W.I.P. pics of new projects....

Started by matrixone, January 05, 2011, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

The two Komets are now finished but I can't take the final pics of them until the transport vehicle is also finished...here is a teaser pic of the HobbyBoss easy assembly Me 163B, its not the best of kits but I like it anyway! ;)

Much better pics of the Komets will be posted a few days from now.

Matrixone

NARSES2

Shows just what can be done with these "simple" kits  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

NARSES2,
Some of the JMN types sneer at the 'easy assembly' kits but I think they are good for the health of the hobby and are great for someone new to building plastic models. For an old timer like myself these kind of kits are still fun to make and don't look too bad once finished.
If HobbyBoss could make a few corrections on some of these entry level kits they could be almost as accurate (in shape) as the best kits on the market.

Matrixone

NARSES2

Quote from: matrixone on May 31, 2012, 01:32:11 PM

Some of the JMN types sneer at the 'easy assembly' kits but I think they are good for the health of the hobby and are great for someone new to building plastic models.
Matrixone

Agreed  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pablo1965

Should there be a degree as ... Master of the gray scale. I would give to you without hesitation
Congratulations, It is a great plane and well done.

matrixone

Thank you Pablo.

Some actual progress to show you, here is the completed Scheuch-Schlepper that was included in the Academy 1/72 scale Me 163 kit.

When the above pics were taken it was just starting to rain so there will be no pics of the finished Komets and Scheuch-Schlepper together until I can get a stretch of good weather.
My intentions are to do a series of airfield type pictures with the Komets but I will need my full photobase set up and I don't want get everything set up and then have it ruined by a sudden rain shower. The forecast for my area is a week of damp weather with cooler than usual temps. :-\
When the weather does clear up and am able to get outside and take the pics I will be using the little Tamiya 1/100 scale Komet for some forced perspective pics.

Matrixone

matrixone

This is the first couple in-progress pics of the 1/48 scale Testors/HAWK Me 163.

No, its not a Zebra camouflage pattern....the gray primer is on and the black pre-shading too, I also added some white highlights to add further contrast. The next step in painting will be adding some thin coats of RLM 76 which will cover up almost all of the pre-shading leaving just a tiny amount still showing which will add some depth to the otherwise bland RLM 76 paint color on the fuselage and wing undersurfaces.

Matrixone

matrixone

Pre-shading has now been covered up with the RLM 76.

Matrixone

NARSES2

matrixone

Thanks NARSES2,
I just finished spraying on the first uppersurface color of RLM 82 and most of the pre-shading work that I did on the uppersurface of the fuselage is covered over by the mottling (the Komet I am building has the entire fuselage painted with mottles), this was not wasted effort though and was a great way to stay in practice with the airbrush. I try to follow the advice that was given to me by some airbrush artists on how to improve my painting....practice, practice, and then practice again. ;)

My usual paint for RLM 82 green is a custom mix of Model Master paints and I have ran out of one of the colors I need so I used Xtracolor enamel RLM 82 instead, Xtracolor paints are of good quality and make spraying mottling a breeze because there is almost no tip dry like Model Master paints often do, the downside to Xtracolor enamels is they are a glossy paint and need a full day to dry which means I have to wait a full day before I can handle the model again to spray on the RLM 81. :-\

I will try and get at least one pic today of what the model looks like right now.

Matrixone

matrixone

Two pics showing the Xtracolor RLM 82 green sprayed on the model...

just a short time ago I finished spraying on the last of the camo which was a custom color mix of RLM 81 from Model Master paints, new pics might be posted later today (if it stops raining). :-\

Matrixone

matrixone

Here are two pics after the RLM 81 was sprayed on this morning, the RLM looks way off the mark and appears far too light right now, the problem is the RLM 81 is a dead flat paint and is sitting next to the Xtracolor RLM 82 which is a high gloss paint. Once the final clear flat coat is sprayed on the model both colors will even out and look about right.

After the paint is 100% dry I will mask off the tip of the nose and spray it red.

Matrixone

PR19_Kit

I want to see how it looks with the clear plastic 'rocket flame' attached...............  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

matrixone

Sadly my boxing of this Me 163 is from Testors so no plastic flame is included, no worries though, I have plans for the pics of this one to be interesting anyway. ;)

Matrixone

matrixone

More in-progress piccies...

The model has been given its gloss coat and decals have been put on. The concerns I had over the odd look of the uppersurface colors are gone, after the gloss coat was sprayed on the RLM 81 looked much more brown like I intended.

I like the pic below, it shows how the mottled camouflage can even be effective at close range, notice how well it blends in with the background! ;D

Matrixone