You can tell you're getting older when.... (modelling related)

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, January 03, 2011, 12:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

When your IPMS mag finally arrives and your membership no. has only three figures in it.............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Like Ian I find myself buying masks, but I simply put that down to them being available now whereas back in 1960 they wern't  :rolleyes: My first attempt to paint canopy frames "properly" involved sharpened matchsticks - wooden cocktail sticks wern't even around  :banghead:

Age related purchase has to be the magnifying headband and the age related sale is my unpained 15mm wargames figures - way to small now and as for the 6mm stuff  :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 03, 2011, 08:08:34 PMI'm seriously considering switching to light beer while modelling....I can't seem to get anything done with my current brand !

Does that count ?

Absolutely  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

puddingwrestler

I don't think you're old when you remember Matchbox kits being sold in the newsagent. I remember that and I'm only 27.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Captain Canada

Alot of stores here in Canada carried models when I was a kid as well.....you never knew what you'd find hiding in some stores ! Ah, the good old days....

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

lancer

Quote from: ChrisF on January 03, 2011, 03:08:47 PM
You remember when your local newsagent sold matchbox kits ?

And then spending nearly all your wages from your paper round on said kits on a Saturday morning
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

lancer

Quote from: Fulcrum on January 03, 2011, 11:32:03 PM
(...the model store dedicates itself/most of it's room for a silly futuristic wargaming fad with 6 tables in the back while all the remaining models are put in a small, central aisle.(Sorry guys, but Warhammer 40,000 is a pathetic waste of time(Star Wars are better))

That sounds like my local shop.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

lancer

You have to use your magnifying glasses to do nearly everything with your latest build!!

ChrisF

I went through a Games workshop phase but i have to admit i was more a fan of modelling something different now and again than the gaming side of it... Now they have "forge world" and i have to admit considering some of the crazier stuff in their catalogue...  :)

Cliffy B

Quote from: Fulcrum on January 03, 2011, 11:32:03 PM
(...the model store dedicates itself/most of it's room for a silly futuristic wargaming fad with 6 tables in the back while all the remaining models are put in a small, central aisle.(Sorry guys, but Warhammer 40,000 is a pathetic waste of time(Star Wars are better))

That's what happened to all of the comic book stores around here.  They have 2 revolving racks and one small book case with maybe 100 books and the rest of the store is stinking Warhammer stuff  :banghead:  Its probably a 95/5 split yet they still market themselves as a Comic Book shop, not a gaming shop.  So dumb... :banghead:

As far as being old (I'm only 24), I can remember when the Navy Base Exchanges used to have an entire aisle jammed packed with model kits.  Mostly cheap Revell and Italeri kits and I mean cheap as in price not the kits.  I used to love to go in there as a kid on the weekends with dad and get new kits.  Now all they have is a tiny part of an aisle with a few crappy car and maybe 3 airplane kits.  Michael's has a better selection now.  Oh well...

-Mike
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

jorel62

You can tell you're getting older when........ you didn't have to take a second mortgage on your house. And sell your family to buy a good kit. I'm going to miss her.

John Howling Mouse

...when you're excited because you got the diopter on your latest prescription glasses carefully tuned to the exact focal distance for model-building...

...and when a good number of kits in your stash have price stickers from stores which have not existed for over a decade...

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

NARSES2

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on January 04, 2011, 06:06:37 PM
...and when a good number of kits in your stash have price stickers from stores which have not existed for over a decade...

Or in my case a couple of kits still marked up in £sd  :banghead:

Quote from: Overkiller on January 04, 2011, 01:50:03 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on January 04, 2011, 06:01:27 AM
I find myself buying masks....

Is that for your other past time?  :wacko:

No, no,No Dunc. Not since I grew a beard anyway  :rolleyes: :wacko:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Allan

when you have to put your face closer to the carpet to search for small parts that have fallen from your work bench

Allan in Canberra

proditor

When you're looking at the details on your latest kit, and you take off your (near sighted) glasses so that things get closer and clearer.  :banghead: