TBD Devastator

Started by Daryl J., September 25, 2007, 07:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just call me Ray

Woah, what engine and where'd you source it from?
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

sequoiaranger

I thought that until recently, only Airfix did a Devastator.

I think I see parts from a Fairey Firefly in there somewhere!

Actually, a good-looking model. Is that from Texas, or Chile?
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Brian da Basher

Quote from: sequoiaranger on December 14, 2008, 12:09:00 AM
I thought that until recently, only Airfix did a Devastator.

I think I see parts from a Fairey Firefly in there somewhere!

Actually, a good-looking model. Is that from Texas, or Chile?

That's the Republic of Texas "Alamo" pardner! The nose was swiped from some nameless eastern european Il-2 and the markings were cobbled together from hinomorus. It may well have been Airfix and not Matchbox. The box is long gone.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Jeffry Fontaine

Along with updating the Devastator with a more powerful engine and wing guns, I think it needs a better paint job to go with these improvements.  Perhaps an overall  gloss dark sea blue finish as applied to late war Navy aircraft?  It would certainly benefit from the addition of a propeller spinner and a better propeller.  Of course Brian's interpretation is also worth considering. 

For anyone that has SketchUp 3D drawing program there is a full 3D model of the TBD Devastator created by D. James available for download from the 3D Warehouse.  It is very impressive.  There are several aircraft available as well (SBD Dauntless, TBF/TBM Avenger, Japanese Val, O-52 Owl) as complete 3D models. 

This is the thumbnail from the first of the download files

image source: D.James/SketchUp
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg