ZEro Length Launch (ZELL) Systems

Started by apophenia, January 17, 2009, 12:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

How much stress does the ZELL put on an airframe compared to a carrier launch?

BTW:  Did the USN make a big deal about ZELL's (as an argument could be made about carriers being made obsolete)
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 26, 2011, 02:47:56 PM
BTW:  Did the USN make a big deal about ZELL's (as an argument could be made about carriers being made obsolete)

They'd still need to land them somewhere though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 26, 2011, 02:47:56 PM
How much stress does the ZELL put on an airframe compared to a carrier launch?

I don't know, but I think it would depend on the rate of acceleration the rockets gave to the aircraft. As long as the rocket is powerful enough to lift the aircraft, it could actually accelerate it up to flying speed fairly slowly (more slowly than a catapult launch, anyway). Obviously a Nike Sprint booster wouldn't be a good idea. ;D You could conceivably use rockets instead of catapults for carrier launching, but it'd be very wasteful and you'd need to have an awful lot of carrier volume given over to carrying engines and fuel (even if you can work out a way to re-use the engines).
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

dy031101

Other than the Thunderbird shows, is there other possible source of inspirations I can use in putting a ZELL system on a military ship?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

rallymodeller

Quote from: dy031101 on July 11, 2011, 09:19:54 PM
Other than the Thunderbird shows, is there other possible source of inspirations I can use in putting a ZELL system on a military ship?

Other than those already mentioned, can't think of any more. Stratos 4 is probably a better bet for reference than Thunderbirds; in the OVA (DVD-only release) they switch from TSR.2s to Foxhounds and there is a B-58/T-4 hybrid as well ("Stratos 4" itself). The trucks used for the TELs are MAZ-543s, and you can even get those in 1/48 (Arii FROG Launchers).

I actually have the entire series on DVD (including the extras and the OVA) and can get you as many screencaps as you want.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

rickshaw

Various USN & Soviet cruise missile systems, usually launched from submarines utilised such technology.  Regulus springs to mind as one.  Land systems include Mace and Matador, directly launching from hangars.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

Boeing AN-1 submarine, carrying eight ZELL F11F Tigers, it could carry missiles instead.  You could intergrate a similar system into a surface warship.  More on Secret Projects:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2390.msg20024.html#msg20024

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

How did they land back on the carrier or were they single shot weapons?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Rheged

Quote from: rickshaw on July 12, 2011, 03:35:02 AM

I assumed that they were  to function like a CAM ship Hurricane.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Mossie

More background on the project on another Secret Projects thread including a mach 3 aircraft designed specifically for the job.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3979.0.html

Quote from: Rheged on July 12, 2011, 03:36:45 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on July 12, 2011, 03:35:02 AM

I assumed that they were  to function like a CAM ship Hurricane.

The thread mentions the dedicated Mach 3 aircraft would have been recovered onto a rig in a similar way to the Ryan X-13.  It seems the F11F's on the profile above were not intended for the AN-1, but the Grayback subs in place of the Regulus.  Some work was done to see if the Tigers would fit.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Talking of the Tiger, here's proposed ZELL version of the two seat Super Tiger scanned from the Naval Fighters volume on the F11F-1F.  The book says it would have been suited to Zell because it could fit on the back of a trailer (the Super Tiger was compact compared to other 50's mach 2 fighters) & had a 70% stronger structure than century series aircraft due to it's naval origins.

philp

Another thread resurrection.

Just saw this kit from HAWK.

Did find that the F-84 was used in ZELL tests but it had the under fuselage rocket like the F-100 and F-104 tests, not under wing rockets like the kit.

Still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voixUMWvkV4
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

Looks to me like the F-84 in the kit DOES have an underfuselage rocket: it's not very conspicuous because it's painted black.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Sauragnmon

All four of the items on the wings are fuel tanks.  The rocket is hidden by the launch rack, painted black, and it hangs down behind the truck as well.

On a different note, that might fit here... I had the mad scientist idea the other day of what if a MiG-21 was fitted with a ramjet engine instead of a normal jet?  Give it a rocket booster, and then see how fast you could get that sucker to go?
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Mossie

The single engine versions of the Ye-150 series might be good for that, they look like MiG-21's only quite a bit bigger.