F-15 Eagle

Started by anthonyp, October 06, 2007, 07:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

QuoteNot when those AMRAAMs belong to the Charlie model or better.  :banghead:

I stand corrected  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

dy031101

Although the timing doesn't fit (F-15 went into service in 1976), what else should I do to the airframe if a F-15 packing three F404 turbofans is to be attempted?

One thing I can immediately think of is that three F404s might consume more fuel than two F100s...... permanent FAST pack attachment?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

ysi_maniac

Note: fuselage has been widened.
Will die without understanding this world.

Logan Hartke

Mind doing that again but with the standard Eagle tail?

Cheers,

Logan

ysi_maniac

Logan Hartke

Yeah, very nice.  I don't think it looks quite as good in profile, but I think it would be far better-looking in 3D with the twin tail than the single.  Thanks!

Cheers,

Logan

kerick

Very nice drawings. I'll add this to my to do list. (Its a long list) Something very Sukoi about it.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Twin F-111 fins might look even better.

But it'd probably be a PIG to turn!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

At least it would have the engines the F-111 should have been born with. TF 33s sucked no matter what aircraft they powered. Also would have gotten rid of the intake problems.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

rickshaw

Quote from: kerick on August 06, 2012, 04:29:47 PM
At least it would have the engines the F-111 should have been born with. TF 33s sucked no matter what aircraft they powered. Also would have gotten rid of the intake problems.

F-15 intakes wouldn't have worked as well as the final F-111 ones down low and fast.  The chief problem would be inlet lip temperature F-15 ramp intakes were designed for medium-high altitudes.  This is why the F-111 was always so difficult to catch for interceptors.   It could go faster down low than they could.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

ysi_maniac

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 06, 2012, 04:25:08 PM
Twin F-111 fins might look even better.

Canted à la F-18. :thumbsup:

Sauragnmon

One would wonder how the dynamics of a side-by-side seated Air Superiority fighter might play out though... the communication aspects between the two seats would be improved, for a note.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

kerick

The intake problems I was thinking of involved the design producing flow problems. Finally solved with the Triple Plow III. The F-111 was always the fastest thing around down low. Only thing close was the F-105 and the Buccaneer as I recall.
Tophe the Wise

nighthunter

My Take on a Super Eagle:

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Diamondback

How 'bout a less exotic Eagle with a pair of F135's shoved up its backside? Or better yet THESE beauties?

http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/sabre_demoprog.html

I mean, either way should post some impressive gains... IIRC I had seen something about a few of the YF135s used on the X-32 prototypes getting to 50K# thrust, and if my math on thrust/weight ratio is correct and it has a linear proportion on MTOW, two of those could let a Mudhen gross heavier than a WWII B-29.

And for an ACTIVE-derived canard, could you mount the actuators in a "hunchback" on top with a driveshaft running above the Vulcan barrel and geared to a stub-axle on the canard? NASA seems to claim on their factsheet that the stock IFR receptacle was still viable to port...