My Stash Just Grew Again (2011)

Started by Maverick, December 31, 2010, 03:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on September 25, 2011, 08:05:07 AM
Academy 1/72nd F-89J Scorpion for £5.00 (which means I have Genies.... :wacko:)
2 x Revell new-tool Fairey Gannets for £6.00 each
Revell Fairey Rotodyne for £10.00 (that's the second cheap one I've picked up  :mellow:)

I suppose you could say that's a fairey good haul....... <groan>

I didn't know Fairey made the Scorpion as well...........  ;)

What was the protest ride all about then?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2011, 08:28:25 AM

What was the protest ride all about then?

Proposed new European bike legislation. It's a complicated raft of stuff, but the core is "anti-tampering": basically, you won't be allowed to modify any part of the bike's drive train from air filter to back tire in any way not approved by the manufacturer, and "modify" includes simply fitting different brands, like a cheaper aftermarket air filter or a better tire, not neccessarily "tuning". It's being touted on safety grounds, yet there is absolutely no evidence that it will have any safety effect at all, the suspicion being that the manufacturers are offering to "give way" on this rather than other issues because it hands them a convenient monopoly by putting the aftermarket industry out of business almost completely and killing off customising in any meaningful sense.

The UK government is actually quite anti the new regs, but they need to have the strength of feeling publically demonstrated so that they know the bike lobbying groups actually represent a significant constituency, not just themselves, hence the protest. There've been go-slows on motorways all over the country this afternoon... :mellow:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Martin H

From todays IPMS Brampton show.

1. Airfix Cromwell IV tank.
1. Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Ia.
1. Airfix Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2.
1. Airfix Grumman Widgeon/Gosling.
1. MPM Messerschmitt Me 262 Mistel
1. MPM Messerschmitt Me 262V-9.
1. ICM Heinkel He-70F-2.
1. ICM Heinkel He-70G-1
2. ICM Tupolev SB-2M-100.
1. RV Resins Messerschmitt Bf-109G-0 V tail.
1. Plastyk PZL P-11C.
1. Skunk model IDF weapon set.
1. S&M decals Sikorsky S-58ET conversion and decals for British Airways and Bristows.

Im also in the possession of the following for onward transport to Duncan/Overkiller.  :wacko:
1. A Model M-50 Bounder
1. A Model Sukhoi T-4.

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on September 25, 2011, 08:43:06 AM
Proposed new European bike legislation. It's a complicated raft of stuff, but the core is "anti-tampering": basically, you won't be allowed to modify any part of the bike's drive train from air filter to back tire in any way not approved by the manufacturer, and "modify" includes simply fitting different brands, like a cheaper aftermarket air filter or a better tire, not neccessarily "tuning".

Jeepers, that's RIDICULOUS! It's also surely against the 'free trade' mantra that the Euros go on about, it would actually GENERATE manufacturer's monopolies!

I do hope they're not thinking about trying that with cars and trucks, the entire continent will come to halt with the protests and the Euro Zone will self destruct. If it hasn't done so already by then of course.........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Spey_Phantom

bought a Revell 1/48 F-84F Thunderstreak at a bargain price at a rumage sale today.
might use the Belgian Markings in the box on that TSR2 i bought recently  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2011, 10:57:50 AM
Quote from: Weaver on September 25, 2011, 08:43:06 AM
Proposed new European bike legislation. It's a complicated raft of stuff, but the core is "anti-tampering": basically, you won't be allowed to modify any part of the bike's drive train from air filter to back tire in any way not approved by the manufacturer, and "modify" includes simply fitting different brands, like a cheaper aftermarket air filter or a better tire, not neccessarily "tuning".

Jeepers, that's RIDICULOUS! It's also surely against the 'free trade' mantra that the Euros go on about, it would actually GENERATE manufacturer's monopolies!

I do hope they're not thinking about trying that with cars and trucks, the entire continent will come to halt with the protests and the Euro Zone will self destruct. If it hasn't done so already by then of course.........

If you knew how many proposals that generate that that reaction that we've STILL had to fight tooth and nail to kill off over the years....... :rolleyes:

Dr. Brian Chin, ex of the TRRL, is STILL touring the world, promoting the "benefits" of his motorcycle leg protectors, or "kneecappers" as we christened them, despite having their value refuted by every body not part of his crusade. The highlight (in demonstrating the mentality) was when "Airnet", a Motorcycle Action Group activist who had a press card for some other organisation, got herself on a TRRL "open" day (from which the motorcycle press was mysteriously excluded.... :rolleyes:), stuck her hand up to point out that the crash test dummy in the "successful" test they'd just witnessed had, in fact, shattered it's kneecap, and was promptly thrown off site.... :rolleyes: :angry:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Daryl J.

McColm

Matchbox 1/25 Ford Capri MKII
Revel 1/72 MH-53 Pave Low III

Nick

At IPMS Brampton show yesterday I picked up these...

Italeri 1/48 Stingbat helo, £5. Another one for the stash, think I have a couple in there already  :rolleyes:

Matchbox 1/48 FJ-4B Fury, £5. Not sure what I was thinking of but it may be a flashback from trips to Beatties and seeing these large unaffordable fancy kits on the shelves and really wanting one!
Made In England is stamped on each white, light grey and dark green sprue. Nice big clear instructions with a good history of the aircraft type and easy to understand colour codes. Ah, those were the days! ;D

Howard of Effingham

at yesterday's brampton show...

airfix concorde
heller AS332 super puma
fujimi F-4C/D including the rather nice north dakota centennial scheme
2 hasegawa F-15A's [these were a bargain £10 each. one has three ADTAC sqns on the decals and the other three ANG sqns]
hasegawa A-10
fujimi SH-2F seasprite
dragon He-162/ mistel combo
heritage aviation pilatus PC-12
broplan piper chieftain

i also had a couple of the skunk model weapons sets, a MA/TAW HH-60J upgrade/ conversion set, some lovely S&M decals for the lancaster and
the EE lightning, and several etch-brass sets from kit-krazy.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Rheged

Local garden centre has a  small model shop.

Airfix Buccaneer at £4

A couple of Airfix starter kit (model, glue and paint) bundles at 2 for £7.50      Pe-2 and a P47 in one bundle, Zero and MiG15 in the other  bundle

The Bucc becomes the S3D  with the enhanced  fuel tankage and digital pit, no idea what the others might become.....

...perhaps the Mig as the Beyelorussian  Air Force in exile  or one of the Boscombe Bandits agressor  training group   (Her Majesty's Royal  St Petersburg Squadron)

Any other suggestions. please?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

McColm

Rheged

Quote from: McColm on September 26, 2011, 05:57:15 AM
what's a digital pit?

Apologies, digital (ie "glass") cockpit and systems rather than the early steam age analogue systems that were originally fitted.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

McColm

pyro-manic

Quote from: Rheged on September 26, 2011, 06:08:56 AMearly steam age analogue systems that were originally fitted.

Hah, now there's a cool idea. Large-scale model (1:32 or 24 or bigger?) with a cockpit like a steam train or ship, with big shiny brass dials, levers, valves etc. ;D

Ooh, perhaps do that to the P-47? It's big and rotund enough, so convert it to steam power!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<