PSR-1 Prototype

Started by John Howling Mouse, January 01, 2011, 01:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

No, it is easy - in fact you are already done...you were going for the look just after the avionics bay had exploded weren't you... :blink:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Eddie M.

Superior in all aspects! Bravo Zulu!! :cheers:
Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

Thanks, fellow Whiffers.  Keeps me going.

Thought the wiring looked nuts before?  Check it out with the boxes in place.  Only dilemma now is that I'm not sure in what order to assemble versus paint things.
Plan was to spray primer in the open bay after wiring was in, otherwise the primer would impede the glue.  Now that the wires are in place, spraying everything now will
cover the wires, making them not work well with CA glue.  Yet, I really can't spray anything after it's all together as I wouldn't be able to get into half the nooks and crannies.

:banghead:  Not sure what to do....suggestions, Mr. Worf?   :banghead:

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Alvis 3.14159

Where's Samuel L. Jackson when you need him?
"I've had it with all theses #$@&! snakes in this &#@%! plane!"

Looking good so far...can't wait to see this one done

Alvis Pi

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

I share this with you as only fellow modelers would know just how nerve-wracking and difficult doing something like engraving a panel lip and drilling this many .080" holes would be, especially when the plastic is attached to all that scratchbuilt junk in the aft avionics bay.

The lip, engraved with a combination of Dremels, files and blades:

After drilling x number of tiny holes in the 1.5 mm wide engraved lip.  I know it's far from factory-perfect CAD-modeling but it's not some purchased after-market, pre-painted stick-on: I made it with my own hands and I think this should look pretty convincing once painted up and it has a panel-door hanging from the edge.

The Gronk Hand (TM) for scale reference:

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

srkirad

Well John, this is quite a surprise New Year's gift from you for all of us on WHIFmodellers! :)

I'm amazed with level of details you've applied to this cockpit.. and almost all of it scratchbuilt!

I like front cut-out area for avionics.. doing great job...

The only thing that looks a bit oversized on this project are vertical tails... maybe if they were a bit smaller (or less tall)... don't know why but they add some strange "weight" on rear part of plane...  :rolleyes:

Anyway, I await for new photos... this is true masterpiece of modelling surgery!  :thumbsup:

Just keep going! ;)

Cheers and Happy New Year  :cheers:
Srdjan
There's a grey place between black and white, but everyone does have the right to choose the path that he takes...
Administrator of Serbian modelling forum "Maketarski Kutak"
www.maketarskikutak.com

pedrospe

hi john, it is amazing the detail of your projects, i wish i had the ability to do the same on my own models. good work.

best regards

Pedro

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on January 09, 2011, 12:27:57 PM

That's some serious form of fungi you have there Barry  ;D  must be from all that snow you've been getting up there --- leave it alone for a few hours and look what happens ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: srkirad on January 10, 2011, 02:03:59 AM

The only thing that looks a bit oversized on this project are vertical tails... maybe if they were a bit smaller (or less tall)... don't know why but they add some strange "weight" on rear part of plane...  :rolleyes:

Cheers and Happy New Year  :cheers:
Srdjan

It's interesting that you say the tailfins seem oversized.  Originally, I planned to simply use two of the regular kit tails but I kept thinking the aft end looked "too light" so I opted to scratchbuild bigger fins.  See comparison below.  I *really* wish I simply like them better with the kit-supplied tailfins...would be so many hours less work!  I think I should make at least one version in the regular fins.  After all, real a/c often have multiple variants, right?   :thumbsup:

I could do the prototype which I'm currently building as the "light" version and the armed, three-color camo schemed "operational" version could sport the heavier tails and slats to show learnings and evolution since the prototype.   Hmmmmm....must ponder.

Cliffy B

The one on the right, the one on the right, the one on the right,!!!!!!!  RIGHT!!!  ;)
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

frank2056

The avionics panel lip looks fantastic! How were you able to maintain a constant cutting depth/plastic thickness? The cable mess looks like Medusa's hair...

anthonyp

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 10, 2011, 06:40:43 AM
Quote from: John Howling Mouse on January 09, 2011, 12:27:57 PM

That's some serious form of fungi you have there Barry  ;D  must be from all that snow you've been getting up there --- leave it alone for a few hours and look what happens ---

So... you're going with "The Thing" infesting the plane, right?   ;D

Very intriguing so far.  I really want to see how this turns out.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man