F-15 Eagle

Started by anthonyp, October 06, 2007, 07:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: rickshaw on August 06, 2012, 05:07:20 PMF-15 intakes wouldn't have worked as well as the final F-111 ones down low and fast.  The chief problem would be inlet lip temperature F-15 ramp intakes were designed for medium-high altitudes.  This is why the F-111 was always so difficult to catch for interceptors.   It could go faster down low than they could.
That doesn't make much sense -- how hot could the intake get on the F-15 flying at Mach 1.2 in the weeds?  The F-15 could fly as fast as a MiG-25 up high with the V-max switch
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

rickshaw

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on October 15, 2012, 04:16:49 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on August 06, 2012, 05:07:20 PMF-15 intakes wouldn't have worked as well as the final F-111 ones down low and fast.  The chief problem would be inlet lip temperature F-15 ramp intakes were designed for medium-high altitudes.  This is why the F-111 was always so difficult to catch for interceptors.   It could go faster down low than they could.
That doesn't make much sense -- how hot could the intake get on the F-15 flying at Mach 1.2 in the weeds?  The F-15 could fly as fast as a MiG-25 up high with the V-max switch

You must remember, high altitude = lower density air.   One of the things which caused so much trouble for the F-111 was getting the intakes right to allow it to fly sustained high speeds at low altitude.  It wasn't really until they got to the F-111E with its "triple plow" intakes that they got it right.   The F-15 was always designed to be an fighter at medium-high altitude so it didn't need intakes which could "cleave the air" in quite the way the F-111 could.  It's intakes were designed to "gulp" low density air, whereas the F-111's were designed to "sip" high density air.   These are the closest analogies I can provide.   I've read numerous accounts of F-111s at Red Flag exercises posing real difficulties for teen series fighters.   When the USAF retired it's F-111s, they used to invite RAAF ones simply because they no longer had anything which could do those ultra-level flight profiles.

BTW, Buccaneers were nearly as difficult and they only flew subsonically.  F-16s found them a real handful apparently.

Of course, with real "look-down-shoot-down" facilities, it should be possible to make the missile do the work for you.  ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitnut617

A properly designed intake like the F-15's could easily be made to fly at sea level, and you only have to look at the RAF's own Tornados to see that they do work.  Tornados have ramp style intakes and by all accounts the Tornado flies very well at low level --- and was designed right from the get-go to do that !

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Spey_Phantom

BUMP

i found this rather interesting picture.
i remember some time ago, seeing pictures of Old Israeli F-15A/B/C/D's with conformal fuel tanks.
a bit of research indicated that these Israeli built CFT were meant to increase the range of the IDF/AF's older eagles aswell as adding an improved secondary air-to-ground capability, similar to that of the F-15I.
at first i thought the system would take away the Eagle's Sparrow pylons, but now i was proved wrong (hard to find pictures of F-15C's with CFT's and armament.)

now i recently came across pictures of USAF aircraft sporting these new CFT's.
are these going to be standard on all new/old air defence configured eagles?

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Gondor

Quote from: Nils on May 26, 2013, 12:59:02 PM

now i recently came across pictures of USAF aircraft sporting these new CFT's.
are these going to be standard on all new/old air defence configured eagles?

The F-15 C/D versions have always been able to carry the CFT's, in fact aircraft based as Reykjavik carried them regularly, they were also designed from the start to be able to carry ordinance and were not specifically Israeli built to do so. They may be built by the Israelis as part of an industrial offset though.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

ChernayaAkula

Those pics are at least 25 years old! And even then carrying ground-pounding stuff was a very rare occurrence. The only US fighter Eagles that train for air-to-ground today are the Louisiana ANG Eagles. And they only train using their Vulcan against ground targets (against possible drug runners, I guess). ISTR there was some talk of fitting them with Sniper pods for improved targeting.
The CFTs (called FAST packs on fighter Eagles) seen on fighter Eagles are only able to carry AAMs (although the Israelis apparently also fit ECM pods there). They only increase air-to-ground capabilities insofar as they free up the other pylons usually reserved for tanks.
The US fighter Eagles rarely carry them because, according to an F-15 pilot, "(both) pilots and maintainers hated them" and a centre-line drop tank is/was usually sufficient and mush easier to deal with. As Gondor said, the only ones to routinely employ the CFTs were the F-15s in Iceland.
The CFTs seen on Strike Eagles are (internally) very different beasts, stressed for much higher loads (as is the F-15E itself) and with more pylons.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

ysi_maniac

F-15E with Phantom wings

Will die without understanding this world.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Looks positively EVIL from head on!  :wacko:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ysi_maniac

ysi_maniac

MDD Goshawk II
IMO maybe downgraded in performance, but upgraded in coolness!!!

McColm

Was there ever an F-15 with F-22 wings or was that an urban myth?

tahsin

Development Project, I think for the UAE competition that was won by the F-16E/F Block 60. Angled for Stealth, not taken from the Lockheed.

Jesse220

Has anyone done the delta winged F-15?

leptiprince

Projet de what if  for me...