOAN nozzle.  I plan on doing that with my Super Viper concept.  As to the Super Deuce, I dunno what I'd do with one, but a DSI is a good start, I plan on that for my Super Viper, as I think they just look pretty damn sweet.

The only plans I have immediately for an F-15 are to give it Flanker wings (I'm looking at an Su-34's wings) and modify the vertical tails, and fit the sucker with some AL-31's for sheer kicks and giggles.  The latest plan might have me doing it with a 15E, which should be interesting.  I plan on calling it my Black Eagle project, and I figure the bigger wings might be somewhat interesting, not to mention the altered profile of the aircraft.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Shasper

the LOAN nozzle provides all axis TV ;)

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

ElectrikBlue

Quote from: Shasper on April 07, 2009, 12:23:55 PM
the LOAN nozzle provides all axis TV ;)

Shas 8)

Agreed!  :thumbsup:

EB

ChernayaAkula

Rafa's great F-15M made me think about using the F-15 ACTIVE set-up for the F-15J Kai+ I'm planning. But what about the gun? With the big canards, the gun has to go. This is how it's installed at the moment:

Now, would it be possible to reduce the size oif the ammo drun and move the gun to a streamlined fairing under the belly? Along the lines of what the F-4E/F use? The fighter Eagles have a pretty large ammo drum with 940 rounds of ammunition. Other fighters have to do with a lot less. F-14 has 675 rounds, the F-16 has 545, the F/A-18 has 578. So, reducing the size of the ammo drum could make space for installing the six-shooter below the drum, with only a small portion protruding from the belly in a streamlined fairing.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

tinlail

Do you have to move the drum? why not turn it upside down and put the gun in a belly fairing beneath it?

Shasper

CA,

I've ran into that same problem when considering what to do with the M61 for the F-15F Cheetah of Dale Brown fame. To expand on what comrad Tinlail has mention, what I thought of is moving the gun assembly into a ventral fairing just aft of the nose gear door & situated halfway between the nose gear & the right side intake. Internally the drum feed would be moved to the bottom but everything else would remain unchanged. I havent done any mock ups but if my mental measuring is in the ballpark both the centerline & the intake hardpoints would not be obstructed.

Now if the M61 is just too big, you could always substitute the M197 3 barrel 20mm cannon found on the AH-1W or one of the newer single barrel cannons like the 30mm Hughes found on the Apache or the 25mm bushmaster.

Shas 8)
- Bud S.

Weaver

Quote from: Shasper on April 23, 2009, 11:55:05 PM
CA,

I've ran into that same problem when considering what to do with the M61 for the F-15F Cheetah of Dale Brown fame. To expand on what comrad Tinlail has mention, what I thought of is moving the gun assembly into a ventral fairing just aft of the nose gear door & situated halfway between the nose gear & the right side intake. Internally the drum feed would be moved to the bottom but everything else would remain unchanged. I havent done any mock ups but if my mental measuring is in the ballpark both the centerline & the intake hardpoints would not be obstructed.

Now if the M61 is just too big, you could always substitute the M197 3 barrel 20mm cannon found on the AH-1W or one of the newer single barrel cannons like the 30mm Hughes found on the Apache or the 25mm bushmaster.

Shas 8)

AFAIK, the M-197 has pretty much the same volume as the M-61: it's basically a Vulcan with every other barrel removed, for applications where light weight is more important than RoF. If you want a low-profile, high-RoF gun for a slim, semi-external mounting, then why not go for the GE-225 twin-fixed-barrel revolver gun, which could be mounted in much the same way as Russian GSh-23s? It could go on the centreline with the pylon "overhanging" it in the same way thay MiG-21/23 ones do. It could also have a space-efficent rectangular ammo box instead of the drum, which occupies a slice of prime real-estate in the middle of the aircraft and uses it inefficiently (round peg in a square hole).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rafael

Thanks for your comments, Moritz!!! :thumbsup:

I wondered about that with the F-15M, and simply moved the gun to a fairing on top of the fuselage very much where the gun would be on a regular Eagle. But I like the solution Shasper gives. It reminds me of a Gripen's gun installation. Also, I imagine that the nose could be modified to accept a gun fairing á la F-4 Phantom, or even enlarged to accept a F/A-18 like installation

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

pyro-manic

What about upgrading to a Mauser BK-27? You get a lower rate of fire, but a much harder-hitting projectile. It's pretty slim as well, so could be shoe-horned in quite easily. IIRC a BK-27 variant was originally looked at for JSF...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

GTX

Maybe put the gun in a FAST pack?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

I thought about keeping the Vulcan for reasons of supply logistics. But then again, the other one still using the six-shooter in my story is the F-2, while JMSDF's Rafales and Harriers will both be using "GIAT 30" 30mm cannons.  :wacko: The Harrier will use one in a pod and the ammo in another pod, as on the GAU-12 of the AV-8B in USMC service. Maybe change all guns to GIATs?

Quote from: Rafael on April 24, 2009, 11:26:11 AM
<...> But I like the solution Shasper gives. It reminds me of a Gripen's gun installation. <...>

Sounds good!  :thumbsup: I was about to suggest an installation like on the Su-24 Fencer, which also looks similar to the Gripen's.  :lol:

Quote from: GTX on April 24, 2009, 02:05:09 PM
Maybe put the gin in a FAST pack? <...>

Good idea, but wouldn't the Fast packs considerably degrade dog-fighting performance?  :unsure: Just when the gun is needed.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Shasper

Having the FASTpacks (aka CFTs) does not degrade the agility of the Eagle (or the F-16) because the tank is "one" with the a/c aerodynamically speaking . . . since they're (for all purposes) apart of the airframe instead of just another pod or store hangin off a pylon there's really no adverse drag or any other negative effects on the airplane except the extra weight of the fuel you're touting around.

HTH, its after 0100 local & I think my marbles are at the local pub

Shas 8)
- Bud S.

Spey_Phantom

i found something here i just have to show you guys  :o

as you know there has been a lot of concept art regarding the indian navy's indigenous aircraft carrier,
well i had a close look at the aircraft station on it in the promo images, and they dont look like MIg-29K's to me  :huh:

i mean, how plausible is this, maybe the US is developing a STOBAR version of the F-15SE, do i hear F-15SKI  :lol:
seriously, take look  :thumbsup:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

GTX

Quote from: Nils on May 03, 2009, 06:55:45 AM

well i had a close look at the aircraft station on it in the promo images, and they dont look like MIg-29K's to me  :huh:

Nice spot - definitely some artistic license (or wishful thinking) used there.  A definite F-15.

Indian F-15Es would be possible, though unlikely.  Adapting for STOBAR - extremely unlikely in real world, in whiff though...

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

Maybe an F-15E ACTIVE?  :wacko: IIRC, part of the ACTIVE programme was to start and land on rather short runways.
Cheers,
Moritz