Liberator and Privateer (B-24, B-41, PB4Y, P-4)

Started by The Rat, September 28, 2007, 07:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Haven't seen one. Then again, I doubt we'll see yours either  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on October 18, 2015, 11:43:29 PM
Did anyone build an AEW version, as I have acquired the AeroClub Shackleton MR2/AEW conversion kit?

Where would you put the radar? Consider the fact that this is a WWII design so nothing to far fetched such as a rotating dome/disc or Synthetic Aperture Radar would fit the time period and the B-24 family sat very low to the ground.
These would be good reasons why no one has build an AEW version so far.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

A few of the B-17s and B-29s were converted to AEW Picket duty by the USNavy. Some of them had the radar dome fitted above the cockpit whilst the majority carried them in the weapons/bomb bay.
Whiffers work in mysterious ways to get their builds noticed.

jcf

Quote from: Gondor on October 20, 2015, 04:43:11 AM
Quote from: McColm on October 18, 2015, 11:43:29 PM
Did anyone build an AEW version, as I have acquired the AeroClub Shackleton MR2/AEW conversion kit?

Where would you put the radar? Consider the fact that this is a WWII design so nothing to far fetched such as a rotating dome/disc ...

... or perhaps just a rotaitng bar like used on a Wellington radar test aircraft?  ;)

sandiego89

Or like the dorsal radar on the EC-121's: the AN/APS-45 height finder radar- not as big a dish as the belly mounted air search radar- but shows you can have a dorsal fit. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

McColm

jcf

Chin-mounted like on the Tu-95K would be the obvious location for a B-24.

PR19_Kit

It'd need to be a very flat radome, the B-24's nose gear is about 1/10th the height of the Tu-95's.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 21, 2015, 02:30:34 PM
Chin-mounted like on the Tu-95K would be the obvious location for a B-24.

Good pic Jon.  It makes the Bear look weirdly stalky and gangly.  Sort of like a marionette dragon.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 21, 2015, 03:39:53 PM
It'd need to be a very flat radome, the B-24's nose gear is about 1/10th the height of the Tu-95's.

It wouldn't need to be proportionally any flatter in relation to the B-24 airframe than it is to the Tu-95 airframe.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 21, 2015, 10:03:21 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 21, 2015, 03:39:53 PM

It wouldn't need to be proportionally any flatter in relation to the B-24 airframe than it is to the Tu-95 airframe.

True, but wouldn't that limit its effectiveness due to the small size of the antenna?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

The Tu-95 also uses its radar to search for ships so only uses the front hemisphere i.e. the direction it's travelling in, for AEW you need all around coverage.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

Thanks,
I'll try the Rotodome from the E-2 Hawkeye or use the large radome from the EC-121 Warning Star placed on a platform similar to the E-1B.

jcf

Quote from: Gondor on October 22, 2015, 04:39:59 AM
The Tu-95 also uses its radar to search for ships so only uses the front hemisphere i.e. the direction it's travelling in, for AEW you need all around coverage.

Gondor

Second similar radome mounted in the tail position. Nimrod AEW.3's grand-daddy.  ;D