F-15 Eagle

Started by anthonyp, October 06, 2007, 07:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

I agree with Evan on the design - the Eagle's yes got the nice tight-together engines, but if we're going for broke on a super eagle, AVEN/LOAN is a better option, and bolted to a nice beefy pair of the heavy thrust 110/100's in the bays.  DSI, you're not going to fit in place, just because of the massive design of the intakes.  You'd have to make MASSIVE changes in the design and layout of the aircraft in that section just to find the means to fit DSI's into the Eagle's airframe.  An enlarged spine might be an idea, and if you curve the intakes maybe, you could potentially do something to reduce its radar signature on the intakes somehow.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

anthonyp

HA!!!  I knew my bugging Evan would bring him back from beyond!  Welcome back!  Now, where's those F-15M's you've been promising?

;D
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

elmayerle

Quote from: anthonyp on September 08, 2009, 04:50:04 PM
HA!!!  I knew my bugging Evan would bring him back from beyond!  Welcome back!  Now, where's those F-15M's you've been promising?

;D

Slowly in work.  Got a number of raw material kits to start from and I'm trying to match everything up.  Mind you, I've got more raw material kits back home, this is just what I've got in Connecticut.  If you decide to clone those AIM-152's I'll take a set.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

elmayerle

Stepping back a bit and looking at literary whiffs, there are the Polish F-15s from Larry Bond's Cauldron which would have great potential, esp. since they were modified for air-to-ground as well as air-to-air and in some cases dropped Soviet bombs which had the same lug spacing as NATO bombs.  About the only mods I'd do would be small blade antennas, one each, on the upper spine and under the nose for a radio fit the Polish specifically wanted (their F-16s have such a fit, too - I know, I did the installation drawing for some of the boxes involved).

KJ_Lesnick

How much more would the F-15A had weighed if it had the Air-to-Ground capacity had been retained and the radar had retained the Air to Ground modes?

KJ Lesnick
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

elmayerle

Honestly, I don't know for certain though I do believe they did air-to-ground testing with some of the prototypes.  Anything I said would be strictly informed conjecture.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: nev on August 30, 2009, 01:08:02 AMI do have a picture somewhere of an F-15 in the 70s carrying French (!) roundels during a European sales tour.

That could be interesting if you could scrape together enough Super R530 missiles for one.  It would require at least two Mirage 2000 donor kits to pull off. 

F-15 Eagle at Wikipedia
Hughes (now Raytheon) APG-63 and APG-70 RADAR at Wikipedia
Google search results for "F-15 Eagle"
Google search results for "APG-63"
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

elmayerle

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on September 09, 2009, 09:35:35 PM
Quote from: nev on August 30, 2009, 01:08:02 AMI do have a picture somewhere of an F-15 in the 70s carrying French (!) roundels during a European sales tour.

That could be interesting if you could scrape together enough Super R530 missiles for one.  It would require at least two Mirage 2000 donor kits to pull off.  

The aircraft so painted was the TF2 prototype, 71-291, which has seen so many paint jobs over the years.  THE first Aerofax Datagraph to cover the F-15A/B/C/D/E has both a black and white and a color pic of this scheme.  If someone wihses to do this, I've got a couple Mirage 2000 kits being used for "bits" for various other projects and I could contribute the missles.  On the other hand, I will have a lot of leftover bits from my F-15M efforts and that does seem a reasonable use of some of them.  Any ideas on appropriate serials and such?

Mossie

Quote from: elmayerle on September 09, 2009, 02:27:17 PM
Stepping back a bit and looking at literary whiffs, there are the Polish F-15s from Larry Bond's Cauldron which would have great potential, esp. since they were modified for air-to-ground as well as air-to-air and in some cases dropped Soviet bombs which had the same lug spacing as NATO bombs.  About the only mods I'd do would be small blade antennas, one each, on the upper spine and under the nose for a radio fit the Polish specifically wanted (their F-16s have such a fit, too - I know, I did the installation drawing for some of the boxes involved).

It was mentioned very breifly earlier in this thread, but there was the F-15F Cheetah from Dale Brown's Day of the Cheetah.  It was basically an inservice F-15 S/MTD, I can't remember ordanance being anything out of the ordinary, but you could give it the Dale Brown treatment.  Didn't somebody release a kit of the S/MTD or ACTIVE some time back?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Shasper

Dunno about the S/MTD kit (Hasegawa???), but for chase work out at Dreamland the Cheetah flew with a camerapod mounted either on the dorsal or ventral centerline, at another point it was fitted with 12 laser-guided missile training rounds, and then it was fitted with a bunch of mud moving stuff (Durandal?) later on in the book when the US went to take out the Russian airfield in Nicaragua.

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Mossie

Cheers Shas, I'll have to pick up the book again, I first read it about fifteen years ago.  It was the first Dale Brown book I've read, & the only one I've rated, although his stuff makes excellent whiff fodder.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Talos

If I remember correctly, it wasn't a straight S/MTD in the book, but actually an evolved F-15E Strike Eagle (meaning CFTs and the enlarged horizontal tail). I think that F-15F would make an awesome model if there was an S/MTD model kit (or someone crazy-awesome enough to scratch-build those components). As far as the camera pod, the way the book described it always seemed to imply a very heavy and draggy dorsal location, which would make visual tracking of Dreamstar during chase flights easily, I suppose, since they aren't trying to line up the camera while the plane is below the horizon for the pilots.

ChernayaAkula

Just found this:

:o How cool is that? :bow: Insanely high amounts of awesome detected!

EDIT: The screen shots at the upper left-hand corner of the pic. Does anybody know which film they're from?
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

Yeah that is just a big chunk of amazing!!  :wub: Great find! 1/32 scale too!! Any Idea what magazine that is?
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Sauragnmon

That is pretty wicked... Canted tails are cool, would have been more wicked if they'd gone for broke and butterflied it with the horizontals.  Might have given some extra weight benefits compared to the mechanical weight for those canards.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.