My Stash Just Grew Again (2011)

Started by Maverick, December 31, 2010, 03:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Slightly convoluted, but bear with me. There was a British prop trainer (Chipmunk I think?) that was used for covert recce over Berlin during the cold war. Now, what if the Soviets had invaded Japan, along with the Allies in 1945, leading to Japan and specifically Tokyo being partitioned in a similar way? The Commonwealth occupation force is largely made up of ANZACs, with a few British units thrown in to keep their official presence. The Wackett is used in a similar way to the aforementioned trainer over Berlin, flying with a "keen amateur photographer" in the back seat and snapping shots of key Soviet locations in their sector of Tokyo?

Anyhoo, my additions today:

Heller Spitfire XVI
Heller P-51D Mustang
A Model Yak-27R

All in 1:72, of course. Really must stop buying stuff now! :blink:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

From ebay, a very sensible set of Armatec 1/76th British AFV tools, and a very silly Polar Lights Batplane... ;D :party:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Fromebay, a Novo De Havilland Hornet. More stock rebuilding.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Rat

Quote from: pyro-manic on September 06, 2011, 07:52:11 AM
There was a British prop trainer (Chipmunk I think?) that was used for covert recce over Berlin during the cold war.

Correct.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Quote from: The Rat on September 07, 2011, 07:27:04 PM
Quote from: pyro-manic on September 06, 2011, 07:52:11 AM
There was a British prop trainer (Chipmunk I think?) that was used for covert recce over Berlin during the cold war.

Correct.

And there's a good article about these flights in the September edition of Model Aircraft (or whatever they are calling it this month)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

from andrea, via historex agents
54mm Lawrence of Arabia.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 08, 2011, 12:19:56 AM
And there's a good article about these flights in the September edition of Model Aircraft (or whatever they are calling it this month)

What's it got on the cover please Chris, I'd like to read that article?

When I lived in Berlin in '78 there were two Chippies that patrolled the West Berlin/DDR border areas every day, usually around 11 am or so overhead the plant where I was working. That was in the American zone, but only about 1/2 mile from the southern border, and they came over us at around 1000 ft or so, looking anything BUT covert in an overall camouflage scheme, the underside as well.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

From ebay, Dapol 1/76th modern shop and flat. Excellent source of greeblies (grills, frames) and my last one is running a bit low now.... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 08, 2011, 12:56:44 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 08, 2011, 12:19:56 AM

What's it got on the cover please Chris, I'd like to read that article?

It's got a Hurricane on the front Kit and will be in the model section of the mags. It is Model Aircraft (changed it's name and back again in the last year  :banghead:) Article is mainly about the Anson/Pembroke flights etc but then goes on to the Berlin Chipmunks. In a couple of the photo's it's quite interesting to see the way the Russians appear to have lined up their AA equipment on parade as if to stick two metaphorical fingers up at them - always knew they had a sense of humour  ;D :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Howard of Effingham

a raid on various places in the birmingham area yesterday yielded......

fuijmi MiG-21 [recce boxing]
hasegawa F-14B [with etched brass cockpit and engine bits]
testors SNJ texan
zvezda Mil-Mil 24 hind
hasegawa F-16E
fujimi A-6E/TRAM [VA-115 last flight boxing]
Keeper of George the Cat.

Steel Penguin

from king-kit,
acadamy 1:48 T72, non moterised   ive now 3 for supporting my cold war russians.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

The Wooksta!

A mate was thinning his PR Spitfire collection out, so I scored for:

MPM Spitfire PR.XI
Special Hobby Spitfire PR.X
Airfix Spitfire PR.XIX
Airfix Spitfire IX - assembled and converted to the PR ones converted by 1. PRU.
Model Alliance PR Spitfire pt one. (Decals)
Misc resin bits for Spitfires - ironically, they're bits I cast for him about five years ago!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Nick

From Duxford last week for the princely sum of £8;

Matchbox Curtiss SBC-4 Helldiver, aka the Curtiss Cleveland Mk.1

This will be wearing Fleet Air Arm colours as the 49 French machines were impressed into RN service upon the arrival of the carrier Bearn in the UK just as France surrendered. If anyone has suitable squadron markings, plase let me know!

The Wooksta!

As they were dive bombers, give them to the units that flew from Illustrious for the Tarranto raid.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

The Wooksta!

From ebay:

Bagged MPM Spitfire PRXIX

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: