My Stash Just Grew Again (2011)

Started by Maverick, December 31, 2010, 03:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Just won on ebay:

Ventura Spitfire HF.IXc (the HF refers to the Merlin type and not the wingtips.  Confused?  Me too.)
Fujimi Spitfire FRXIVe (Far East boxing - the post war German one seems to be quite rare for some reason, although apart from the decals it's the same plastic.)

Total Spitfires acquired in June - 20.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Wooksta!

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on June 11, 2011, 05:11:09 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 11, 2011, 08:15:17 AM
<...> the Xtrakit/MPM one (and I loathe that kit now).  <...>

Why's that?

Because it's an utter disappointment.  Nicely tooled but:
The wings need serious sanding down to get them to close up, and that's without the wheel well inserts.  On top of which, the wing has some shape problems.  There've been comments elsewhere about the tips being too pointy but the curve on the trailing edge starts too soon.
The spinner is way too pointy whilst the prop blades are the wrong shape and far too short - the prop diameter is about 4mm short.
The canopies don't close and are too wide - try fitting them over any other Spitfire kit and they just fall over them.  This leads me to suspect that the fuselage itself is too wide.

Despite it's fit problems, I'd rather build the Admiral kit.

As for the AZ F21.  TsrJoe's right, the fin and rudder are off.  I think the fin is fixable, it's the rudder that's at fault.  I suspect that AZ/Admiral have gone off plans for the early Seafire F45s which had Seafire F15 rudders, similar in size to the Spitfire F8 rudder and that throws the look of the whole thing out.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

ChernayaAkula

Thanks for the heads-up!  :thumbsup: That does indeed sound horrible.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

chrisonord

This morning arrived a revell S-3 Viking from our very own Deathjester, possibly going to be a tanker, but may become an anti shipping platform totting a pair of penguins. Oh and a bonus me-109 pre built was in there too (I will get you back with that one Jason ;) ;D).
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

The Wooksta!

Not quite an addition, but two Airfix Spitfire mk Ias  appeared where I never expected to find them in me Mam's loft.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Quote from: chrisonord on June 13, 2011, 10:05:39 AM
This morning arrived a revell S-3 Viking from our very own Deathjester, possibly going to be a tanker, but may become an anti shipping platform totting a pair of penguins. Oh and a bonus me-109 pre built was in there too (I will get you back with that one Jason ;) ;D).
Cheers,
Chris.

I just had a vision of Radish doing the same but with the aquatic bird under the wings.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Howard of Effingham

yesterday from antics coventry....

two RoG stuka's.

one is a B model [italeri moulding] and the other a G of unknown and ancient parentage.

what's wrong? all of a sudden i have a prop' kick. ;) help!
Keeper of George the Cat.

IanH

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on June 14, 2011, 04:26:29 AM
yesterday from antics coventry....

two RoG stuka's.

one is a B model [italeri moulding] and the other a G of unknown and ancient parentage.

what's wrong? all of a sudden i have a prop' kick. ;) help!
Matchbox?

IanH

Many Thanks to Rotorhead, one of my Holy Grail kits, and a Bloodhound...

Rheged

Quote from: Gondor on June 13, 2011, 01:05:43 PM
Quote from: chrisonord on June 13, 2011, 10:05:39 AM
Cheers,
Chris.

I just had a vision of Radish doing the same but with the aquatic bird under the wings.

Gondor

And why shouldn't  the machine carry a tactical nuclear penguin under each wing ? I could imagine that this item will incapacitate the opposition comprehensively.

http://www.brewdog.com/tactical_nuclear_penguin
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

pyro-manic

I fear flight deck crew and armourers' performance would suffer if such a munition were carried aboard ship....

Today's arrivals, from HLJ: Two Bandai kits from the Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind movie. A 1:72 kit of the gunship, and a 1:20 kit of Nausicaa herself riding her giant bird, "Kai". If anyone hasn't seen this superb film, they would do well to track it down. All sorts of whiffery goodness (huge flying machines, cool tanks, giant insects, bio-mechanical superweapons) and a cracking story to boot.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

The Wooksta!

two RoG stuka's.

Most likely Revell's own kit from the 1970s - they also bought the Frog tool but I doubt it's ever been repopped.  If it's got an engine, separate wheels in the spate and some reasonable cockpit detail, it's the Revell tool. 

Today saw a pair of Airfix Spitfire mk IXcs added to the stash, although one is now off the sprue.  I'm thinking North Korean for this one and no, I'm not giving you the backstory.  I'm keeping that for the book I'll be writing in the New Year.

Total Spitfire acquisitions in June so far: 22

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 14, 2011, 12:37:54 PM

two RoG stuka's.

Most likely Revell's own kit from the 1970s - they also bought the Frog tool but I doubt it's ever been repopped.  If it's got an engine, separate wheels in the spate and some reasonable cockpit detail, it's the Revell tool.  

thanks lee, that's cleared up the confusion i had. its obiviously the revell mould.
Keeper of George the Cat.

McColm

Bought on ebay for a fiver 1/24 AMT ERTL Ford Taurus 4 door sedan Police car Rescue 911
Over in the UK we called the Taurus the Granada/Scorpio. there was the 4 door saloon/sedan, five door hatchback and five door estate or station wagon.
This one has the 3 litre 24 valve 5 speed manual gear box. with extra alloys and decals on  white plastic.
Could convert the car to right hand drive by using the spare dashboard from my 1/24 Fujimi Porsche 911 Carrera 2. Never had the 3 litre, but owned a 1.8 five door hatch-great car. Just like driving an armchair!!
Options;
UK Police car
convert it into 5 door hatchback, leaving the boot/trunk open
or buy another one and lengthen the back with another row of seats.
or find a suitable estate/station wagon.

Martin H

via a certain well known auction web site.

One Italeri CH-47D with the radar nose.
One Trumpeter FC-1.

Both 1/72nd scale.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.