F-15 Eagle

Started by anthonyp, October 06, 2007, 07:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyrmshadow

This is really sexy but..... what's the weapon's payload? doesn't look like a lot can be carried internaly.
Likes to re-invent the wheel
http://1wyrmshadow1.deviantart.com/

GTX

The Media Briefing (see here) provides much more info - well worth a look.

Be interesting to see exactly who it is offered to and if it comes as a upgrade option for earlier operators.

regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Hobbes

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 17, 2009, 12:03:40 PM

Is this a "we need a stealthy product, quick!!!" type development, I wonder?

Or a "the production line is about to close, let's see if we can wring a few more dollars out of it" type development...

jcf

Quote from: GTX on March 18, 2009, 01:08:46 AM

Be interesting to see exactly who it is offered to and if it comes as a upgrade option for earlier operators.

regards,

Greg

From the Flight article:
"Boeing plans to offer the F-15SE to Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Israel and Saudi Arabia, with all being current F-15 customers.

The F-15's single-largest customer – the US Air Force – is not officially a sales target for the F-15SE. However, Boeing says that all of the stealth, avionics and structural upgrades can be retrofitted on any existing F-15E. Company officials have briefed three agencies within the US Air Force, including Air Combat Command, but only as a "courtesy", a Boeing spokeswoman said."

Jon

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Hobbes on March 18, 2009, 02:08:49 AM
Quote from: pyro-manic on March 17, 2009, 12:03:40 PM

Is this a "we need a stealthy product, quick!!!" type development, I wonder?

Or a "the production line is about to close, let's see if we can wring a few more dollars out of it" type development...

Yeah, keep in mind how hard Boeing is working to stay in the game against Lock Marts super planes (F-22, F-35) Still a cool concept, probably going to see it forever now in Anime/ Ace Combat/ and other stuff looking forward to it. If I wanted the same old stuff I wouldn't be on this site  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Shasper

The SE is being marketed as a low cost, low risk alternate to the JSF . . . While it does look cool & would have better range, unless theres some added stealthy mods (the intakes for instance) the RCS reduction wont be that significant . . . now I wonder if the payload could be brought up to Beagle spec by using stealthy undewing panners?

(wondering where the effin canards are)  
Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

GTX

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 18, 2009, 09:49:53 AM
Quote from: GTX on March 18, 2009, 01:08:46 AM

regards,

Greg

From the Flight article:
"Boeing plans to offer the F-15SE to Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Israel and Saudi Arabia, with all being current F-15 customers.

The F-15's single-largest customer – the US Air Force – is not officially a sales target for the F-15SE. However, Boeing says that all of the stealth, avionics and structural upgrades can be retrofitted on any existing F-15E. Company officials have briefed three agencies within the US Air Force, including Air Combat Command, but only as a "courtesy", a Boeing spokeswoman said."

Jon

I did read that - I guess what I was getting at was who they will actually offer it to in the end.  Basically all that list is, is a list of current F-15 operators.  Those actively offered the mod may end up being different - especially since a number are alreay interested inthe F-35 etc.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

gunfighter

Why not a conformal weapons bay on the belly for SDBs?  ;D
Well, I don´t really see this aircraft in the same class as the F35...don´t know what kind of avionics does this F15 SE integrate or what could it be added in the future, but it´s a TRUE fighter. I mean a tier 1 fighter, more likely to succeed against flankers than the JSF. and I guess at a fraction of the cost. And if you put supercruising engines, AESA radar, and some kind of stealth tips, and consider that anytime during the conflict you´ll have to use the external stores and loose stealthiness, why buying the JSF???? :banghead:

Nigel Bunker

It reminds me of when a model of car is getting towards the end of it's sales life, and the manufacturer gives it one last "tart-up" to squeeze the last sales out of it before moving on to the next model.
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

Spey_Phantom

time for me to begin examining the plausability of a 1/144 version  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

dy031101

Quote from: gunfighter on March 19, 2009, 03:25:33 AM
Well, I don´t really see this aircraft in the same class as the F35...don´t know what kind of avionics does this F15 SE integrate or what could it be added in the future, but it´s a TRUE fighter. I mean a tier 1 fighter, more likely to succeed against flankers than the JSF. and I guess at a fraction of the cost. And if you put supercruising engines, AESA radar, and some kind of stealth tips, and consider that anytime during the conflict you´ll have to use the external stores and loose stealthiness, why buying the JSF???? :banghead:

Which brings me one question: how much of being network-centric would a low-observable fighter need to be in order to be viable?

Isn't the F-35 always advertised as relying on the ability to passively-acquire, process, make use of, and pass along situation awareness to emerge victorious in head-to-head combat?  The array of passive sensors and networking gears that the F-35 is advertised for having will probably never find their way to the Silent Eagle, but wouldn't even the best fire control systems available to export F-15s be announcing their presence before missiles start flying?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

gunfighter

What I really don´t like about the F 35, is that it gives the image of relying on its allegued stealthiness to "stay there" and collect information about the others threats, and if the pilot is lucky enough, position himself in a good spot to give the first shot. This seems to be its way of surviving in the battle front. BUT if the enemy knows the JSF is there and finds a way of detecting it (even with an IR sistem), or get to guns distance, the F35 lacks of "muscles" to deal with an standard fighter, let´s say a flanker. I think that there is the general assumption of comparing the F35 to the F22 as they both are 5gen stealth fighters, but the F22 is still a good fighter even without stealth, one thing we cannot say about the JSF. And once you put an ASRAAM under the wing of the JSF...what is left?
This upgraded F15 looks far more capable and suited for most of the countries that are willing to buy the JSF.  :bow:

dy031101

I'd be interested in seeing how much of an internal capacity the definitive prototype CFT set would have...... otherwise if the Silent Eagle wants to go low-observable, it too would be stuck with just four AMRAAM and a M61A1 (Lockheed said they're working on getting the F-35 capable of carrying six AMRAAMs internally)?

While I can see that the Silent Eagle can trace its heritage to a purpose-built air superiority fighter while the Lightning places heavy emphasis on its utility as a fighterbomber...... I don't think enough info is there to have me readily convinced that the F-35 without stealth is not a good fighter.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

cthulhu77

gunfighter

Can these pods be used by a standard F 15C? The americans won´t have money enough to retire the F15s and buy F22s on a 1 to 1 basis. So, they will have to plan ways of making the eagle more competitive, until technology becomes cheaper and the designers can offer Raptor-like performance at an affordable cost. Maybe the solution is new-build eagles with these kind of devices, new engines, AESAs, etc.