F-15 Eagle

Started by anthonyp, October 06, 2007, 07:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: anthonyp on March 20, 2008, 07:16:44 PM

As for F-15E's flying sans fast packs, they do, but only on builder's trials from Boeing.  I've got a pic somewhere in my hard drive of one of South Korea's Slam Eagles flitting about buck nekkid (no LANTIRN pods either)!  I've never heard of them flying around without them operationally.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the stores pylons built intrigal into the fast pack framework?  If you took the fast pack off it wouldn't be an F-15E, at least it wouldn't be able to do what an F-15E does.

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2002/photorelease/q2/c35-1881-3.jpg
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://lh3.google.com/_i6gFBtsQlqA/RuPHP2DhKjI/AAAAAAAAFgM/y1E7_tmjsDQ/s800/P1040146.jpg&imgrefurl=http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/H08UTy22rwsnptQHqgWcaw&h=600&w=800&sz=61&hl=en&start=17&tbnid=snE1ynaX7TodBM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3DF-15E%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Shasper

I believe you're correct Kitnut.

Re: IRIAF F-15s - The Shah was eyeballin the F-18L (YF-17) as a F-4 replacement, with the F-16 replacing the F-5s. Had the Revolution occured later the IIAF would have been flying F-14Bs with the Flying Boom AAR port installed. Which version of the F-14B (PW or GE) is still a mystery.

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

PolluxDeltaSeven

Hey, thanks for the info about the F-14B, I didn't know it was this variant that was planned to be the Iranian second batch.
Is their any picture or drawing of this F-14B with Flying Boom receptacle?

And yes, your right for the F-18L, I totally forgot it (but I supposed that we have to delay the Islamic Revolution for more than a few years to see it! The F-16 were already purchased, and the F-14s could be just a new batch of a already exported plane, while the F-18L even didn't exist in this dedicate variant)
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

gunfighter

The Sha had plenty of money to fund whatever he liked, remember the Kidd-class destroyers. I he wanted F18L, why not. The A-10 is a plane I assume he should order once the war against iraq starts, and more sea cobras as well. Apaches?  :blink:

Shasper

The Flying Boom recepticle was already in the works by Grumman when the Fall came, unfortunatly I dont have anything else on it except that it would have been placed on the portside wing glove over the intake. Had the Shah stayed in power a little bit longer I *assume* that the IIAF would get B model F-14s as well as the existing As upgraded as such, since the Shah loved his 'Cats. . .

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

rallymodeller

Here's a tasty teaser from the Japanese anime "Patlabor 2", the F-15 Improved "Eagle Plus":

2-D vectoring nozzles, cruciform tail, conformal weapons...

Not F-15 related, but from the same anime:

F-16kai. Check out the X-31-style exhaust paddles!
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Archibald

Quote from: PolluxDeltaSeven on March 23, 2008, 04:49:57 PM
QuoteHere's an idea - what if during the Iran-Iraq war, the USA had decided to support Iraq a little more physically (i.e actually supply significant hardware).  To counter the Iranian F-14s, the Iraqis might have been supplied F-15s.
Actually France did try to sell them some Mirage 4000, but Iraq had definitively no more money for western weapons in mid-80's. I'm even not sure that they totaly paid their Mirage F1 and Mig-29.

They didn't. France had to mothball some F1EQ-7 around 1989, a pity the AdA couldn't buy them...
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

anthonyp

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 24, 2008, 01:35:38 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the stores pylons built intrigal into the fast pack framework?  If you took the fast pack off it wouldn't be an F-15E, at least it wouldn't be able to do what an F-15E does.

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2002/photorelease/q2/c35-1881-3.jpg
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://lh3.google.com/_i6gFBtsQlqA/RuPHP2DhKjI/AAAAAAAAFgM/y1E7_tmjsDQ/s800/P1040146.jpg&imgrefurl=http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/H08UTy22rwsnptQHqgWcaw&h=600&w=800&sz=61&hl=en&start=17&tbnid=snE1ynaX7TodBM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3DF-15E%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG
The stores pylons yes, but then any F-15 can use the FAST Packs with weapons stations on them.  What differentiates the Strike Eagle are the sensor pylons under the fuselage.  They can still fly around without FAST packs, but with the LANTIRN and LITENING, just they would be shorter ranged and with smaller payloads.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

KJ_Lesnick

I got a question regarding the F-15's wing-area...

How exactly was it measured?  From what I remember, even some area over the top of the fuselage was counted.  My question is exactly how much is counted? I assume the LERX's are counted, and any lifting surfaces on the plane except the tailplanes count, and the wing is counted as if it went straight over the top of the plane.  My question is, are the "bumps" counted? -- When I say bumps, I mean the areas where the engines are mounted... are they partially counted (any area the wing would cover if it went right over the top of the plane) or completely counted in the wing area count? 

KJ Lesnick
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

elmayerle

Wing area is generally figured as average chord times wing span.  That generally includes the portion of the wing going through the fuselage since aero theory says that does help produce lift (let's *not* get into the math here, been a while since I dove into it).  I suspect LERX are figured in when determining the average chord.  Tail surfaces aren't counted though canards are (long story involving aircraft stability and control, there - in brief, in producing lift, the wings also produce a nose-down pitching moment that has to be countered by canards, horizontal tails, or some combination thereof - canards lift the nose while horizontal tails push down the tail, hence horizontal tails can't be used, normally, as lift producing surfaces).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

KJ_Lesnick

Okay, so the wing-area should be counted as if the trailing-edge went straight across the plane (and the leading-edge simply came to a point or until it reached like the neck of the plane?), with the LERX factored in (and I would assume the whole wing-body fairing including the shelf/chined-area behind the wings to the booms which mount the tail-surfaces*, and the aerodynamic lifting area between the booms and the engine nozzles)?

Also, does the top part of the first-inlet ramp (which is a movable-lid like surface that is angled down at low speeds, and angled slightly up at supersonic speeds) count at low to intermediate speed as a lifting area (As it does produce camber)?

*I don't mean the horizontal and vertical stabilizer area, just the booms

KJ Lesnick

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

elmayerle

Note, I said "average chord" - that essentially reduces the wing area down to a rectangle for calculation purposes.  Average chord just that, the arithmatical average of the various wing chords (now, calculating the value can be a spot difficult).  basically, though, it's the area of the wings, and LERX, plus the rectangular area between the wings in plan view.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: elmayerle on August 18, 2008, 08:24:47 PM
Note, I said "average chord" - that essentially reduces the wing area down to a rectangle for calculation purposes.  Average chord just that, the arithmatical average of the various wing chords (now, calculating the value can be a spot difficult).  basically, though, it's the area of the wings, and LERX, plus the rectangular area between the wings in plan view.

Okay, rectangular area between the wings, the wing and LERX's.

KJ Lesnick
BTW:  Just to be absolutely clear (not to sound dense or thick-headed or anything) -- the F-15's LERXs actually form the front of the wing-body fairings, which extend aft to the booms, which have a lifting service between it and the engines... I would assume that would count as part of the LERX?

kitnut617

this is very basic KJ, but you do it like this.  The more diagonal lines you have, the more rectangles you have to make to be fairly accurate with the calculation
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

KJ_Lesnick

This question pertains to the F-15N, according to what I read (on the F-14 thread by elmayerle) the design was to use the APG-64 instead of the AWG-9. 

My question is, why the different radars?  Was it due to it being able to fit within the confines of the F-15's radome?  Or was it simply a more stripped down, cheaper radar? 

KJ Lesnick