PSR-1 Prototype

Started by John Howling Mouse, January 01, 2011, 01:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkirad

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on January 10, 2011, 04:38:19 PM
After all, real a/c often have multiple variants, right?   :thumbsup:

I could do the prototype which I'm currently building as the "light" version and the armed, three-color camo schemed "operational" version could sport the heavier tails and slats to show learnings and evolution since the prototype.   Hmmmmm....must ponder.

Well, if you do plan to make another kit, but as a prototype version, then this is ok idea ;)

Maybe you can think of some other differences beetween protype and "operational" bird?  :rolleyes:

Maybe wings without "extensions" on prototype version... and oh, maybe if you could try to make a paper mock-up of vertical tails but sized beetween those from kit (left photo) and those big ones (right photo)... Maybe that "medium size" would look better?

Anyway, you're doing great job.. looking forward to see more progress....

Hope you will consult us for cammos too ;)

Regards,
Srdjan
There's a grey place between black and white, but everyone does have the right to choose the path that he takes...
Administrator of Serbian modelling forum "Maketarski Kutak"
www.maketarskikutak.com

arkon

is the spine [original fin] between the two vert stabs gonna stay be removed or become something else?
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: arkon on January 11, 2011, 05:38:01 PM
is the spine [original fin] between the two vert stabs gonna stay be removed or become something else?

From back on page 1 (easy to miss in all the details):

Decided to keep the original tailfin mount as a Rear Warning Radar housing.  Figured I might as well open two parts of that up as well.

I'll be thinning out the plastic walls, etc.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Have thinned down the walls for the RWR access.  Now, just have to remember to also rework the cut-off (hinged) parts, too.

View aft. 

Added some rivet holes on the IP coaming, too:

And, guess what?  IDF number two (which will be a fully-armed, camo, 2-seat version) has begun:

Thinning out an access port for a more realistic scale thickness:

tc2324

That is very impressive. :wub: I wish I could `cut` as well as that. Good job so far. :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

John Howling Mouse

Here are some pics of the RWR (Rear Whatchamacallit Radar) sensor package, complete with ridiculous-looking copper and steel wiring.  Sorry for all the pics but
it is completely asymmetrical so I wanted to show various views.  Wanna hear something funny?  Well, sort of funny.  I was using Loc-Tite's very thin "penetrating" CA glue to bond the wiring to the styrene.  I used a thin piece of wire to let the CA glue travel down to the target area.  You know, like the pro's do.  Only the transport wire was the only thin that stuck to the frakkin' tiny part so I tried again.  Sure enough, I encased the entire part in a pool of CA glue!  I had to chisel most of it off with knife and Dremel so it doesn't look as good as it did before I attempted to install the wiring.  I could have used CA de-bonder but, at this point, thought I better stick to things I can control----my own hands and the tools in them.   :banghead:

John Howling Mouse

Moving forward a bit to the RWR's power and sensor control package.  As the chunk of the kit's original tailfin chord/mount was virtually solid, I decided to scratchbuild my own.  It's not "Swanny" quality but it will do (it's going to be hinged sideways, anyhow).  And here are some pics of the scratchbuilt black boxes before any wiring gets attached.

I proudly boxed in the two areas only to realize later that you're not really going to be able to see the boxed-in areas well, at least not the fwd bay (Me = silly dork):

The greeblies themselves:

The greeblies in place.

Without the access cover:

And with the access cover:

Gondor

Probably a silly question....... but surely the tail-fin goes over the power area for your RWR? If that is as I suspect then you will need to have separate covers for each side as you will not be able to have a single cover move through the tail-fin!

Great work though and I sympathise about the glue going everywhere except where you want it to go. Perhaps if you used the eye of a needle with its tip cut off to make a Y shape, with the leg being the shaft of the needle, then use the prongs to hold your CA glue you should have a lot more control over the amount and where it goes. I got the tip from a biplane rigging demonstration at last years Scottish Nationals.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

apophenia

Lovin' the details Monsieur Souris  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Gondor on January 16, 2011, 02:21:57 PM
Probably a silly question....... but surely the tail-fin goes over the power area for your RWR? If that is as I suspect then you will need to have separate covers for each side as you will not be able to have a single cover move through the tail-fin!

PSR-1 is twin-tailed Gondor (at least in its cardboard mockup phase).

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Gondor on January 16, 2011, 02:21:57 PM

Great work though and I sympathise about the glue going everywhere except where you want it to go. Perhaps if you used the eye of a needle with its tip cut off to make a Y shape, with the leg being the shaft of the needle, then use the prongs to hold your CA glue you should have a lot more control over the amount and where it goes. I got the tip from a biplane rigging demonstration at last years Scottish Nationals.

Gondor

On the tailfins, yep, apophenia has it right.  In fact, I'm putting in all this RWR nonsense to sort of lend purpose and believability to this vestigial area now that the central fin has been replaced by twin fins.  But, don't put it past me to do something like build up an area which cannot be reached later.   :lol:

As for the cut sewing needle CA-glue applicator, I've heard of that from FSM before but I always wondered how you'd keep the CA glue from becoming a solid clump of hardened mass at the forked end...?

Gondor

Opps..... maybe I should dye my hair blond for missing the twin tails.

Superglue is easily removed from steel with a sharp knife especially if the surface is smooth which it should be using a needle as a source.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est