W.I.P. pics of new projects....

Started by matrixone, January 05, 2011, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: matrixone on November 19, 2012, 11:04:05 AM

I think I am turning Japanese oh no I really think so... :-X

There could be a song in there somewhere...

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

matrixone

More in-progress pics of my two Japanese planes...

Some highlights were airbrushed on the uppersurfaces

Here the highlights have been greatly toned down...I only wanted just a hint of the highlights to remain and it gives the paint job a slight texture to it giving the illusion of weathered paint.

The yellow ID markings on the leading edge of the wings have been masked and painted on both models, the Reppu also had some of the operational markings masked and airbrushed on.
The canopies for both models were hand painted...no way was I going to try and mask off all that glass! :o

Matrixone

TallEng

It's a joy watching your work Matrixone :thumbsup:
It makes me think that I really ought to get my Airbrush out again.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

matrixone

Thank you Keith,
I could not imagine NOT using my airbrush for finishing models. ;)

Matrixone

matrixone

Two other 1/72 scale what-ifs just started.

One is the limited run Special Hobby three seat nightfighter, the other is the Revell kit of the Zerstorer version of the Me 262.
The Revell kit is quite nice and looks like everything should fit fine, the Special Hobby kit is very different in quality of parts fit and thus far I have been doing a lot of PSR work and I only joined just a few parts together. :o But I have built a few MPM and Special Hobby older kits before and knew what to expect. ;)

The nightfighter will get the standard camouflage scheme for that type of machine, the Zerstorer will get a more radical camo scheme. :-X

Matrixone

pyro-manic

Quote from: matrixone on December 07, 2012, 03:40:18 PM
Thank you Keith,
I could not imagine NOT using my airbrush for finishing models. ;)

Matrixone

Perhaps you should try it, just to see what you come up with?  Single engine 1:72 kit, give yourself a time limit? Might be an interesting experiment!

I've got the other P1099 (B2 possibly??) Revell did - it does look nice. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, though.

Impressive weathering on the two Japanese planes. Looking forward to seeing them done. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

matrixone

pyro-maniac,
Using a hairy stick to put paint on models is something I hope I never have to do again, back when I was a kid I did brush paint my models but back then model paints covered better than they do now.
Also paints today are spendy and using an airbrush is a more efficient way of getting the paint on the model which means each bottle of paint lasts a little longer. I have been out of work for a long time now and even buying a bottle of paint is tough for me to afford. :-\

I have lost interest in the Japanese planes for the moment but will finish them before the end of the year. ;)

Matrixone

pyro-manic

You make it sound so traumatic! ;D Just thought it might be an interesting thing to try.

Not quite convinced about the economy of airbrushing - there's power, and other expendables (thinner, cleaner etc) to take into account as well. Plus the considerable investment in the brush and compressor etc. I understand you're a big fan though, and you're evidently very good with it. I've just started airbrushing myself, and I'm finding it a lot of hassle to be honest - but then I don't have a dedicated area to set up a spray booth etc, and I'm not really up to speed on thinning, estimating quantities etc. so it's a bit hit-and-miss. Plus masking is one of the most tedious jobs imaginable. There's no denying the finish is miles better though, and it makes painting bright colours and white quite a bit less difficult.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

matrixone

For me it would be very traumatic to go without my airbrush!!! ;D

I pretty much airbrush everything...even the small parts. I like how thin the coats of paint can be and still get even coverage, it allows even the most subtle surface details to still be seen.

Matrixone

matrixone

Not much progress or very good pictures either but its bettr than nothing. :-\

The cockpits of the two what-if Me 262s have been painted...

A VERY poor pic of the two Japanese planes, the pic was taken with bad lighting which makes the colors look wack. :banghead:

Matrixone

matrixone

Slow going on these four models lately, much of my time is being spent on building the three seat Me 262 nightfighter airframe. So far a lot of filling and sanding with super glue has been done but in the end it will be worth it. If you are willing to put in the effort these older Special Hobby kits can turn into good looking models.
In the pic below the tail has been glued on the Special Hobby kit and blended in, the nose still needs plenty of work to fair it in with the fuselage.
The Revell kit has had all the nose weights added to and the fuselage halves are glued together.

The two Japanese planes have had some oil paints added to them, the high gloss on these models prevents the work done with the oil paints from showing up here very well but once the flat clear coats are added it should be visable.

Matrixone

matrixone

The Japanese whiffs are finished, I will have to wait until I get a dry day here to get outside and take proper pics.

Matrixone

matrixone

A couple pics of my 1/8th scale Revell Dracula...
The flesh tone painting is done...the first step for this was painting a thin coat of flat white before adding the flesh tone colors, later on I carefully airbrushed some dark flesh tone color only on the parts of the face that would normally be in shadow as well as the undersurfaces of the hands.

And here are the two Me 262s, almost all of the camo paint is on them now. The Nightfighter still needs a tiny bit of more painting done to it before I can spray a coat of Future on both models.

Matrixone

Ian the Kiwi Herder

You'll see my comment at M.A. !!

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

I like the tiger stripes on the P.1099B, unsual difference to the normal scheme.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.