PSR-1 Prototype

Started by John Howling Mouse, January 01, 2011, 01:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

As for the cut sewing needle CA-glue applicator, I've heard of that from FSM before but I always wondered how you'd keep the CA glue from becoming a solid clump of hardened mass at the forked end...?

[/quote]

Another way to remove the cured CA from the needle is to hold it over a candle or lighter flame for a few seconds and the stuff will burn off.  But like most aspects of this hobby, do this in a well ventilated room to avoid breathing the fumes.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

D*mn, buddy, is there no end to your talent, patience and sheer bl**dy-mindedness ?

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

kitnut617

It's definitely mind-boggling and brilliant in the same breath  ----- but then again, I've been to Barry's place and this is the norm'
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

frank2056

Barry - How did you make the connectors on the RWR package? The ones that look like small dials or portholes?

Please tell me it's easy and not:

"I drilled a hole in 0.25mm solid plastic rod, then shaved off 2 micron slices using my microtome"

or

"I stretched sprue until it was hair thin, then wrapped it into a circle - by hand"

Frank

John Howling Mouse

Thanks, guys.

Frank, it was number one (from your quote below) only they were 4-micron thick.   :thumbsup:   Lots of failed ones in order to wind up with a few good ones.

Quote from: frank2056 on January 18, 2011, 02:06:24 PM
Barry - How did you make the connectors on the RWR package? The ones that look like small dials or portholes?

Please tell me it's easy and not:

"I drilled a hole in 0.25mm solid plastic rod, then shaved off 2 micron slices using my microtome"

or

"I stretched sprue until it was hair thin, then wrapped it into a circle - by hand"

Frank

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Just a quick update as I've boxed in that forward avionics bay.  Wow, was this ever more difficult than you'd think it would be!

Top half, inverted: 

Bottom half:

Sandwich them together and this is what you get.  A bit simple but it will be jam-packed with junk, anyhow so I put very little detail into the floors, shelf, or bulkheads.

Now, finally, I can build some junk to go in the front!

Eddie M.

YOU ARE THE MAN!!  Great work Baz. ;D
Look behind you!

pyro-manic

:blink: <---- is about right, I think! How did you do the "lip" of that bay? Did you thin down the existing plastic, or add it in? In which case, what about the door panel?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 26, 2011, 10:31:53 AM
:blink: <---- is about right, I think! How did you do the "lip" of that bay? Did you thin down the existing plastic, or add it in? In which case, what about the door panel?

Yeah, I thinned down the lip with a Dremel, then drilled the tiny holes for the speed fasteners.  Door panels will be scratchbuilt and curved separately.  Those guys featured in Sky Models magazine go as far as to have little pins in the doors to represent the way mechanics leave the fasteners in place but unthreaded.  I might just do that, too.

Keith Diamond

Came across this thread and knew I recognized the kit!

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on January 01, 2011, 01:32:19 PM
Could only find one preview of the Zhengdefu IDF kit online and zero post-build reviews. 

You missed one on this very forum!
23rd FW F-CK-1

I posted a non whif one at both ARC and Z-5
ROCAF F-CK-1

Yeah, I agree, the kit is crap and requires a lot of work to make it look good.  I had fun with my builds though, and I can tell you are doing the same.  Your scratchbuilding skills are amazing and I can't wait to see it finished.

Man, we should have cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo-poo.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Keith Diamond on January 27, 2011, 09:02:42 PM
Came across this thread and knew I recognized the kit!

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on January 01, 2011, 01:32:19 PM
Could only find one preview of the Zhengdefu IDF kit online and zero post-build reviews. 

You missed one on this very forum!
23rd FW F-CK-1

I posted a non whif one at both ARC and Z-5
ROCAF F-CK-1

Yeah, I agree, the kit is crap and requires a lot of work to make it look good.  I had fun with my builds though, and I can tell you are doing the same.  Your scratchbuilding skills are amazing and I can't wait to see it finished.

Ha, that's funny...don't know how I missed these.  Your ROCAF one is fantastic...great job scribing and adding rivets!

srkirad

John, any progress in recent weeks?  :unsure:
There's a grey place between black and white, but everyone does have the right to choose the path that he takes...
Administrator of Serbian modelling forum "Maketarski Kutak"
www.maketarskikutak.com

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Julhelm

I like the look of the concept if you remove the outer wing panels. Do that and it sort of resembles a much bigger, armed BD-10.
On the bench:

Post-apocalyptic Beaufighter

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: srkirad on February 22, 2011, 11:41:20 PM
John, any progress in recent weeks?  :unsure:

Sorry, no.  Been spending WAY too much time in the gym then exhausted afterwards (getting old).  Trying to find a balance between creativity and weight-training but I hope to get back to the "other" bench this weekend!