W.I.P. pics of new projects....

Started by matrixone, January 05, 2011, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Thanks Pablo1965!

I did not have any P.E. seat belts in this scale so I painted them on, I did a dry fit of the canopies to see what the seat belts would look like through the glass and they look almost as good as P.E. so I will leave them as they are. In 1/72 scale you can get by with doing this, larger scales you can't.

Matrixone

MilitaryAircraft101

Mate, you are a Master! I just caught up with 10 pages and they are superb! You are the kind of RW builder I like, you can enjoy the hobby but still turn out eye popping models! Love the work  :bow:

matrixone

Thank you MilitaryAircraft101!

I will finish this current group of RW models and once these are done I will be switching to what-ifs to finish the year.

Yes I do build RW models but I do make an attempt to go for the more unusual camo and markings on them. I can't stand building a model of something that already has done before by a lot of other modelers, those Fw 190 Doras used by JV 44 are a good example of the kind of models I will NEVER make because I have seen so many models of them that I will puke if I see any more of them. ;)
The Hasegawa Ju 88G-1 I am building will have to be done in one of the kit supplied markings because I don't have other markings for this aircraft to use on it. No real problem though, Ju 88G-1s are not built very often so I doubt I will be seeing too many others to be bored with them.

In-progress pics from earlier today...

Matrixone

Pablo1965

Arquitecture, pure arquitecture. Good work.  :thumbsup: :cheers:

MilitaryAircraft101

Wonderful! These are awesome, keep turning them out! And if your RW is this good, what are your Whifs like!  :blink:

matrixone

Thanks Pablo1965 and thanks again MilitaryAircraft101!

MilitaryAircraft101,
This has been an unusual year for me, I have made many more RW models than whiffs and I like to keep it at 50/50. The what-ifs I do build are close to RW stuff but still what-ifs...just the type of models that might make a JMN type scurry off to the reference books! ;D

One of my more recent whiffs was an Opel Blitz fuel truck that I made a few weeks ago, the thread should be only pages back if you want to look at it.

Matrixone

matrixone

More in-progress pics of the Ju 88s.

Now I have started painting these models, after a base coat of RLM 76 I added the pre-shading but have yet to cover it back up with more RLM 76. My goal is to have the pre-shading barely be seen on the finished models, thats why I put the pre-shading on in narrow lines...its quicker (and easier) to cover it up.

Matrixone

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Oh I like that idea - a Mistel trainer... I'm guessing lots of yellow panels and large yellow training codes over the basic camo ??

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

matrixone

Ian,
No yellow markings on the Ju 88G-10/Fw 190 Mistel trainer combo, color film and photographs show these aircraft  captured at Bernburg in 1945 were mostly in gray colors and no special markings. The only other color used was a mottled dark green color for the power eggs on the Ju 88G-10.

More in-progress pics...

The pre-shading has been covered up and the models are almost ready for the rest of the camouflage painting.

Matrixone

Gondor

looking impresive as always Matrixone

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

matrixone

Thanks Gondor!

The paint is fully dried now so in the morning I start painting the rest of the camo on these models.

Matrixone

matrixone

Did some painting on the Ju 88s, the Ju 88G-1 has all the mottling done on it, the Ju 88G-10 has a little more work to be done on it, the power eggs still need the green mottling added to them plus I need to define the gray mottling a little more to make it look like the mottling used on late production G-6/G-10s.
The Focke-Wulf is also being painted but most of my attention is on the Junkers right now.

Matrixone

Pablo1965

I see you use a thicker mottled, for the wings, and I like, but I've seen some who maintain the same thickness, especially in the He219. You think it's for a special occasion? I want to know more about these differences, Ah do you remember your zero of monogram? well I am doing a vintage Bf109E Hungarian, and I'm enjoying it.  :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

matrixone

Thanks Pablo1965 and look forward to seeing your Bf 109E.

About the mottling on the Junkers...the very late production Ju 88s had a very different style of mottling on the fuselage than that used on the wings, this was most likely because those areas were painted by different painters when the aircraft was painted. The unique swirl looking mottling on the wings and tails of late production Ju 88 G-6s and G-10s was made by painting RLM 76 over a base coat of RLM 75 to create the mottles. I have a few photographs of some Ju 88s that were only partly painted and had been delivered with the wing uppersurfaces in gray with no RLM 76 added to form the mottles...yet the rest of the aircraft (including the flaps) had the usual mottling. The power eggs on a few of the Ju 88G-6 nightfighters were delivered in RLM 71 and the RLM 71 was oversprayed with 76 to form the mottling.

What many people don't understand about He 219 camouflage is the way they were painted, the uppersurfaces were in RLM 75 gray and the RLM 76 was applied in a tight scribble pattern to form the neat looking mottling! This would be very difficult (but not impossible) to do in a small scale.
I have also seen a couple of He 219s finished in solid RLM 76 with a loose scribble of RLM 75.

Here is my Ju 88G-10 with the final camouflage painting done to it, I am happy with the look of the mottling and it captures the swirl style of mottling pretty close.

Below is a pic of my test subjects used to try out my airbrush before actually adding paint to my models, this is a good habit to get into and it will save a lot of time from having to correct painting mistakes. I would not even think of painting the Ju 88s without making sure the airbrush would perform exactly like I wanted it to.

Matrixone

Pablo1965

Thanks for the clarification of my question. I also think a great finish.  :thumbsup: